Ground Is Good!

vantexan

Disagree. As long as we have an underpaid, overworked opco in the FedEx "family" dragging the rest of us down, we need to call them out. It's like forcing your meth-head, alcoholic, crack-smoking brother into an intervention. These folks need to realize how badly they are getting screwed. By allowing themselves to work for nothing and zero benefits, they bring down the industry as a whole and devalue our type of work. This especially effects Express employees, since Fred now thinks we should be more like Ground, and accept less pay and benefits.

They're working harder for less money and no benefits? Does that mean they have more backbone, more gumption than Express employees? Let's focus on the ones responsible for this tragedy, and leave working class people who work hard for a living alone. They're trying to feed and house their families in a bad economy and deserve some respect. You must live in some post-apocalyptic hell hole MFE because most Ground drivers I've seen around the country look pretty normal.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
What era are you living in? This isn't the '70's. Businesses are getting OUT of the benefits game. If you want that to change, it's going to happen because Washington will steer it that way. You are casting stones at a corporation but it is the system you want to turn.

Oh yeah, go blame Washington for the lousy pay and no benefits your drivers get. Very convient. "Sorry Ralph about your scrawny paycheck, if have a problem with it then call The White House."

Fred's to blame for a lot of what's happened with labor but you worship him just the same but he's got you and all the other contractors in his pocket.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They're working harder for less money and no benefits? Does that mean they have more backbone, more gumption than Express employees? Let's focus on the ones responsible for this tragedy, and leave working class people who work hard for a living alone. They're trying to feed and house their families in a bad economy and deserve some respect. You must live in some post-apocalyptic hell hole MFE because most Ground drivers I've seen around the country look pretty normal.

Ground is enjoying a huge profit margin, yet their drivers work for crap wages. You, as a Republican, should abhor this, because you are directly subsidizing Fred S's Ground gold mine. They have a tough row to how because "the ones responsible for this tragedy" are laughing all the way to the bank...at your expense, my expense, and Ground drivers expense. Why do you think this is OK? It isn't.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Stand by, lay down, jump up and down, pull your hair out blow off steam on BC--do whatever you want. What difference do you really think it makes? It's 7:15 on April 22, 2013 and after all your posting and sabotage plans, there is still no union at Express. So what do you think you will accomplish with Ground?

Why are you getting so upset? I'm just pointing-out the truth, which is that Ground pays substandard wages and provides zero benefits. Are you disagreeing with that? You make a very handy profit, and Fred makes an incredible profit off their efforts, yet I and the other American taxpayers get to subsidize you and Fred because you don't give your employees medical or dental. Why should I pay for that? Why should I help create a niche' business for Mr. Smith so he can realize 17.5% profit instead of what the true number should be based on fair wages and a true benefit package?

bbsam

Staff member
Ground is enjoying a huge profit margin, yet their drivers work for crap wages. You, as a Republican, should abhor this, because you are directly subsidizing Fred S's Ground gold mine. They have a tough row to how because "the ones responsible for this tragedy" are laughing all the way to the bank...at your expense, my expense, and Ground drivers expense. Why do you think this is OK? It isn't.
Republicans have never been against subsidizing business. Never.

vantexan

I don't think it's ok. But I think characterizing the average Ground driver the way you do is wrong. When I was in South Texas I used to see illegals bent over all day in 98 degree heat with high humidity picking crops. Thank goodness they're willing because to get Americans to do that would put our food bills through the roof. Same goes for Walmart employees. Thank goodness they'll work for that because Walmart groceries cost considerably less than most supermarkets but wouldn't if they paid as much as other supermarkets. No matter where you turn the average citizen benefits from those willing to work for less. I'd like to see all of them get paid well with good benefits but that guarantees that we'll all pay more, and considerably more than the taxes we pay now that provides benefits to them. There are no easy answers. Besides, we talk about how most Express couriers are uninformed about organizing, so why attack uninformed Ground drivers?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh yeah, go blame Washington for the lousy pay and no benefits your drivers get. Very convient. "Sorry Ralph about your scrawny paycheck, if have a problem with it then call The White House."

