Getting Sent home but still getting paid?

705red

Browncafe Steward
why does nov and dec not count? i was never called back, i was just kept on. i was told they would have to rehire me but that there wouldnt be a break in me working. I have also told them that id like to keep working, but they say they have to go by seniority and i have to go home.... how do i handle this?
If you were not laid off in January you would have a beef and your original seniority date should count. Get with a steward asap, you have a time frame to file a grievance.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you started working in October, those days count towards your seniority. November and December days don't count and then when you are called back in January you add on to those days in October. Talk to your steward and question this 'rehire'. Also if you report to work you are guaranteed 3½ hours pay - it has nothing to do with you being the lowest employee or not having made seniority yet.

Wrong in the northeast. Can't speak for other areas, but I'm pretty sure it works the same way. Unless the company fails to lay you off for one day in January, your hire date will be the first date you worked of the new year. They lay you off January 1st or 2nd, whatever the first work day is, and tell you to come back the next day. The oct 1st - Dec 31st is a "free period" of seasonal help.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you were not laid off in January you would have a beef and your original seniority date should count. Get with a steward asap, you have a time frame to file a grievance.

This is correct.

Plus, if you are working, and they try to send you home on the small sort after 2-3 hours, I'd tell them to shove it. They can move you around the building or they can pay you 3.5 hours. If they do not pay you 3.5 hours and they tell you to go home, after requesting 3.5, file a grievance for all missing minutes - hours.

Nikki

k, and to clarify anything, i was never laid off even for one day. I did miss a week in november because i had the flu but thats the only time i missed....