First Responder

Double0

I've been asked if I want to be a first responder for my sort (for hazmats). I don't know anything about hazmats really. I'm sure they would teach me. My questions are,

What does the physical include?
Do I get better pay?

Basically. Why should I say yes? ( my sup said I didn't have to) I mean I like learning new things. I've learned so much in just a year. What are the pros and cons, because my first thought was yes, now I don't know what to think. Any input and feedback would be appreciated.

T

Turdferguson

Physical requirements are you have to pass a SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) test.
Here they do not make any extra per hour. Not considered " skilled" job

Box Ox

I've never met a part timer who was glad they volunteered for extra or other duties offered by the Company. You'll be taken advantage of every time. Especially if the gig involves cleaning up some of the worst crap you can be exposed to for no additional pay.

Double0

That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the feedback, I don't think ill say yes lol. There doesn't seem to be any benefit. I agree if they know I volunteered for it they could try to take advantage of me later.

DriverNerd

I was a responder for 4 years before I became a driver, and I really liked the job. It was always different, work went by fast, and I got a bunch of overtime. That all being said, unless you specifically are wanting an opportunity for more hours there is no benefit to being a responder over any other job. It's still a dirty, sweaty job.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
Physical requirements are you have to pass a SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) test.
Here they do not make any extra per hour. Not considered " skilled" job

i believe they did away with the SCBA requirement and equipment. an outside company is now called in for any spills that require that

oldngray

nowhere special
It is still required here. Perhaps not in larger centers though.

My building never had SCBA. The designated responders could spread absorbent and clean up small spills. The fire dept was only a few minutes away to take care of anything requiring breathing equipment. For other problems like fuel spills there was an outside contractor.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
My building never had SCBA. The designated responders could spread absorbent and clean up small spills. The fire dept was only a few minutes away to take care of anything requiring breathing equipment. For other problems like fuel spills there was an outside contractor.
Here we require it because the closest contractor is probably a couple hours away. I had to go through the process when I did my stint on preload.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
my bad...found out yesterday its not district/local wide. it is just our building and another that did away with the tanks. not sure why.