Fred's to blame for a lot of what's happened with labor but you worship him just the same but he's got you and all the other contractors in his pocket.

You know why I'm pissed? Because I'm seeing the same passive behavior of acceptance continued over into the "new" FedEx. Well, guess what? That type of inaction is exactly what has gotten us where we are today...totally under Fred's thumb. Roll-over and play dead while Fred and Friends grind your nose into the pavement...again. And their campaign of "Ground is Good" is working extremely well on those folks who want to "accept the new reality", "embrace the Ground non-employees as compadres", and bend over and ask if you can have another beating. Screw that. Let your ball-sack drop down out of your panties and fight this crap. How? Stop being a victim of Stockholm Syndrome and stick that knife in your captor's rib cage. How do you do that? You sign a union card, you get your fellow employees to sign union cards, and eventually you stop being a victim and take control over your own destiny.

vantexan

You know why I'm pissed? Because I'm seeing the same passive behavior of acceptance continued over into the "new" FedEx. Well, guess what? That type of inaction is exactly what has gotten us where we are today...totally under Fred's thumb. Roll-over and play dead while Fred and Friends grind your nose into the pavement...again. And their campaign of "Ground is Good" is working extremely well on those folks who want to "accept the new reality", "embrace the Ground non-employees as compadres", and bend over and ask if you can have another beating. Screw that. Let your ball-sack drop down out of your panties and fight this crap. How? Stop being a victim of Stockholm Syndrome and stick that knife in your captor's rib cage. How do you do that? You sign a union card, you get your fellow employees to sign union cards, and eventually you stop being a victim and take control over your own destiny.

A bigger slice of a crap sandwich is still a crap sandwich. And characterizing anyone who doesn't tow the line 100% as having Stockholm Syndrome is just silly. My mgr was telling us this morning we are in 2nd place currently for district station of the month. Several people, mostly topped out, started ooooing like they were thrilled. Now that's Kool-ade drinking. What is so great about being close to first if they no longer give us a little bonus for the effort? Why are we competing with our fellow stations? Why does anyone get excited about working for FedEx anymore? I don't get it. But I do care about hard working people getting screwed from one side and getting sneered at from the other. Ground drivers don't deserve your contempt! It's not their fault the company is doing what they are but somehow you think they should refuse to work for Ground to show solidarity with Express employees. Their first duty is to take care of their families, not starve so that you can afford a nicer car. There's, for all the talk about record profits, not enough profit currently to top everyone out and pay them what you think they deserve. And if after 14.5 years I have to continue to wait my turn so that topped out employees can get their pay greatly increased then you are no better than those Stockholm Syndrome oppressors you rail against. Be damned if I'll stand by after all these years of watching topped out employees do much better and expect me to continue to sacrifice so that you can finally get your UPS pay.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A bigger slice of a crap sandwich is still a crap sandwich. And characterizing anyone who doesn't tow the line 100% as having Stockholm Syndrome is just silly. My mgr was telling us this morning we are in 2nd place currently for district station of the month. Several people, mostly topped out, started ooooing like they were thrilled. Now that's Kool-ade drinking. What is so great about being close to first if they no longer give us a little bonus for the effort? Why are we competing with our fellow stations? Why does anyone get excited about working for FedEx anymore? I don't get it. But I do care about hard working people getting screwed from one side and getting sneered at from the other. Ground drivers don't deserve your contempt! It's not their fault the company is doing what they are but somehow you think they should refuse to work for Ground to show solidarity with Express employees. Their first duty is to take care of their families, not starve so that you can afford a nicer car. There's, for all the talk about record profits, not enough profit currently to top everyone out and pay them what you think they deserve. And if after 14.5 years I have to continue to wait my turn so that topped out employees can get their pay greatly increased then you are no better than those Stockholm Syndrome oppressors you rail against. Be damned if I'll stand by after all these years of watching topped out employees do much better and expect me to continue to sacrifice so that you can finally get your UPS pay.

