guns

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Great article:

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/07/look_at_my_gun_why_nras_scary_open_carry_craze_is_not_about_freedom/

Fair use excerpt:

For instance, in the wake of the new Georgia law which pretty much makes it legal to carry deadly weapons at all times in all places, parents were alarmed when an armed man showed up at the park where their kids were playing little league baseball and waved his gun around shouting “look at my gun!” and “there’s nothing you can do about it.” The police were called and when they arrived they found the man had broken no laws and was perfectly within his rights to do what he did. That was small consolation to the parents, however. Common sense tells anyone that a man waving a gun around in public is dangerous so the parents had no choice but to leave the park. Freedom for the man with the gun trumps freedom for the parents of kids who feel endangered by him.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Since I retired a while back, I admit I'm not the young buck I was many years ago. It's difficult for me to walk now. My wife thinks that since I move slower, I will become the fodder for predators. She fears for me to go to wally world and most places after dark especially. In the last 2 weeks alone in the Houston area, 2 homeowners were shot, 1 fatally while in their own front yards, minding their own business. One was mowing his grass, and the other was setting up a garage sale. My son took his conceal carry test last month and I intend to do the same. All I ask for is a chance to defend myself, not being shot on your own property like a rabid dog. As the saying goes, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
exposestraw.jpg
Its not a straw man.

Public health and child deaths are the standard reasons that the anti-gun crowd uses to justify the infringement of rights and overbearing government intrusion into the lives of law abiding gun owners.

I merely asked you if the same level of government intrusion and control ought to be excercised over a substance-alcohol-- that causes far more deaths than guns.

I guess its easier to cut and paste a cartoon than it is to provise a straight answer to a valid question.

soberups

Great article:

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/07/look_at_my_gun_why_nras_scary_open_carry_craze_is_not_about_freedom/

Fair use excerpt:

For instance, in the wake of the new Georgia law which pretty much makes it legal to carry deadly weapons at all times in all places, parents were alarmed when an armed man showed up at the park where their kids were playing little league baseball and waved his gun around shouting “look at my gun!” and “there’s nothing you can do about it.” The police were called and when they arrived they found the man had broken no laws and was perfectly within his rights to do what he did. That was small consolation to the parents, however. Common sense tells anyone that a man waving a gun around in public is dangerous so the parents had no choice but to leave the park. Freedom for the man with the gun trumps freedom for the parents of kids who feel endangered
by him.

If he was in fact "waving the gun around" then he should have been arrested for reckless endangerment and menacing. For that matter, an armed parent may very well have been justified in using deadly force to
stop such behavior. Comparing the open carry of a holstered firearm to waving one around in a dangerous manner is what is commonly known as a "straw man argument."

Last edited:

Rainman

Its all good.
Great article:

Fair use excerpt:

For instance, in the wake of the new Georgia law which pretty much makes it legal to carry deadly weapons at all times in all places, parents were alarmed when an armed man showed up at the park where their kids were playing little league baseball and waved his gun around shouting “look at my gun!” and “there’s nothing you can do about it.” The police were called and when they arrived they found the man had broken no laws and was perfectly within his rights to do what he did. That was small consolation to the parents, however. Common sense tells anyone that a man waving a gun around in public is dangerous so the parents had no choice but to leave the park. Freedom for the man with the gun trumps freedom for the parents of kids who feel endangered by him.
There will always be A-holes who abuse rights. Does this mean we should punish responsible people?

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Since I retired a while back, I admit I'm not the young buck I was many years ago. It's difficult for me to walk now. My wife thinks that since I move slower, I will become the fodder for predators. She fears for me to go to wally world and most places after dark especially. In the last 2 weeks alone in the Houston area, 2 homeowners were shot, 1 fatally while in their own front yards, minding their own business. One was mowing his grass, and the other was setting up a garage sale. My son took his conceal carry test last month and I intend to do the same. All I ask for is a chance to defend myself, not being shot on your own property like a rabid dog. As the saying goes, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Spend the money moving to a nicer area then buying a gun. If you choose to live in an area where your neighbors are shot dead in their homes, guess what?

