Firing and suspensions for misloads

SWORDFISH

This post smells a little fishy.

1. You worked as a preloader and 22.3 for 20 years I want to know how you got the 22.3 job without driving? The progression for Union people go PT, FT Driver, than feeder or 22.3 jobs .
What are you doing loading package cars again?

2. With 20 years of service you should know how the system works becasue with that much time you must have been written up and threaten with suspension and termination more than once.

3. You got a suspension letter in the mail but where never verbaly warned or written up with a steward witnessing it? Better yet told that your where getting suspended.

4. Article 22.3 jobs have not been around for ever (meaning they use to be full paying jobs.)

UPSguy the 22.3 jobs in my center are held by non and never where drivers. One of them does a little work on the preload for part of his 8hrs. Also I have had a suspension that I didnt know about before as well. Of course I ended up fighting it and winning but it happend.

SWORDFISH

Have you heard of firings and or suspensions for misloads by preloaders. I've worked as a preloader and 22.3 for 20 years just got a suspension letter for misloads over half of them were never brought to my attention.

I would concern yourself less w/ speed and more w/ effeciency. As I used to say when I was on preload "stack them up". Also contact your union and make sure your fighting your suspension.

KingofBrown

Same thing here. They've said they'll start giving warning letters for misloads, haven't seen one, yet, although there are misloads everyday. These are just empty threats, file a grievance if you get a warning letter.

KingofBrown

The answer to your question is YES, there have been many suspensions served in our local due to misloads. I would suggest you take more time and make sure your accuracy is first, speed second!!

yeah, if they don't want misloads, they'll have sacrifice time. there's no other way.

about the suspensions, what have the union done about them?

In my center our sup comes around and makes you sign a peice of paper that shows the misload. One guy told me that after so many, UPS will mail you a letter(intent to suspend) from the USPS and he said you have to sign for it. He told me he just RTS the first time and doesnt answer the door now it and they never suspended him.......Dont know if its true though.

705red

Browncafe Steward
How can your local allow any discipline for misloads? There is no standard in place, nothing explaining whats fair. We have had 3 terminations for missorts with all 3 being put back by the arbitrator with FULL BACK PAY!

Your local might need to get their head out of their asses.IMO

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In my center our sup comes around and makes you sign a peice of paper that shows the misload. One guy told me that after so many, UPS will mail you a letter(intent to suspend) from the USPS and he said you have to sign for it. He told me he just RTS the first time and doesnt answer the door now it and they never suspended him.......Dont know if its true though.
It doesn't matter if he RTS'd it. It was sent out and returned. The company has proof of the attempt. It will go on file and it can and will be used against him if the company decides to.

SWORDFISH

How can your local allow any discipline for misloads? There is no standard in place, nothing explaining whats fair. We have had 3 terminations for missorts with all 3 being put back by the arbitrator with FULL BACK PAY!

Your local might need to get their head out of their asses.IMO

Im speculating here but alot of people say things like people are getting suspensions and fired when they recieve the letter or are verbally told. They forget about the union process. What probably actually resulted was what you stated RED. I was just talking to the part timers tonight w/ the other steward about making sure they file grievances challengeing the charges vs them.

HBGPreloader

In the center where I work, the rules seem to keep changing. But, you can be suspended and terminated for misloads. Several people have been disciplined lately, including myself.

We were recently told that our "goal" is now 1 for 2,500 but warnings and suspensions seem to be applied arbitrarily.

The other quota we're supposed to meet is a load frequency of about 210 pph, more or less.

Although I accepted my most recent suspension (I wanted a day off), I've filed several grievances on this. None have been heard yet though.

Checkers

browniehound

I really don't know the answer to your question, but my guess would be they won't fire you for misloads. How about this solution to your problem? Why don't you just don't misload any more? I understand people make mistakes, but 6/day every day?? I get 1-2 misloads a day, EVERY day. At this level its not a case of human error, its just pure lazyness and not paying attention to detail.

UPS is 50% to blame. They took the "mind" out of it with PAS. "Now we can get anybody off of the street and have them on a pull the next day". How is that working out for you UPS? Probably about the same as that "hopey changey thing" is working out for the American people with Obama.

Before PAS I would get about 1 misload a week because the preloader knew the addresses and actually had to think which car it went on. Now, they just look at the PAL and put it where it says. Problem is, they're walking into the wrong car 6 times a day. Also, now because of PAS I have brilliant preloaders that will put a zone of 25 packages on the shelf and then throw 30 house-calls on the floor because he has no room left on the shelf in which he put 25 package for one stop????

How does this company make any money? They are so tight when it comes to labor on the preload. Once the drivers get on the belt, the preloaders are cut loose. Why not keep the preloaders there at 9.50/hour to get the driver out quicker? The driver is making $44/ hour to do a job that can be completed by someone making $9.50/hour just so the preload can make its numbers.

They push and push production on the preload. My question becomes: WHY? UPS is getting its labor for as close to minimum wage and slave status as pratically possible. Why not push service?

Why not? Let's slow the preload down a notch. Let's start them a few minutes early and push service. If you think about it, 1 driver taking 30 minutes to deliver 1 misload costs about 2 hours+ in preload labor. Why look to cut minutes on the preload?

If it were my business it would be the driver labor force in which I would "pinch minutes" .

If we slow them down and they are still misloading then I would go back to cracking the whip and look for another solution to the misload problem.

These are my thought at least...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Good thoughts Brownie.

Here is another thought for the OP and any other preloaders that are having a hard time with misloads. I'm not trying to be a bitch about this. It is an honest and fair question. Have you taken the time to have your vision checked? I know for me personally, I have to wear reading glasses. Even when reading the PAS labels I mis-read the numbers sometimes and the PAS labels are a standard size (meaning they are all the same). The shipping labels are even worse for me because they are not uniform. One of my major complaints is that UPS does not require a minimum font size. Night time is even worse yet.

We had a preloader for a short while that was having a terrible time with misloads. Come to find out, she wore reading glasses but would not wear them while working. She didn't last long as a preloader.

slantnosechevy

Dilligaf is right. You can RTS those certfied letters all day long. They still review the letter with you and a steward. LOL Nice try. You think this guy is the first rocket scientist to think of this? There are only a few ways out of a warning letter or suspension:1. Management doesn't file the paperwork in a timely manner,2. Someone higher up in the Mngmt. food chain says back off before paperwork is finalized and presented, 3. Paper work is filed and there's a grievance filed and panel rules in favor of the grievant. GRIEVE ALL WARNING LETTERS And SUSPENSIONS!!

SWORDFISH

I really don't know the answer to your question, but my guess would be they won't fire you for misloads. How about this solution to your problem? Why don't you just don't misload any more? I understand people make mistakes, but 6/day every day?? I get 1-2 misloads a day, EVERY day. At this level its not a case of human error, its just pure lazyness and not paying attention to detail.

UPS is 50% to blame. They took the "mind" out of it with PAS. "Now we can get anybody off of the street and have them on a pull the next day". How is that working out for you UPS? Probably about the same as that "hopey changey thing" is working out for the American people with Obama.

Before PAS I would get about 1 misload a week because the preloader knew the addresses and actually had to think which car it went on. Now, they just look at the PAL and put it where it says. Problem is, they're walking into the wrong car 6 times a day. Also, now because of PAS I have brilliant preloaders that will put a zone of 25 packages on the shelf and then throw 30 house-calls on the floor because he has no room left on the shelf in which he put 25 package for one stop????

How does this company make any money? They are so tight when it comes to labor on the preload. Once the drivers get on the belt, the preloaders are cut loose. Why not keep the preloaders there at 9.50/hour to get the driver out quicker? The driver is making $44/ hour to do a job that can be completed by someone making $9.50/hour just so the preload can make its numbers.

They push and push production on the preload. My question becomes: WHY? UPS is getting its labor for as close to minimum wage and slave status as pratically possible. Why not push service?

Why not? Let's slow the preload down a notch. Let's start them a few minutes early and push service. If you think about it, 1 driver taking 30 minutes to deliver 1 misload costs about 2 hours+ in preload labor. Why look to cut minutes on the preload?

If it were my business it would be the driver labor force in which I would "pinch minutes" .

If we slow them down and they are still misloading then I would go back to cracking the whip and look for another solution to the misload problem.

These are my thought at least...

You forgot to add that now when you get a misload, instead of it being close to your area alot of times its in a whole other city w/ the new system. I tend to agree w/ your thoughts. I think that UPS doesnt try to look at the big picture they look at each micro picture and try to get the perfect world scenario out of each scenario instead of like you said spending more time on getting the loads done and right from the cheap workers and get the drivers out on the road ontime and earlier(for instance we dont start till 9am and when I first started it was 8am) w/ good loads and adequate time to get nda, businesses and resi's done w/ out skipping all over and look all over the place or getting help.

Raw

Raw Member
Great points the few previous threads! I personally now have to wear glasses all day to read the pkgs. and diad and my loader is about my same age, I personally don`t know how he can read the labels in the dark building and pkg car. 1 or 2 misloads can add a good 30 minutes to my day if I have to deliver them which gets me so angry I basically take pics of numbers that are 1440 hin being written on the pkg in big crayon as 7440 and bieng loaded at 7440 which then I have to go back and deliver or CCC being put on my car when I`m DDD, this makes my numbers with O/U allowed look worse than it should, you better believe I DEMAND management correct my preloader! Maybe this is what UPS likes, having driver turn against loader but don`t ask me about my numbers when my loader can`t read!! I`m just happy I`m off the radar because I`m actually showing great numbers right now with my new route! :knockedout:

konsole

Ya I would have to side on the opinion that the PAS system is making misloads worse. I load 3 trucks, 1 smaller truck that I wouldnt know whats on it if you asked me, and this truck I load according to the PAL labels. The other 2 trucks I load are 2 mall vans and I don't read the PAL labels at all on them, unless these packages are notorious for having wrong labels. So since the original UPS label is what matters I rarely ever get misloads on these mall vans. I've memorized these 2 mall vans so well that they feel really personal to me. The smaller truck that I focus on the PAL labels is were almost all my misloads are and the truck just feels like an afterthought.

KingofBrown

Never sign anything. And first of all make sure you read it. They get tricky at times.

krap5

All good points on the previous posts. I started 20 years ago when you had to know your routes and addresses. I still load my mall car by reading to address because its never been correctly labeled. I also wear reading glasses and is dark in one of my trucks. I take pride in loading FOR the driver.