guns

Johney

If you put a spacer in the mag to limit capacity to 5 rounds, an M-14 is perfectly legal to hunt deer with and iron sights are all you need if you keep your shots down to around 100 yds or less.
I understand it's legal, just doesn't seem to be the ideal gun for deer hunting that's all I'm saying.

oldngray

nowhere special
I understand it's legal, just doesn't seem to be the ideal gun for deer hunting that's all I'm saying.

A lot of people use SKS for deer hunting. 7.62 x 39 is less powerful than the 7.62 x 51 of M-14 but close to a 30-30. Its good enough to get the job done.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I wouldnt use one only because they are kind of heavy to be packing around on a hunting trip. Caliber-wise, the .308 is a good choice for any big game animal on the North American continent.

oldngray

nowhere special
I wouldnt use one only because they are kind of heavy to be packing around on a hunting trip. Caliber-wise, the .308 is a good choice for any big game animal on the North American continent.

.308 is a very good round. I have an M-14 but wouldn't use it for hunting. My Remington 788 in .308 is much lighter and handier to carry around.

soberups

Oh, say it isnt so. THE SCOTUS just handed the GUN nuts a blow to the stomach.

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-declines-challenges-gun-laws-143850213.html

Finally, they get something on guns.

TOS.
SCOTUS declined to hear a case. Not exactly groundbreaking, and if that constitutes a "punch to the gut" for gun rights supporters....then DC vs. Heller is what broke the spine of you gun-banners and McDonald vs Chicago cut your balls off. Go ahead and flail around all you want, and be thankful that by declining to hear the case, SCOTUS didnt drive a stake thru your hearts. At least not yet.

oldngray

nowhere special
Magazine block depends on local laws but they do make them if you need one. Or just a smaller capacity magazine. The standard 20 round mags are illegal in some places for everything. Too many silly gun laws.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Saw a nice Ruger M77 at the show last week in 7.62x39, but it was $1200.:surprised:It was nice, but I thought that was kinda spendy for a piece that has such limited capability.

oldngray

nowhere special
Saw a nice Ruger M77 at the show last week in 7.62x39, but it was $1200.:surprised:It was nice, but I thought that was kinda spendy for a piece that has such limited capability.

Ruger M77 seems to be iffy on accuracy. Some are good but others seem more like lemons. I have one in 25-06 that won't shoot more than mediocre accuracy no matter what I do but have another in .220 Swift that easily shoots 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
One more responsible gun owner, one more dead child:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/...le-demonstrating-laser-sight-on-his-forehead/

Fair use excerpt:

Olm stated that he did not check to see if there was a round in the chamber, but said that the handgun did not have a magazine in it. Olm said that he pointed the laser at the walls and ceiling. And then he pointed it at his nephew.

“Look, you have a red dot on your forehead,” Olm recalled one of the boys saying.

Olm said that when the nephew reached out for the gun, he pulled the trigger. A single bullet struck the child above the eye, causing him to start bleeding and fall over.

Rainman

Its all good.
That is the nice kid who hunted and lived in a rural MN community who had parents that taught him to hunt and shoot and who planned to kill as many people as he could but was caught first.

The problem with the gun culture is that we let crazy people have guns. The problem with our culture is we don't give crazy people the treatment they need.
You make good points. But whose opinion do we go by to determine who is nuts, and who isn't. Psychologists say that everyone is nuts to one degree or another. Where do we draw the line? Evidently whoever made that determination decided that he was sane enough to be considered normal. And we definitely don't give the troubled people enough help. So do we disarm everyone? What's the answer?

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

soberups

One more responsible gun owner, one more dead child:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/...le-demonstrating-laser-sight-on-his-forehead/

Fair use excerpt:
Olm stated that he did not check to see if there was a round in the chamber, but said that the handgun did not have a magazine in it. Olm said that he pointed the laser at the walls and ceiling. And then he pointed it at his nephew.

“Look, you have a red dot on your forehead,” Olm recalled one of the boys saying.

Olm said that when the nephew reached out for the gun, he pulled the trigger. A single bullet struck the child above the eye, causing him to start bleeding and fall over.
And your point would be what?

It was a tragedy. A stupid person did a stupid thing with a gun and a child died. But the statistical fact of the matter is that alcohol is the direct causative factor in far more deaths than guns are...and most gun deaths also involve alcohol. So if we are going to justify banning or heavily regulating guns on the basis of public health or "saving the children"...would you advocate banning alcohol for the same reasons? What about "reasonable restrictions" such as background checks, waiting periods or licensing of alcohol purchasers? How about being required to register your alcohol purchases with the government, and submit to police inspection of your mandatory "child proof" liquor safe? If it will save one child........

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Case after case, guns in the home kill more family than intruders in this country.

As I have said before, this is a toxic country. A land of mental malcontents armed to the teeth just waiting for an opportunity to kill someone.

Alcoholics, drug addicts, prescription abusers and people with mental disorders can get guns and nobody seems to care.

The reason? Well, like Rainman said, who makes that determination? Gun owners dont want mental evaluations before you can get a gun.

If they did, thousands of gun owners wouldnt be allowed to have guns. And those thousands would save lives.

in this case, another home owner with guns falls victim to his own guns because guns solve all problems.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...d-concealed-death-days-cops-article-1.1782643

Death after death in the home and yet gun owners refuse to accept there is a problem with guns.

The glorification of the gun and the ego boost for gun owners is the high that blinds them from reality.

Guns will always kill people, thats what its designed to do.

TOS.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
And your point would be what?

It was a tragedy. A stupid person did a stupid thing with a gun and a child died. But the statistical fact of the matter is that alcohol is the direct causative factor in far more deaths than guns are...and most gun deaths also involve alcohol. So if we are going to justify banning or heavily regulating guns on the basis of public health or "saving the children"...would you advocate banning alcohol for the same reasons? What about "reasonable restrictions" such as background checks, waiting periods or licensing of alcohol purchasers? How about being required to register your alcohol purchases with the government, and submit to police inspection of your mandatory "child proof" liquor safe? If it will save one child........

exposestraw.jpg