Financial Analyst: Teamsters Agreement Bad Deal for UPS.

JL 0513

Teamster agreement a 'bad deal' for UPS: Analyst

The perspective from Wall Street and business analysts calling this $30B pay increase concerning for UPS. I'm not taking their side but point this out in light of so many part timers slamming the deal. People need to understand that yes, UPS makes a ton of money, but they are also a business in a competitive market and they've just agreed to something they didn't want to do. It will mean significant rate increases on customers to cover the costs and sets Fed-Ex up nicely to do the same. The idea that people are demanding much more is fantasy land. The idea that they've willingly worked here for years and now on the eve of their best contract ever are voting no is so phony.

some1else

Banned

The perspective from Wall Street and business analysts calling this $30B pay increase concerning for UPS. I'm not taking their side but point this out in light of so many part timers slamming the deal. People need to understand that yes, UPS makes a ton of money, but they are also a business in a competitive market and they've just agreed to something they didn't want to do. It will mean significant rate increases on customers to cover the costs and sets Fed-Ex up nicely to do the same. The idea that people are demanding much more is fantasy land. The idea that they've willingly worked here for years and now on the eve of their best contract ever are voting no is so phony.
The contract 15 years ago was much better. Many coworkers and myself bought houses that the mortgage is about 50x the hourly rate at the time. Those same house now cost over 100x our current hourly rate. Those 2000s contract are way better than the one you are cheerleading under which the new guys will never be able to buy a decent house in many areas. At least I got mine right?

JL 0513

The contract 15 years ago was much better. Many coworkers and myself bought houses that the mortgage is about 50x the hourly rate at the time. Those same house now cost over 100x our current hourly rate. Those 2000s contract are way better than the one you are cheerleading under which the new guys will never be able to buy a decent house in many areas. At least I got mine right?
There's lots of economic variables in the world, housing is certainly one. It's not fair that our grandparents bought their houses for less than a Toyota Corolla costs. Housing today is ridiculous but I don't think we can expect to make $75-$100/hr to deliver packages.

some1else

Banned
Housing today is ridiculous but I don't think we can expect to make $75-$100/hr to deliver packages.
Well…. Uhhh… hmmm… sorry yea I can expect 75$. Don’t let your lack of imagination hold you back brother
And it’s just not expecting that, that is how much I got paid 15 years ago in real money. The same house I bought would have a payment more the 2.5x what my payment is currently. That would be right about 80$ an hour to be samsies. Ups shipping rates have also double since then.

Pullman Brown

Um.. that would assume a basic economic understanding of capitalism, which is a big assumption.

Pullman Brown

The economic situation in our country is a lot different than the 2000’s. Until the country starts dealing with the supply side of the economy, incentivizing production and growth, rewarding entrepreneurship it’s going to continue down this japanification trajectory. Our company is in the midst of larger macroeconomic realities that a contract can’t fix. This is a good contract for the larger economic realities that our country is facing!

JL 0513

Well…. Uhhh… hmmm… sorry yea I can expect 75$. Don’t let your lack of imagination hold you back brother
And it’s just not expecting that, that is how much I got paid 15 years ago in real money. The same house I bought would have a payment more the 2.5x what my payment is currently. That would be right about 80$ an hour to be samsies. Ups shipping rates have also double since then.
Bottom line is you have to compare our wages to all others and in that reality, we are paid extremely well for the work. If UPS already pays the highest wages by a wide margin, how much further can they really go before completely handing it over to the competition?

Thebrownblob

Bottom line is you have to compare our wages to all others and in that reality, we are paid extremely well for the work. If UPS already pays the highest wages by a wide margin, how much further can they really go before completely handing it over to the competition?
These hard vote no people really thought we were getting $50 August 1. Sorry it doesn’t work that way you’re a piss poor money management is not the companies or unions problem. Most drivers will make more than most of the union officials that they’re bitching about and have better insurance and better retirement.

Pullman Brown

These hard vote no people really thought we were getting $50 August 1. Sorry it doesn’t work that way you’re a piss poor money management is not the companies or unions problem. Most drivers will make more than most of the union officials that they’re bitching about and have better insurance and better retirement.

Like I said, it’s just a basic understanding of economics.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I think the issue is that we haven't seen inflation like this in 40+ years, the entire working lifetimes of most of the people covered by this contract.

I'm not sure we can ask for the company to make up for all of it, but they have raised their prices so they can pay up quite a bit.

The raises are 'historic', but so is the level of inflation. I think the contract is fine, but I understand why people aren't thrilled about it too.

some1else

Banned
Very clear blob. I got mine. My house is 1400$ a month I’m fine. I think it’s unfair to the next generation of drivers that the exact same house costs them 4500$ now. What does that have to do with piss poor money management? That’s my personal example In a high cost of living area for a modest 1900sqft house

Nationally the average is 435k which with 3.5% down is still ~3200$. That is 50% of the monthly take home for most top rate drivers. your housing if you’re not “piss poor” with money management is supposed to be 25%. This job used to be one you could buy a national average house with 1 paycheck a month now it’s 2. That is not a historic win it’s half as good as before.

guys that came before me fought hard to put me in a good spot. saying I’m fine so I don’t need to fight so the next guys coming in can have a similar quality of life is not what a union brother is supposed to do.

