Future of UPS

UPS Preloader

I disagree a lot of part timers work for ups in hopes to be a driver one day. What's the point in waiting 10 years to make 18$ an hour?

UPS would then eliminate overtime and put more $18.75 per hour drivers on the road. The 10 year wait would be a thing of the past for a little while anyways.

bbsam

Staff member
They ain't doing it for $15 an hour.

If ups wants to drop their standards across the board sure maybe but what they will likely end up with is a bunch of people quitting a month or two in.
Or they hire a bunch of Fedex Ground drivers and send them to a serious boot camp and at the end of it the driver is making $8/hr more plus benefits. Maybe they stay 5 years. Maybe 10. Either way, UPS transitions away from a career and away from a pension heavy future. I mean really, $36/hr is great. I know a lot of people in the industry who would bleed brown for $23/hr.

Browndriver5

Or they hire a bunch of Fedex Ground drivers and send them to a serious boot camp and at the end of it the driver is making $8/hr more plus benefits. Maybe they stay 5 years. Maybe 10. Either way, UPS transitions away from a career and away from a pension heavy future. I mean really, $36/hr is great. I know a lot of people in the industry who would bleed brown for $23/hr.

I need 36$ to bleed brown lol

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Meh, I think a lot of you worry about nothing. I would be worried about middle management. Once Orion and self dispatching and all that are all sorted out and they have slowly eliminated most middle management positions, and ups is not turning a profit. That's when I would worry. Until then my truck goes out full comes in full, my checks cash, ups makes billions a year in profit and I see the union guys there every other day. It's all good. You also have to think about a contractor at fdx typically gets paid 120-140k a year per route. The only ones getting screwed are the drivers they hire.

Boulevard859710

It's volume we wouldn't otherwise have.

Not to mention I'm sure the company profits more off those packages having the post office deliver than if you or I were to del them.
Ok. It's the other way around. I had this crazy conspiracy theory brewing that the Post Office as bankrupt as they are was telling UPS "throw us a bone or we will shut you down." I believe a private company would be shut down before the government.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok. It's the other way around. I had this crazy conspiracy theory brewing that the Post Office as bankrupt as they are was telling UPS "throw us a bone or we will shut you down." I believe a private company would be shut down before the government.
We only send stuff to the post office because fedex did it first.

We pay the post office like a dollar a package for them to deliver it. I'm pretty sure ups gets the better end of the deal.

box_beeyotch

We only send stuff to the post office because fedex did it first.

We pay the post office like a dollar a package for them to deliver it. I'm pretty sure ups gets the better end of the deal.

Its a good deal as in the cost effectiveness. Its a bad deal in the sense were fueling a competitor with our work, while low seniority guys get sent home everyday. If we retained all that volume we would have more routes in. I just firmly believe we as a company should do our own work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Its a good deal as in the cost effectiveness. Its a bad deal in the sense were fueling a competitor with our work, while low seniority guys get sent home everyday. If we retained all that volume we would have more routes in. I just firmly believe we as a company should do our own work.

The point that you and many others on this forum are missing is that this is not our work and if we didn't offer Sure Post they would choose Smart Post. Online shoppers like the "free shipping" option and are willing to wait an extra day or two for their product.

Does it suck to watch all of those Sure Post bags come down the belt at the end of the sort?Absolutely but in order to remain competitive we have to provide the same service offerings as our competitors.

box_beeyotch

The point that you and many others on this forum are missing is that this is not our work and if we didn't offer Sure Post they would choose Smart Post. Online shoppers like the "free shipping" option and are willing to wait an extra day or two for their product.

Does it suck to watch all of those Sure Post bags come down the belt at the end of the sort?Absolutely but in order to remain competitive we have to provide the same service offerings as our competitors.

I get that. How do they determine what gets dropped off at the post office? Not all sureposts get dropped off.

Brownslave688

I get that. How do they determine what gets dropped off at the post office? Not all sureposts get dropped off.
If we have a package going to that address already.

Supposed to be close proximity work we keep also but I have seen very little of that.

Get a contract and read it. It's all in there.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
He means if they made $18 top pay.
Their going to keep trying to push a contract out a cap in pay, you know how these asczzholes roll lol. Every new contract they make a push to totally asczz rape us, we know that. They got the union to okay a 4 year rogression, wouldnt surprise me to see that go to 5 or 6 years next contract negotiations. And for some reason idiots keep voting yes on these loser contracts lol.

Brownslave688

Their going to keep trying to push a contract out a cap in pay, you know how these asczzholes roll lol. Every new contract they make a push to totally asczz rape us, we know that. They got the union to okay a 4 year rogression, wouldnt surprise me to see that go to 5 or 6 years next contract negotiations. And for some reason idiots keep voting yes on these loser contracts lol.
I could do 5 year progression but it needs to be reasonable. Like $20,$25,$30,$35, top

box_beeyotch

If we have a package going to that address already.

Supposed to be close proximity work we keep also but I have seen very little of that.

Get a contract and read it. It's all in there.

I have one. Sometimes it's hard to make sense of just what the hell it says though. Cant they just spell "hey you're fcuked" in plain English.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

To the idea that there are a lot of people out there willing to work a UPS workload at, say $23/hr:

I don't buy it. Yes, someone may be willing to deliver packages for that much, even deliver air and ground together as we do. However, to jump through all the hoops we do, with telematics, ORION, the production push....

People like to point to FDXG drivers as an example of people doing what we do at far less the wage. Truth is, they aren't even close. I mean, Ground drivers don't even have to focus on the two classes of GROUND packages like we do, with FedEx having split them into two subsidiaries: Ground and Home!

In order to really pay workers far less, I believe UPS would have to specialize the workforce, as FedEx has done. Otherwise, it would be a case of drivers lasting a few months, maybe a year.

Last edited: