Flavor of the Month--Pickup Compliance

ummm... do you work for UPS?.... this isnt about p/u times... this is about looking good on reports.... when you break up routes you change the time you can get to you pickups if you run the route the way it makes sense...

Sure you can break off, then you are running all over the place and yes that makes no sense if you are adding 50 miles to your run

33 yrs...Next question.

tourists24

then my response would be to turn off the thinking mechanism and just become a robot. If I cant make decisions then screw it.... I'll run exactly as EDD tells me.... and those pickups will be EXACTLY on time... It may take a couple of extra hours but hey, Im not paid to think; just deliver and pickup the way the computer says

upsgrunt

ummm... do you work for UPS?.... this isnt about p/u times... this is about looking good on reports.... when you break up routes you change the time you can get to you pickups if you run the route the way it makes sense...

Sure you can break off, then you are running all over the place and yes that makes no sense if you are adding 50 miles to your run

If it adds 50 miles so what? You are working as directed and the extra mileage would have to be figured into the ingredients of that particular route. I feel that your pickups should start at the same time every day and should finish at about the same time every day. Stop what your doing at 2:30 or 3:00 and go do them and let the chips fall where they may.

tourists24

If it adds 50 miles so what? You are working as directed and the extra mileage would have to be figured into the ingredients of that particular route. I feel that your pickups should start at the same time every day and should finish at about the same time every day. Stop what your doing at 2:30 or 3:00 and go do them and let the chips fall where they may.
Ultimately you are right.... I simply hate wasting time and resources when things can be done more effectively.... but then again we are talking UPS right?

Thanks for your reply on this. That's the same point I've been trying to make.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What does refusing to run your route in a stupid manner or running it in a way that makes the most sense have to do with starting your pickups on time. Wherever you are, at a certain time you have to break off (if not done) and start your p/u's. It happens all the time.
I understand what you are saying here but I have to agree with Tourists in that if I am running a rural rte it makes no sense, what so ever, to break for p/u's. In some cases you have to, but I think that most rural rtes are (or should be) designed in such a way that p/u's are supposed to be done in trace. Most rural customers understand this. NDA acct's are obviously the exception.

Condensed rtes are different (in town/city), they usually have alot of p/u's (20-30-40) and have to be run independantly of deliveries.

I understand what you are saying here but I have to agree with Tourists in that if I am running a rural rte it makes no sense, what so ever, to break for p/u's. In some cases you have to, but I think that most rural rtes are (or should be) designed in such a way that p/u's are supposed to be done in trace. Most rural customers understand this. NDA acct's are obviously the exception.

Condensed rtes are different (in town/city), they usually have alot of p/u's (20-30-40) and have to be run independantly of deliveries.

Maybe that is why there is a misunderstanding....I am refering to a metro rt. When it comes to real rural the p/u's should be made on area.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Maybe that is why there is a misunderstanding....I am refering to a metro rt. When it comes to real rural the p/u's should be made on area.
I do a tight route. 7 of my pick ups are on area, which I do early. With the add/cuts I've been getting, I'm getting to my early pick ups at totally different times. My other 23 pick ups are usually done close to scheduled time, though if I get ahead, I just go ahead and complete them.

I have 2 choices in this. I can sit and wait at the stop for the right time, or I can continue on, finish my pick ups and my deliveries and try to make 9/5. I will not prerecord them and then stop complete them at the "proper" time, as this, I believe, is dishonest.

some1else

Banned
I will not prerecord them and then stop complete them at the "proper" time, as this, I believe, is dishonest.
like i said earlier you dont want unaccounted packages on your truck. how do you explain to LP why there are 10 laptops in your truck that arent recorded in the diad as a p/u?

gray squirrel

The pick up compliance is a big joke, probably thought up by someone in a soft chair, trying to get another feather. Our start time varies depending upon a shuttle that arrives whenever they can get to our center. I think a solution to this problem that UPS has given us is to break off. If every driver broke off trace, made the pick up, and then got back on trace, can you imagine what it would do for our mileage as a company. Our paid day would be greater, and maybe UPS would have to hire more drivers (yeah right). I have talked to all my pick up customers that state as long as I make the pick up before they close, no big deal.

NI1

I did between 5-7% all week because when I had my 3 day the supe he adjusted my pick up and he told me he will change the pu times but he didnt. Thats why before they even opened their mouth I pointed to the sup and they let me go.lol