Future of UPS

bbsam

Staff member
Ford did it first because they were in financial difficulty first. And had the federal government not stepped in to save GM and Chrysler, Ford's parts suppliers would have gone under as well effectively killing the entire industry.

Foamer Pyle

And UPS management is thinking only one thing: "Where else will people turn to?" There's no way they weren't going to go to full dimensional weight pricing.
All of the smaller packages are going U.S. Mail. I pick up from two UPS stored, and since the switch, people are not willing to pay the dimensional rates, so they ship postal. Federal express isn't the only other option.

Overpaid Union Thug

And they're kicking our butt on Wall Street.
Why not? The better service that we provide to keep customers is slowly but surely being traded off for saving one gallon of fuel for exery $50/hr of overtime. The Fed Ex HD driver on my route doesn't look like a methhead, nor does he have to hold his pants/shorts up while he runs, but he drives like a maniac, parks on the wrong side of the road against the flow of traffic, pulls out in front of school buses, leaves his truck running with his bulkhead door open while delivering, and leaves people's packages in the rain with no DR bag. They can get away with it as long as UPS continues to care less about service. FedEx can undercut us even more that way.

Z

ZQXC

And their "thanks" to the American public? Charging $70 GRAND for a 2015 Chevy Suburban, and JUST UNDER $100 THOUSAND dollars for an Escalade. You're welcome for the free money, GM

I'm so old, anything over 4K for a new car seems like a lot.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
They can charge whatever the heck they want-----no one is forcing you to buy one.

Agreed. It'd be nice for people to tell them to piss off, then let them go out of business. You were on the verge of bankruptcy, and we, the taxpayers bailed you out. So next time, let them run it into the ground. No help required

bbsam

Staff member
Why not? The better service that we provide to keep customers is slowly but surely being traded off for saving one gallon of fuel for exery $50/hr of overtime. The Fed Ex HD driver on my route doesn't look like a methhead, nor does he have to hold his pants/shorts up while he runs, but he drives like a maniac, parks on the wrong side of the road against the flow of traffic, pulls out in front of school buses, leaves his truck running with his bulkhead door open while delivering, and leaves people's packages in the rain with no DR bag. They can get away with it as long as UPS continues to care less about service. FedEx can undercut us even more that way.
Have you noticed that the general public doesn't care if the truck is running, the bulkhead door is open, he parks on the wrong side of the street for 30 seconds while DR'ING a package, etc, etc, etc. All of what you describe does make for a more professional driver but most people simply don't give a crap. All they want is get it there in a timely fashion and don't break it. I don't really expect either company to change how they do things any time soon.

Overpaid Union Thug

Have you noticed that the general public doesn't care if the truck is running, the bulkhead door is open, he parks on the wrong side of the street for 30 seconds while DR'ING a package, etc, etc, etc. All of what you describe does make for a more professional driver but most people simply don't give a crap. All they want is get it there in a timely fashion and don't break it. I don't really expect either company to change how they do things any time soon.

Those seemingly endless list of infractions committed by FedEx (RPS) drivers as they pertain to the subject of whether or not the general public cares makes me think of the old saying..... "A clean shop is a safe shop." I've also heard other sayings similar to that about being organized and efficient. I also like "Smooth Is Fast." UPS NOT allowing their drivers to behave like FedEx Ground drivers and instilling an environment of professionalism and efficiency (not a FedEx driving turning taking a corner on two wheels while a school's is unloading) has always helped UPS be the preferred shipper (which we amazing still are). But with UPS's current obsession with ORION having us show up to commercial stops around the same time (or later) than our methhead counterparts, and having us make pickups on trace instead of during contractual times, that preference is slowly but surely swinging in Ground's favor.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I'm so old, anything over 4K for a new car seems like a lot.
Ha..
Those seemingly endless list of infractions committed by FedEx (RPS) drivers as they pertain to the subject of whether or not the general public cares makes me think of the old saying..... "A clean shop is a safe shop." I've also heard other sayings similar to that about being organized and efficient. I also like "Smooth Is Fast." UPS NOT allowing their drivers to behave like FedEx Ground drivers and instilling an environment of professionalism and efficiency (not a FedEx driving turning taking a corner on two wheels while a school's is unloading) has always helped UPS be the preferred shipper (which we amazing still are). But with UPS's current obsession with ORION having us show up to commercial stops around the same time (or later) than our methhead counterparts, and having us make pickups on trace instead of during contractual times, that preference is slowly but surely swinging in Ground's favor.
I think orion is one of many sad factors. Blame it on the ipo