FMLA and Paid family leave

Bucko55

Hi all,
I have been looking for a clear answer with no success and am hoping someone here has some insight on this.
My wife and I are having a baby next month and I am looking to take the fmla time off for paternal bonding. UPS says I get up to 12 weeks unpaid time off. EDD will pay me "disability" for 6 of those weeks.

However, UPS says that I am required have my vacation time (sans 1 week) paid for the first part of my fmla time.
Does this mean that I will only get paid a TOTAL of 6 weeks? (2 from UPS vacation, 4 from EDD) Or can I potentially have 8 weeks off paid? (2 vacation, 6 EDD)
Does anyone have experience with this?

Oh, I'm in California BTW.

Hope someone has been through this.
thanks,
​Bucko

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Same in my state (NJ). You drain all vacation, then FML kicks in.

Good luck with the baby!

Cementups

Box Monkey
UPS doesn't tell you can take 12 weeks (in a year). FMLA does and UPS has to grant that. Keep in mind, that you do not have to take all the time in 12 concurrent weeks. You can take a week here and there or even days at a time if need be.

Yes, you have to exhaust all but one of your paid vacation weeks. If you get three weeks, then you would get paid for two of those with your FMLA leave and then still have the last week to take as you choose (already scheduled). I'm not sure what EDD is though, so I can't help you there, but from what you're saying that you will get paid for 6 weeks form them, then yes, you would get paid 8 weeks total. You can also exhaust any unused sick or option days for pay if you ave any available.

Congrats as well.

FYI, I originally put in for 6 weeks off but at the end of the fourth week, the wife told me to go back to work. Plus I was bored silly. She had it all under control so we were good. So I called into work and asked if I could come back 2 weeks earlier. No problem.