First Responder

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Double0, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Double0

Double0 New Member

I've been asked if I want to be a first responder for my sort (for hazmats). I don't know anything about hazmats really. I'm sure they would teach me. My questions are,

What does the physical include?
    Do I get better pay?

Basically. Why should I say yes? ( my sup said I didn't have to) I mean I like learning new things. I've learned so much in just a year. What are the pros and cons, because my first thought was yes, now I don't know what to think. Any input and feedback would be appreciated.
  2. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Physical requirements are you have to pass a SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) test.
    Here they do not make any extra per hour. Not considered " skilled" job
  3. Savvy412

Savvy412 Active Member

Don't do it . Everyone regrets it .
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

No extra cash unless there is a real mess to clean up.
  5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

You put leaking packages in a driver release bags and go about your day.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

A lot of extra hours for training and cleaning up messes after everyone else has left. More opportunities' to double shift because of vacations or the other sorts responder quit. Most people do regret it really soon.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Box Ox

Box Ox Would rather be driving an E-frame

I've never met a part timer who was glad they volunteered for extra or other duties offered by the Company. You'll be taken advantage of every time. Especially if the gig involves cleaning up some of the worst crap you can be exposed to for no additional pay.
  8. Double0

Double0 New Member

That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the feedback, I don't think ill say yes lol. There doesn't seem to be any benefit. I agree if they know I volunteered for it they could try to take advantage of me later.
  9. DriverNerd

DriverNerd Member

I was a responder for 4 years before I became a driver, and I really liked the job. It was always different, work went by fast, and I got a bunch of overtime. That all being said, unless you specifically are wanting an opportunity for more hours there is no benefit to being a responder over any other job. It's still a dirty, sweaty job.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. paul the clerk

paul the clerk just chillin'

i believe they did away with the SCBA requirement and equipment. an outside company is now called in for any spills that require that
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. QualityLoads

QualityLoads Active Member

Expect to use a lot of kitty litter
  12. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

They wouldn't let me do it because I couldn't pass the lung capacity part of it
  13. rod

rod retired and happy

Damn---you would think a turd would be more than qualified to clean up crap.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

I am lazier than the average turd though
  15. paul the clerk

i passed the first year and i was a back up that never got trained proper and luckily never had to respond. failed the second year and gave it up
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  16. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Split driver left a yellow bottle. Come fetch it.
  17. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

It is still required here. Perhaps not in larger centers though.
  18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

My building never had SCBA. The designated responders could spread absorbent and clean up small spills. The fire dept was only a few minutes away to take care of anything requiring breathing equipment. For other problems like fuel spills there was an outside contractor.
  19. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Here we require it because the closest contractor is probably a couple hours away. I had to go through the process when I did my stint on preload.
  20. paul the clerk

my bad...found out yesterday its not district/local wide. it is just our building and another that did away with the tanks. not sure why.