Future of UPS

I have seen some fdx ground guys looking downright seedy.

In the future, the diad will be in Spanish.
Not sure about how seedy the fdx guy was today that left my delivery on the front porch because I never saw him/her. One thing for sure is that it was fdx that delivered the package and NOT UPS.

ManInBrown

Anyone that thinks UPS could get people to do this job for 15 Bucks an hour is living in La La Land. It's ridiculous. You want Gustov parking facing the wrong way leaving the truck running driving the brown truck? Or Boris driving nose first into the 20ft driveway?

bbsam

Staff member
Anyone that thinks UPS could get people to do this job for 15 Bucks an hour is living in La La Land. It's ridiculous. You want Gustov parking facing the wrong way leaving the truck running driving the brown truck? Or Boris driving nose first into the 20ft driveway?
$15? No. $23.50? Absolutely. That's assuming that UPS doesn't have in mind keeping people for 35 years. But get 22 year old runner/gunners and get 10 to 15 years out of them and move them on out before the body starts breaking down.

Bankrupt

Or they hire a bunch of Fedex Ground drivers and send them to a serious boot camp and at the end of it the driver is making $8/hr more plus benefits. Maybe they stay 5 years. Maybe 10. Either way, UPS transitions away from a career and away from a pension heavy future. I mean really, $36/hr is great. I know a lot of people in the industry who would bleed brown for $23/hr.
If ups could recruit fedex drivers to jump over and get on the road I leave in a heartbeat. 16 yrs at express making less than. 23/hr

Sent using BrownCafe App

The Driver

I drive.

There are many times I see a FedEx Express or Ground truck nosed into a driveway or parked the wrong way, facing the dock. It still surprises me every time.

bbsam

Staff member
There are many times I see a FedEx Express or Ground truck nosed into a driveway or parked the wrong way, facing the dock. It still surprises me every time.
And if UPS went to one of those Fedex drivers who is familiar with the area and offered them $23.50/hr plus your benefit package to drive and hammered them with telematics and Orion I bet they'd happily take it.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm not so sure about that. Nowadays most high school grads, and probably more college grads than you think, would jump at $15/hr for a STARTING wage. I have friends that have been working in factories for 15, 20 years and doing much harder work than us drivers do and the most any of them make is about $17.50/hr. I worked in more than a few factories before going full-time at UPS. So, driving for UPS is one of the easiest labor jobs I've ever had. I never made half of what we make per hour as full-time drivers while I was in those factories and they were either harder work or tedious repetitive work. Or worse.....BOTH. I would have bolted at a chance to make $15/hr delivering packages.

ManInBrown

Anyone willing to do what we do for 15 or even 20 an hour is either not going to be capable of doing the job once they get out there, or not willing to do it for that pay once they see what it entails day after day. There's just no way. The FedEx ground workers can come in here all they want saying they would be willing to do it. What happens when they see me making 35 an hour grandfathered in and they are doing the same job for 15 or 20 an hour less? That will cause major problems.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anyone willing to do what we do for 15 or even 20 an hour is either not going to be capable of doing the job once they get out there, or not willing to do it for that pay once they see what it entails day after day. There's just no way. The FedEx ground workers can come in here all they want saying they would be willing to do it. What happens when they see me making 35 an hour grandfathered in and they are doing the same job for 15 or 20 an hour less? That will cause major problems.

Somehow GM and the UAW have made it work.

Bottom rung

And if UPS went to one of those Fedex drivers who is familiar with the area and offered them $23.50/hr plus your benefit package to drive and hammered them with telematics and Orion I bet they'd happily take it.
For about two months. They'd leave after being harassed about trace % and mileage overage. Lose .3 stops/hr....management team rides with and gives dirty looks to you and your customers all day. Ups wouldn't stand a chance paying so little to deal with the :censored2: they force upon us. And besides if our pay went down....so would managements. And we thought they were angry and spiteful now....