General President's health failing?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Seriously Bug, do really believe that an elected union official, asking to be reelected, "doesn't have to justify anything"?

Help me out, I'm trying to understand.

Maybe that's not the best way to put it.

If
you have done you job.... experience will win, most of the time.

There's no need to pad your campaign material with BS.

Challengers (on the other hand) have that obstacle to over-come.

The rookie mistake.... is negative campaigning.

I'll pay ya later.

Tell ya what....

The first $400.00 is on me.

That might help offset your upcoming medical deductible. :biggrin:

-Bug-

Irishman Collins

They end up quitting.... because the majority just don't want to work, period.

10 years ago the company had a "clean in, clean out" policy for cell phones. (for part-timers)

They used to discharge them for texting or using their phone while on the clock.

Now it's pretty much a free-for-all. Including supervisors.

The problem is the generation.

Next thing ya know, they will be protesting for "safe areas" in the building....

free from the oppression of management. :biggrin:

Should they be paid more ? Sure.

But, until they start voting and not quitting.... nothing is going to change for them.

That's just a fact of life. The priority will be for the full-timers.

It always leaves me scratching my head, when people complain about the company making money.

Don't we want them to ? And, because they do, they should have to give it all to the employees ?

I laugh when people say "well, we do all the work".

And.... you are compensated for it. No more, no less. I just don't get the mentality.

-Bug-
The problem is, that they could go to Wendy's, make the same money out of the gate and have flexible hours. Typical Jimmy follower, blame it on everyone else, not our current incompetent, out matched negotiating team. Honestly, you are clueless. If I had to guess, you aren't even from UPS. You must be from freight or some other miscellaneous company?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I know people who have quit to be roofers.

You saying roofers don't work?

It's funny you say that.

When I was a part-timer, I was a licensed Roofing Contractor.

Worked from 7:00am-3:30pm. Went home.... slept for a hour.... then loaded trucks at UPS.

We almost prayed for rain everyday. I never want to lay another shingle again.

The only people that can afford to work at UPS part time are living with mommy and daddy, because the job doesn't pay enough to live any where else.

It's not UPS.

For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangements for 18- to 34-Year-Olds

There was another article about this trend, and the effect on the housing market.

-Bug-

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I know people who have quit to be roofers.

You saying roofers don't work?

It's crap pay and you know it.

The only people that can afford to work at UPS part time are living with mommy and daddy, because the job doesn't pay enough to live any where else.
When were pt jobs meant to support families.......pt jobs were something to put some money in your pocket till you figure out your next move or to add some money and benefits to another job you had

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
It's funny you say that.

When I was a part-timer, I was a licensed Roofing Contractor.

Worked from 7:00am-3:30pm. Went home.... slept for a hour.... then loaded trucks at UPS.

We almost prayed for rain everyday. I never want to lay another shingle again.

It's not UPS.

For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangements for 18- to 34-Year-Olds

There was another article about this trend, and the effect on the housing market.

-Bug-
Miss the point much?

Tell me why H and H only think PT employees deserve to little?

It's pathetic and embarrassing.

And we are Teamsters.

No teamster job should pay that little with work that hard.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
When were pt jobs meant to support families.......pt jobs were something to put some money in your pocket till you figure out your next move or to add some money and benefits to another job you had
I lived in an apartment working at UPS part time and going to school under the GI Bill in the 80's.

It was possible back then, but EVERYTHING has gone up in price since then.

With the exception of UPS PT wages that is.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I was and agree 100% with what he said.

Most hubs haven't hired off the street for drivers in a decade or more; the waiting list in my building is 14-15+ years. How else is someone supposed to become a driver other than working part-time?

This "PT jobs aren't meant to support families" argument always seems to come from people who didn't have to sweat it out in the hub.

At the end of the day, UPS and the union are both complicit in the starting pay issue for part-timers. The union at least proposed $15/hour as a starting wage and it got whittled down to $10 in negotiations. $10/hr starting and no benefits for a year at a union job is atrocious but "we don't negotiate for the unborn." UPS clearly wasn't receptive to $15/hour and now gets to watch the revolving door of people unwilling to get screamed at and sweat bullets for $200/week.

The "current generation" of employees at UPS play on their phones and goof off instead of working because UPS can't afford to be a little more stringent than "has a pulse" and "can spell their name."

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
No.....why

How long did you have to wait to go FT? Perspective is everything here.

If you got hired PT in your late teens/early 20's and went FT in your mid-20's/early 30's, then you have a different perspective than someone having to wait 10-15+ years to go FT and put off starting a family/buying a home/having some financial security until they can do so.

The whole time I was part time I worked other full time jobs trying to figure me a career. Ups came through in the end.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Most hubs haven't hired off the street for drivers in a decade or more; the waiting list in my building is 14-15+ years. How else is someone supposed to become a driver other than working part-time?

It definitely varies. One of our buildings, has a 6 month wait.

Sometimes.... they are waiting for the person to turn 21.

I agree with the premise of your post.

But, there are part-timers who work for the benefits to supplement the family situation.

The "current generation" of employees at UPS play on their phones and goof off instead of working because UPS can't afford to be a little more stringent than "has a pulse" and "can spell their name."

What's even worse.... trying to recruit part-time management people, in the parking lot. :biggrin:

-Bug-

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

This "PT jobs aren't meant to support families" argument always seems to come from people who didn't have to sweat it out in the hub.

At the end of the day, UPS and the union are both complicit in the starting pay issue for part-timers. The union at least proposed $15/hour as a starting wage and it got whittled down to $10 in negotiations. $10/hr starting and no benefits for a year at a union job is atrocious but "we don't negotiate for the unborn." UPS clearly wasn't receptive to $15/hour and now gets to watch the revolving door of people unwilling to get screamed at and sweat bullets for $200/week.

Sorry didn't see this post till after I replied

In my local they can't find people that want to drive. Guys with six months get the gig. Then another bid later you get some 14 year guys who all disqualify themselves because the works to hard or its to many hours. Vicious cycle.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
It definitely varies. One of our buildings, has a 6 month wait.

Sometimes.... there are waiting for the person to turn 21.

I work in a massive hub located in a (relatively) small metropolitan area. Definitely varies.

What's even worse.... trying to recruit part-time management people, in the parking lot. :biggrin:

-Bug-

We had a "new hire" orientation class full of management people 6-9 months ago. They were told they were being hired directly into management.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

How long did you have to wait to go FT? Perspective is everything here.

If you got hired PT in your late teens/early 20's and went FT in your mid-20's/early 30's, then you have a different perspective than someone having to wait 10-15+ years to go FT and put off starting a family/buying a home/having some financial security until they can do so.
Agreed the wait where I am isn't that bad