kmkshakey

I'll be at my first year soon. PT loader (BIC) :). Anyway, I noticed that I don't understand half of the acronyms used in these forums, so I went searching for a list of them, and I found it. It's at the UPSers.com website. I'd post the direct link but it's ridiculously long and I don't feel like brushing up on my HTML right know. Just log into UPSers, and go to My Workplace > Resources > Style Guidelines > UPS Acronyms and Abbreviations. Now you can acronym your PT supervisors to death!

Edit: Also, there is a DIAV IV manual under the Resources page as well, in .pdf format. This could be useful for potential driver's helpers. Apparently there's a couple classes you take where I'm sure they familiarize you with using the DIAD, but it can never hurt to have a study guide. Since that URL is much shorter: https://ep.ups.com/richmedia/pdf/DIADIVMadeSimple.pdf

Good luck.

Last edited:

Rover

Worked as a driver helper during christmas season 6 months ago. Finally got hired as a part time local sorter, today. What someone said earlier is definitely true, the only one who knows your name as a driver helper is your driver. He told me he put in a good word for me after christmas, but the HR person that I interviewed with didn't even remember me.

I'm in the south, it's going to be a hot, humid, sweaty job. But I'm going into this like I'm getting paid to work out for a few hours a day. It's not going to be easy for me, I know.

I guess I'm looking for advice on my outlook toward the job, as well as how sore, dehydrated, and burnt-out I will be after a week, a month, a few months, etc. Any advice appreciated.

Zap!

Well, after much shame of failing the oral test (in class on day 6, test day) in November, I decided to look online to see if there were any openings. There was, and I filled it out and went to my interview. I was a bit concerned that my test failure would make HR frown on me, but she said "that guy failed lots of potential drivers" and not to worry. I will be sent where he's not working.

So, I went for the driver's test and once again passed easily. They ordered my uniform and I start that same training class on Tuesday (not sure why it's not on a Monday, but oh well).

Anyway, while this is seasonal, she told me it will be until December 31st. Do seasonal drivers who are hired in June last a full 7 months or so, or do they usually last a couple, get laid off, and then get rehired in November again? Also, if you are there 7 months, wouldn't that be long enough for going in the union?

Also, how does benefits work out? Do seasonals get any days off? I never call out, but I have one wedding to attend on a Friday in October. Should I be prepared to not go? I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm already preparing for this test.

No1Special

First of all, thanks for this forum. Lots of useful info for newbies like me :) Starting as a permanent part-time package handler, so....

Secondly, what do people do with their personal belongings (i.e. wallet, keys, etc) while at work? I've heard there is a chance of break-ins at the parking lot, so I'm leery to to leave my wallet in my car. Should I buy a man's wallet-type thing (I have the usual womanly huge wallet), just to carry my license in? There are some lockers by the guard shack I saw on the tour, but they didn't look particularly secure.

Thanks in advance for any "tricks of the trade".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, thanks for this forum. Lots of useful info for newbies like me :) Starting as a permanent part-time package handler, so....

Secondly, what do people do with their personal belongings (i.e. wallet, keys, etc) while at work? I've heard there is a chance of break-ins at the parking lot, so I'm leery to to leave my wallet in my car. Should I buy a man's wallet-type thing (I have the usual womanly huge wallet), just to carry my license in? There are some lockers by the guard shack I saw on the tour, but they didn't look particularly secure.

Do the lockers allow you to put your own lock on while you are working?

Zap!

Just keep your wallet and keys in your pants, that's what I do, and my wallet is huge too. Other than that, all you need to bring with you is chapstick and gum/mints. All fits perfectly inside your pockets.

No1Special

Do the lockers allow you to put your own lock on while you are working?

Yes, they do. I'll most likely do that.

Just keep your wallet and keys in your pants, that's what I do, and my wallet is huge too. Other than that, all you need to bring with you is chapstick and gum/mints. All fits perfectly inside your pockets.

My only concern is that I was planning on wear light sweatpants/yoga pants and don't want to put too much weight in the pockets and have them falling off :blushing:

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated :)

The sorting test was pretty easy. Just memorize the zips and their belt color. After test, I was trained an hour for a few days. The next week I was assigned with the buck increase.

Zap!

Got my uniform. HR is gone until Monday, so I'll ask here: Why three pairs of shorts but no pants? Can I trade one in?

1). If you have respiratory problems of any kind, loading/unloading will almost certainly make them worse because "clean trailer" isn't a real thing.
2) Just because you go to the gym regularly doesn't mean you're well suited for this job...unless your gym sessions last 4-5 hours a day, every day and are conducted in large, unventilated ovens.
3) If the equipment looks broken or damaged well, yeah it probably is.
4) Know your limitations, especially in the summer. The guy you are working with might have been doing this for 10 years and be accustomed to the heat. Trying to keep up even if your body is sending you warning messages is a good way to end up sprawled out on the floor of a feeder or in the back of an ambulance.

Johnnywhat

Question. I have now been with UPS for 10 months loading brown trucks. Will UPS send me to any type of schooling if I am interested in OTR semi truck driving? Will they pay for me to get my CDL ? Thanks for any help :)