Feeding animals on your route. On topic only...please.

Should you feed the animals?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
29 years without a dog bite? Well as you clearly posted in the top post there is no reason why you shouldn't have a perfect record on dog issues. I'll let you in on a little secret I delivered non rural resis for close to fifteen years without a dog issue and I never carried a dog biscuit in my life.
Hopefully your biscuits will never kill someone's dog after some poor cover guy hands them out due to some allergy. I can read it now, I got fired for handing out dog biscuits like the regular guy. SMH
In 29 years I have never once had a dog get ill, much less die, from eating a biscuit. If the owner doesnt want the dog to eat a biscuit, it shouldnt be running loose on a farm to jump up in my truck in the first place. These are rural farm dogs we are talking about that catch squirrels and eat cat poop and horse poop and dirt. A biscuit isnt going to hurt them.
Also, in the Western Conference there is a list of 7 specific offenses we can be discharged for without first receiving a warning letter. Handing out a dog biscuit isnt one of them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I carried dog biscuits too but also I wasn't afraid to give the boot to any dog that didn't appreciate them.
I have had to kick a dog one time. By "kick" I dont mean gently sweeping a yippy ankle biter with my boot, I mean kicking it HARD. This was a German Shepherd who was coming full bore ready to maul me. It ignored the biscuit I tossed at it so I kicked it as hard as I could and caught it square in the ribs. I would have shot it if I had been armed. This was in town, I had never met the dog, and a child had let it out by mistake. I think I busted its ribs, it yelped and ran off. Never saw it again.

By The Book

I have had to kick a dog one time. By "kick" I dont mean gently sweeping a yippy ankle biter with my boot, I mean kicking it HARD. This was a German Shepherd who was coming full bore ready to maul me. It ignored the biscuit I tossed at it so I kicked it as hard as I could and caught it square in the ribs. I would have shot it if I had been armed. This was in town, I had never met the dog, and a child had let it out by mistake. I think I busted its ribs, it yelped and ran off. Never saw it again.
We now know after many years how to avoid these types of situations..........for the most part. We size up the area and call out, whistle, what have you. I now know to get to stepping when I hear a dog in the house and someone's coming to meet me. I had a homeowner leave a note once to leave pkg in garage......well as I opened the walk in door next to the roll up a dog came through a doggie door from the garage to the side yard. End result, I was bit before my second step into the garage. I don't do that anymore without being sure there's no dog around.

10 point

Dog treats are a necessity for a cover driver's bag, especially on rural routes. I keep a few in my pocket at all times. Never know when one will hop out from a cracked garage door or around from the backyard. I won't risk an attempt at all if they're loose and barking when I approach, but once you're halfway to the door WTF you gonna do? Best to have a distraction ready to go.
I carry bazooka chewing gum. It ties up the big dogs longer than treats.

10 point

Last spring one of our newer drivers was delivering resis in town when two dogs came from across the street and went around the truck after him. The first one bit the driver on his calf and then the second dog bit the first dog.

The guy across the street was taking out his trash, saw what happened and yelled to scare the dogs off but they turned on him and chased him into his house.

Where's your helper when you need him?

10 point

When I run resis off the North side of my route I can tell that the driver that loops me feeds them. They continuously jump into my cab licking their lips waiting on a treat.
Very annoying and some get angry if I don't feed them.

8 Hour Day

I know the names of more dogs on my route than people. I only feed the nice ones, and have managed to get all the mean ones set up as HPU.

I worry about people who don't like dogs... Weird.

10 point

I know the names of more dogs on my route than people. I only feed the nice ones, and have managed to get all the mean ones set up as HPU.

I worry about people who don't like dogs... Weird.
I like dogs. I just don't like when they take those sharp bones that are attached to their gums and perforate my skin with them when you're not looking.

And they're often like people. The more free food you give them the more they want.

Keenj

I did at first when I was a seasonal and noticed that I had to chase a few dogs from the package car towards the end of the holidays since they got used to it. Now I'm qualifying and I had to start carrying a few on me just to get dogs off my car. The last guy who had this route must have fed every dog he saw and it's not uncommon for me to have a dog follow me from the car and back and trying to get in the car expecting a treat. I just toss them out the door to make them go away. 9 times out of 10 it's a Labrador which are my favorite dogs and I have two of my own so I kinda feel bad chasing them off but I have to make scratch time. The nice thing is I've only met one aggressive dog on this route and I'm not afraid to feed him his masters Amazon package.

Rack em

Made the Podium
So you're in your 30 days and you are already not following methods by leaving packages with dogs? You should be sheeting it and NI1 and put dog in the remarks. I would wait until you're qualified to stray away from the methods.

Keenj

It was let him bite the package or let him bite me. I'm happy with my choice.

It was a long drive way (75 yards) I walked so by the time I noticed the dog sleeping in the garage, he was getting up and coming at me. No notes on the DIAD to warn me.