Those of you better at economics can explain if a job with a lot of forced overtime does not pay enough to buy an average house in the country Is that a “historic” win? The best thing for me would be really strong 9.5 language and pension increase the pay rate matters little in my situation but the best thing for fellow union brothers especially those starting out or trying to start a family is for me not to be selfish like y’all

Last edited:

Pullman Brown

Very clear blob. I got mine. My house is 1400$ a month I’m fine. I think it’s unfair to the next generation of drivers that the exact same house costs them 4500$ now. What does that have to do with piss poor money management? That’s my personal example In a high cost of living area for a modest 1900sqft house

Nationally the average is 435k which with 3.5% down is still ~3200$. That is 50% of the monthly take home for most top rate drivers. your housing if you’re not “piss poor” with money management is supposed to be 25%. This job used to be one you could buy a national average house with 1 paycheck a month now it’s 2. That is not a historic win it’s half as good as before.

guys that came before me fought hard to put me in a good spot. saying I’m fine so I don’t need to fight so the next guys coming in can have a similar quality of life is not what a union brother is supposed to do.

Those of you better at economics can explain if a job with a lot of forced overtime does not pay enough to buy an average house in the country Is that a “historic” win?

If you want a vote no campaign then vote no on these idiot politicians who implement rent controls etc. that don’t allow more housing to be built which is causing these astronomically ridiculous price increase in these cities. Decision have consequences!

Last edited:

some1else

Banned
If you want a vote no campaign then vote no on these idiot politicians who implement rent controls etc. that don’t allow more housing to be built which is causing these astronomically ridiculous price increase in these cities. Decision have consequences!

That’s part of it but the only thing that can raise prices on everything is putting more money on the monopoly board by printing it. But I agree that policy raises the prices, as well as subsidized mortgages. Without government backed 30year loans prices would be much lower.

Thebrownblob

Those of you better at economics can explain if a job with a lot of forced overtime does not pay enough to buy an average house in the country Is that a “historic” win? The best thing for me would be really strong 9.5 language and pension increase the pay rate matters little in my situation but the best thing for fellow union brothers especially those starting out or trying to start a family is for me not to be selfish like y’all
Lol I got mine? We didn’t even have 9.5 when I started. You’re using your labor to make money, and now you make more because of the language. Have you ever settled a grievance with the company? Have you ever negotiated a contract? Do you have any idea what’s involved? Can you show me what industry is getting 35 and 40% increase after also being the top paid in their industry to begin with? It’s a lot of talk for someone who’s decided to vote no. I think it’s great vote no. I’ve never voted yes for a contract. And this is by far the best contract that’s been offered to me. Voted down and you still won’t be happy with what’s renegotiated I can promise you.

Thebrownblob

That’s part of it but the only thing that can raise prices on everything is putting more money on the monopoly board by printing it. But I agree that policy raises the prices, as well as subsidized mortgages. Without government backed 30year loans prices would be much lower.
You’re blaming the union and the company for a government created problem.

some1else

Banned
Can you show me what industry is getting? 35 and 40% increase is after also being the top paid in their industry to begin with?
IMG_4445.jpeg

It’s a lot of talk for someone who’s decided to vote no. I think it’s great vote no. I’ve never voted yes for a contract. And this is by far the best contract that’s been offered to me. Voted down and you still won’t be happy with what’s renegotiated I can promise you

If you have been here over 10 years this is not the best contract that has ever been offered to you. I showed you the data that it takes twice as many hours to pay for an average mortgage under this contract as 10-15 years ago that is not better. Maybe you mean you feel that it is better? Or if you leave out the parts that relate to the purpose of going to work, to get money to pay for things, it’s the best other than the fact you have to work twice the hours to get the same quality of life

Thebrownblob

View attachment 440144

It’s a lot of talk for someone who’s decided to vote no. I think it’s great vote no. I’ve never voted yes for a contract. And this is by far the best contract that’s been offered to me. Voted down and you still won’t be happy with what’s renegotiated I can promise you

If you have been here over 10 years this is not the best contract that has ever been offered to you. I showed you the data that it takes twice as many hours to pay for an average mortgage under this contract as 10-15 years ago that is not better. Maybe you mean you feel that it is better?
Lol you drive a truck and deliver boxes you’re not a pilot :censored2: get back to me after you spend dozens of years training and thousands of dollars of your own money to become a pilot dip:censored2:. And they haven’t even won yet. 😂

Pullman Brown

View attachment 440144

If you have been here over 10 years this is not the best contract that has ever been offered to you. I showed you the data that it takes twice as many hours to pay for an average mortgage under this contract as 10-15 years ago that is not better. Maybe you mean you feel that it is better? Or if you leave out the parts that relate to the purpose of going to work, to get money to pay for things, it’s the best other than the fact you have to work twice the hours to get the same quality of life

You’re not comparing apples to apples.