Full time hub employee considering going driving

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Sadly they currently don’t offer a day sort. A Preload/Daysort would be perfect but it’s not an option. Also, I’m thinking if I start driving now, with my already 7 years seniority as a full timer, and my understanding that it would follow me into package I could potentially get my own route sooner rather than later. Plus Im wondering how the new 22.4’s might potentially shorten FT shifts
22.4 shortening your day is a pipe dream. Package is pure hell and you will hate the rest of your life

542thruNthru

. Also, since I already have 7 years as a full time hub employee I have been told that once I pass my probationary period and specific routes become available I can bid with my FT seniority date and not as a new driver. Thank you for any help/recommendations

Are you sure about this? I would make sure to talk with a BA about that.

@S.friend. Rush

Is this something you've seen or heard of?

oldngray

nowhere special

@S.friend. Rush

It worked that way in my local too. Full time inside seniority carries over for bidding in package cars. I don't think it also does for feeders though. Kind of a rare situation since there are few inside full time jobs left and hardly any of those people want to go driving. I only knew of it happening a couple of times.

542thruNthru

It worked that way in my local too. Full time inside seniority carries over for bidding in package cars. I don't think it also does for feeders though. Kind of a rare situation since there are few inside full time jobs left and few of those people want to go driving. I only knew of it happening a couple of times.

I know it happens in some areas. I'm sure what he was told was correct but it's some thing I would definitely make sure of before making a decision.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Sadly they currently don’t offer a day sort. A Preload/Daysort would be perfect but it’s not an option. Also, I’m thinking if I start driving now, with my already 7 years seniority as a full timer, and my understanding that it would follow me into package I could potentially get my own route sooner rather than later. Plus Im wondering how the new 22.4’s might potentially shorten FT shifts

Do it you won’t regret it

It’s the best job ever

You’ll be rich

How’s that do ya feel better now

@S.friend. Rush

I have a friend in the hub who was one of the original inside hub full timers from ‘98 and went feeder actually and told me his seniority followed him. Could be our region, SF Bay Area, allows it but I do need to clarify with my local

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I was just having this discussion; I went driver after only 6 months of preload because I was 28 and anxious to start a career and a pension, and the starting pay for driving is on par with any job out there that doesn't require a college education.
I didn't love the preload, especially since I had to work a 2nd job, but I've done a ton of really hard, crappy jobs. Inside jobs may suck for the hours and labor, but compared to roofing, carpentry, granite countertops, cruise ship tours, shuffling some boxes around is pretty darn gravy.
If I had the opportunity to go full time inside, I'd be all over it. Safer, easier work for what, 6 bucks less an hour at top rate?
If you're cool with living reasonably, making 45-55k a year then stay inside. Safer, less stressful, regular schedule so you can actually have a life Mon-Fri, easy work.
If you want all the finer things in life, like you REALLY wanna become a debt slave and want that 500k house with a brand new pickup 4 dogs and 3 quads, driving is for you.

PT Car Washer

I was just having this discussion; I went driver after only 6 months of preload because I was 28 and anxious to start a career and a pension, and the starting pay for driving is on par with any job out there that doesn't require a college education.
I didn't love the preload, especially since I had to work a 2nd job, but I've done a ton of really hard, crappy jobs. Inside jobs may suck for the hours and labor, but compared to roofing, carpentry, granite countertops, cruise ship tours, shuffling some boxes around is pretty darn gravy.
If I had the opportunity to go full time inside, I'd be all over it. Safer, easier work for what, 6 bucks less an hour at top rate?
If you're cool with living reasonably, making 45-50k a year then stay inside. Safer, less stressful, regular schedule so you can actually have a life Mon-Fri, easy work.
If you want all the finer things in life, like you REALLY wanna become a debt slave and want that 500k house with a brand new pickup 4 dogs and 3 quads, driving is for you.
Not sure how many FT drivers can afford a 500k house unless their wife has a really high paying job. Everything else you say is true and the main reason I have stayed PT all these years.