Fred cuts marketing by 25%

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I admit it, I like the White Board commercials. And I am tired of hearing, "What can Brown do for you?", from customers.

kingOFchester

Well, it looks like I am the lone soldier. I do not think UPS should cut back. Perhaps change the "campaign", but not cut back. Advertising works. But hey, we can agree to disagree!

Re-Raise

I think most people who have a choice in their shipping options base their decisions on the experience they have had with the providers.

If you have had good luck with UPS and the driver provides quality service , who cares what some guy in a TV add draws on a blackboard?

Look how far DHL's advertising got them.

kingOFchester

I think most people who have a choice in their shipping options base their decisions on the experience they have had with the providers.

This argument doesn't really hold water in my book. If this was entirely true, then the same could be said about most advertising.

I think most people who have a choice in their fast food provider base their decisions on the experience they have had with the providers.

I think most people who have a choice in their automobile options base their decisions on the experience they have had with the providers.

I think most people who have a choice in their supermarket options base their decisions on the experience they have had with the providers.

I think most people who have a choice in their banking options base their decisions on the experience they have had with the providers.

I think most people who have a choice in their airline options base their decisions on the experience they have had with the providers.

I could go on.

kingOFchester

A man wakes up by an advertised alarm clock on an advertised bed. Brushes his teeth with an advertised toothbrush and advertised tooth paste. Puts on his advertised clothes. Eats an advertised break fast. Drives to his business in an advertised car. But yet he doesn’t believe in advertising. When his business is going belly up, he advertises it for sale.

A man wakes up by an advertised alarm clock on an advertised bed. Brushes his teeth with an advertised toothbrush and advertised tooth paste. Puts on his advertised clothes. Eats an advertised break fast. Drives to his business in an advertised car. But yet he doesn’t believe in advertising. When his business is going belly up, he advertises it for sale.

I've missed all those alarm clock advertisements. My tooth brush comes from the dentist (free). My clothes are brown (free). My cars are 11 and 14 years old. Probably advertised when they were new. But advertising didn't get me in the door. When a business is going belly up there usually isn't anything to sell.

kingOFchester

I've missed all those alarm clock advertisements. My tooth brush comes from the dentist (free). My clothes are brown (free). My cars are 11 and 14 years old. Probably advertised when they were new. But advertising didn't get me in the door. .

wow, I guess I was wrong. To think of all the money companies spend on advertising has just been flushed down the toilet.
That tooth brush you got from your dentist, came from a manufacturer's marketing budget.
I hope you don't ware you browns 24/7. But even so, Cintas.....they advertise!

Oh, typed in "alarm clock" in google,

More wasted money i suppose.

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Chester

I agree. I think they could do more with less though.

There is a resurgence of yesterdays ideas with todays spin.

Run the tightest ship type adds, it plays well with the economy we are in.

And in doing so, downsize the whiteboard guy. Everybody loves misery.

The one thing I think they need to quit doing is to pay someone big bucks for doing not that much.

d

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOFchester
I think most people who have a choice in their ignore function options base their decisions on the experience they have had with kingOFchester.

That was good Dave!

wow, I guess I was wrong. To think of all the money companies spend on advertising has just been flushed down the toilet.
That tooth brush you got from your dentist, came from a manufacturer's marketing budget.

Oh, typed in "alarm clock" in google,
<snip>
More wasted money i suppose.

The tooth brushes you get free from your dentist was sent to them free from the tooth paste company, if you deliver to a dentist you have delivered them yourself. The dentist doesn't buy them they are to given to them to hand out to patients so they cane decide if they like crest better than brandX...from experience. Of all the things you listed in your post, all have tremendous competition, UPS has basically two.
Look, it is impossible to totally escape advertising, but seriously....do you choose everything you use by the advertising? If you do, the providers have spent their money wisely, but you have not. Ads tell us what THEY want us to hear, not always the truth. It is experience that produces return customers. With out the mass media advertising UPS withstood 80+ years of steady growth in the shipping industry to become the winner over all. Since UPS has started focusing on advertising instead of on providing the constant good reliable service we WERE known fo,r is when our value as a company started to decline.
Tell me one product you buy because of a company's sponsorship of any event, sporting activity or their commercials. I don't mean a one time purchase to try out a product, but a change in your choice. Was that change because of the ads or because the product was superior to the previous one?

