Feeder dept. 4-10's ?????

1977UPS

Driving a BIGBROWNTURD
Just checking to see if any other Feeder dept. around the country are going back to 4-10's ? This is whats going on as we speak in the Jax feeder dept. Its another way for the company to trim the fat.

Just checking to see if any other Feeder dept. around the country are going back to 4-10's ? This is whats going on as we speak in the Jax feeder dept. Its another way for the company to trim the fat.

Back to 4/10? We never had it as long as I`ve been with the company. I`d be happy to do 4/12 any time they want to implement it.

lastoasis

the problem with 4/10's is that you probably won't have a long weekend. We have some that are sat,sun,tues,wed. usually the low seniority drivers have to take these runs, which is a good gauge if they are desirable bids.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Funny thing about the concept of 4 10's. Before implementation of EDD they had all of us time studied, anyhow this guy rode with me whose sole job at UPS was to do time studies. Guess what he worked 4 10's. This came up in conversation while I inquired into his desire to ever be a driver, he said no due to the difficulty of our job. Anyway I asked why 4 10's, his answer was that UPS is very aware that the driver job in almost all cases goes beyond 10 hours a day. So to avoid paying these guys overtime they work 4 10 hour shifts.

I walked away from this with two thoughts. First it's a funny thing what UPS will admit to behind closed doors. Secondly it says a lot that someone whose job is to go around and time study drivers with the parameters that UPS sets forth, comes to the conclusion that not only is our job extremely difficult but almost impossible to do consistently under their parameters. Funny, no just UPS!

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
We had hourly 4 x10's but a bid or so ago they were changed to hourly 5 x 8's when the meetpoint on the job was changed to a new location an hour closer than the previous meetpoint. We still have 4 day mileage jobs. Those jobs average 11 to 12 hours a day but are paid in mileage not hourly(unless delay time happens)

claym1313

upscowboy
We were going to do it here in Memphis feeders. They posted a bid and it created about 20 new runs. Our district boss got wind of it and stopped it. We have lost 35 runs in 2 years and those of us on-call are screwed. We have to be laid off to go back to the hub or package, and they keep saying they might need us.

trickpony1

I would love to go to 4 -10s.

Just some observations of my experiences:
-I've seen "4-10s" end up being "4-11s" and "4-12s";
-If you have enough seniority, you can bid your day off to make a three day weekend. If not, you will be off a day during the week;
-I've seen drivers that did nothing but sleep on their "third day off";
-I've seen a driver that turned his run in 8 or 8 1/2 hours and thought he could go home and get paid for 10 hours. Guess what? They found something extra for him to do until his 10 was up.
-Think you're gonna come back and do extra work for OT?, not if you've used up all your drive time.
These are what I have seen. Your situation may be different.
OOPS! I forgot.....you may make way less money on a 4-10.
Be careful what you wish for.........

tarbar66

Mileage runs are the way to go if you to cover long feeder movements. Back in the 80's they tried to start 4-10's in my district. The Union agreed to the proposed change but IE and the on road group decided it would cause more problems than it was worth.

Fast forward to 2005 or so and Fast Lane was instituted with mileage drivers. 2 drivers could move loads from Toledo, OH to Parsipanny, NJ. instead of 3 or 4 hourly drivers. The savings in start work , turn around and finish work were easy to see. Tractor utilization improved and everyone is happy except the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission.

I don't see any 4-10's going away unless they are replaced with mileage runs.