We have a common enemy. His name is Frederick W. Smith. Ground employees need to learn this too, and showing solidarity with Express is impossible since they are not even employees. Hard to believe, but they have even less power than we do. Sorry, van, but you're rolling on your back with your arms and legs in the air.

vantexan

We have a common enemy. His name is Frederick W. Smith. Ground employees need to learn this too, and showing solidarity with Express is impossible since they are not even employees. Hard to believe, but they have even less power than we do. Sorry, van, but you're rolling on your back with your arms and legs in the air.

I stand by what I said. When push comes to shove it'll be demonstrated to the newly minted union that the only thing the company can afford is to increase topped out pay by $4hr but everyone else will have to wait 20 years to top out(or something akin to that scenario). And the topped out employees who depended on all of us to unite and support our brothers and sisters will suddenly have very short memories. I've said it before, I'll say it again: if y'all want to fight over the crumbs in this asylum more power to you. I'm out of here just as soon as I can.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I met this Ground driver last week who works out of the Watsonville hub. He was an ex contractor who now drives one of the routes he use to own. Seemed like a great guy who seemed to sing a far different tune then some of the contractors on this forum. He said that unless you own a lot of routes, it is next to impossible to make money.
He spoke of the route restraints put on you by FedEx that forces you to run multiple routes in an area but are only recognized as supplemental routes. How only main routes are eligible for the $800 a month bonus regardless of the numbers that so called supplemental routes have.
He said the irony is he now drives a route he once owned for a contractor that apparently is now losing his shorts. FYI, he is currently looking for a new job.

overflowed

I met this Ground driver last week who works out of the Watsonville hub. He was an ex contractor who now drives one of the routes he use to own. Seemed like a great guy who seemed to sing a far different tune then some of the contractors on this forum. He said that unless you own a lot of routes, it is next to impossible to make money.
He spoke of the route restraints put on you by FedEx that forces you to run multiple routes in an area but are only recognized as supplemental routes. How only main routes are eligible for the $800 a month bonus regardless of the numbers that so called supplemental routes have.
He said the irony is he now drives a route he once owned for a contractor that apparently is now losing his shorts. FYI, he is currently looking for a new job.

Funny? I hear the same story as you over and over. I don't know you, don't live by you. Is it possible the ground rah rah group. The 1, now 3 of them are all full of ? Maybe ask Dave to come help out in cheerleading? I miss upstate actually.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Interesting and I'm not too surprised.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What business isn't?

A lot are, but I am talking about yours. And once again, it's a matter of degree, not whether there is any subsidization at all. FedEx can afford to pay more, to every opco...not just Ground. As I've said before, if FedEx had just kept their obligations and maintained the programs and benefits they already had, nobody would even be talking about a union.

bbsam

Staff member
A lot are, but I am talking about yours. And once again, it's a matter of degree, not whether there is any subsidization at all. FedEx can afford to pay more, to every opco...not just Ground. As I've said before, if FedEx had just kept their obligations and maintained the programs and benefits they already had, nobody would even be talking about a union.

First of all, it is not "alot" it is "ALL". Take a look at the tax code and it is clear. And try as you may, there is no way to get around the FACT that nobody is FORCED to work for Ground. What is your best answer to that? That in a bad economy it is the best they can do? Well in that case, taking any other job wouldn't change that the INDIVIDUAL and their family are subsidized. I know that you hate the phrase "the new normal" but that is what the business community with Washingtons acquiescence has created. Nobody is denying that Fred can afford to pay more only that he isn't going to and he is for now satisfied with the results he is getting.

bbsam

Staff member
Funny? I hear the same story as you over and over. I don't know you, don't live by you. Is it possible the ground rah rah group. The 1, now 3 of them are all full of ? Maybe ask Dave to come help out in cheerleading? I miss upstate actually.

287 is well known here. His brother (in law?) worked for Ground. Every so often he stops in to complain about how much better he has it than is brother. Not sure I understand it, but it's a free country.