Your point of cintas advertising doesn't hold water, our browns are purchased through bids, probably from all major clothing mfg. The cintas ads have nothing to do with our browns. Besides that, most of UPS uses Twin Hills, ever see a commercial of their's? Not me.

Please tell me one company in the US that ships parcels that has never heard of UPS.

jnuts

Obviously none of you are marketing majors. Did you know that there is still a portion of the market that does not know that we ship next day air? Some think that all we do is ground. Do you also know that we are currently the most expensive shipper? Why Whiteboard Guy? Because he explains to our customers our capabilities and what sets us apart from the rest.

A good marketing campaign is just as important as the service. Without Marketing, there is no business, but without good service, the marketing does not matter.

There are few business that have succeeded without any marketing. One of which is Starbucks. Sure it worked for a while, but now that McDonald's have introduced the McCafe and advertises for it, Starbucks as a business has suffered greatly. Trust me I know as I am a stockholder.

Marketing Matters Period!

kingOFchester

The tooth brushes you get free from your dentist was sent to them free from the tooth paste company, if you deliver to a dentist you have delivered them yourself. The dentist doesn't buy them they are to given to them to hand out to patients so they cane decide if they like crest better than brandX...from experience. Of all the things you listed in your post, all have tremendous competition, UPS has basically two.
Look, it is impossible to totally escape advertising, but seriously....do you choose everything you use by the advertising? If you do, the providers have spent their money wisely, but you have not. Ads tell us what THEY want us to hear, not always the truth. It is experience that produces return customers. With out the mass media advertising UPS withstood 80+ years of steady growth in the shipping industry to become the winner over all. Since UPS has started focusing on advertising instead of on providing the constant good reliable service we WERE known fo,r is when our value as a company started to decline.
Tell me one product you buy because of a company's sponsorship of any event, sporting activity or their commercials. I don't mean a one time purchase to try out a product, but a change in your choice. Was that change because of the ads or because the product was superior to the previous one?
Your point of cintas advertising doesn't hold water, our browns are purchased through bids, probably from all major clothing mfg. The cintas ads have nothing to do with our browns. Besides that, most of UPS uses Twin Hills, ever see a commercial of their's? Not me.
Please tell me one company in the US that ships parcels that has never heard of UPS.
Good post. Unfortunately, most people are not like you or me who base their purchases based on a well thought out process. The past Presidential election is proof in it self. A lot of people, not all, are strongly influenced by what they see and are told to see. My major in college was communication, yea a waste of 100g's, but I spent a good amount of time studying advertising and marketing. To argue the point that advertising doesn’t work because people are smart enough to make and educated decision, is just ridiculous. To answer your last question....zero. However, for Joe 6 pack who wants to send aunt fanny a box of what have your’s, his decision will most likely be decided by what he has seen the most of… either on TV or the side of a race car…the company has burned their image/logo into his brain. As far as the tooth brush, you have clearly proved my point. The tooth brush is sent to dentist Hurt My Tooth to get him/her to pass out to their clients. Thus a way of "marketing". I find it out right humorous for those of you who do not think that advertising pays. Most certainly there is a ton of advertising dollars that would be better spent making paper airplanes out of, but it does not mean that advertising does not pay. Do you not realize there are many studies that have been done on how advertising does pay? Do you honestly believe that all the companies are just burning money when they advertise? If so, I guess I gave you more credit then you deserve. Again, the average Joe is more influenced by what they see and are told then you obviously think.
As far as UPS advertising, I say loose the white board goof ball. Focus in on the customer. Start a campaign on how UPS is focusing on Joe 6 packs shipment. Personalize it.

kingOFchester

Obviously none of you are marketing majors. Did you know that there is still a portion of the market that does not know that we ship next day air? Some think that all we do is ground. Do you also know that we are currently the most expensive shipper? Why Whiteboard Guy? Because he explains to our customers our capabilities and what sets us apart from the rest.

A good marketing campaign is just as important as the service. Without Marketing, there is no business, but without good service, the marketing does not matter.

There are few business that have succeeded without any marketing. One of which is Starbucks. Sure it worked for a while, but now that McDonald's have introduced the McCafe and advertises for it, Starbucks as a business has suffered greatly. Trust me I know as I am a stockholder.

Marketing Matters Period!

Well put!!