YOU MADE A BAD DECISION WHEN YOU BOUGHT YOUR HOME.

TOS.

soberups

Spend the money moving to a nicer area then buying a gun. If you choose to live in an area where your neighbors are shot dead in their homes, guess what?

TOS.

Great idea, except that Utopia is currently at maximum capacity and the waiting list to get in is about 5,000 years long.

Got any wise advice for us poor unfortunates who still have to live in the REAL world?

rod

Retired 22 years

TOS.

This is the stupidest statement I've seen on BC in a long time. In my little town I can think of two neighborhoods that were considered "the good side of town" up until about 10-15 years ago. Now that the homes are getting on in age and the scumbags have moved in the poor elderly people who still own homes there may as well live in a prison. When these people bought or built their homes years ago they were the envy of the town. Everyone else wished they could afford to live in "that" part of town.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This is the stupidest statement I've seen on BC in a long time. In my little town I can think of two neighborhoods that were considered "the good side of town" up until about 10-15 years ago. Now that the homes are getting on in age and the scumbags have moved in the poor elderly people who still own homes there may as well live in a prison. When these people bought or built their homes years ago they were the envy of the town. Everyone else wished they could afford to live in "that" part of town.

Again, time to move. Change happens. Just because you lived somewhere for years and you watched it decay doesnt mean you STAY there.

Change with the times.

And ,grand torino was a stupid movie.

TOS.

rod

Retired 22 years
Again, time to move. Change happens. Just because you lived somewhere for years and you watched it decay doesnt mean you STAY there.

Change with the times.

And ,grand torino was a stupid movie.

TOS.

Sure----sell your little house you built in the 50's for 10 grand. With luck you can get 50 to 75 thousand out of it. Then you can buy a $300,000 house in a nice neighborhood. Just what bubble of goodness do you live in?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Sure----sell your little house you built in the 50's for 10 grand. With luck you can get 50 to 75 thousand out of it. Then you can buy a $300,000 house in a nice neighborhood. Just what bubble of goodness do you live in?

I plan for my future. I dont watch my future go down the toilet, then believe that a gun will make it a better living standard.

You want to live in the sticks for 50K and then watch year after year as the kind of "elements" you dont like take over the neighborhood, then by all means, arm up and shoot it out.

Nothing better than living in fear because of poor planning.

TOS.

rod

Retired 22 years
I plan for my future. I dont watch my future go down the toilet, then believe that a gun will make it a better living standard.

You want to live in the sticks for 50K and then watch year after year as the kind of "elements" you dont like take over the neighborhood, then by all means, arm up and shoot it out.

TOS.

You do realize not everyone works for UPS and makes 90,000 a year don't you?

Johney

Case after case, guns in the home kill more family than intruders in this country.

As I have said before, this is a toxic country. A land of mental malcontents armed to the teeth just waiting for an opportunity to kill someone.

Alcoholics, drug addicts, prescription abusers and people with mental disorders can get guns and nobody seems to care.

The reason? Well, like Rainman said, who makes that determination? Gun owners dont want mental evaluations before you can get a gun.

If they did, thousands of gun owners wouldnt be allowed to have guns. And those thousands would save lives.

in this case, another home owner with guns falls victim to his own guns because guns solve all problems.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...d-concealed-death-days-cops-article-1.1782643

Death after death in the home and yet gun owners refuse to accept there is a problem with guns.

The glorification of the gun and the ego boost for gun owners is the high that blinds them from reality.

Guns will always kill people, thats what its designed to do.

TOS.
You're welcome to leave anytime you like.

roadrunner2012

Troll
If he was in fact "waving the gun around" then he should have been arrested for reckless endangerment and menacing. For that matter, an armed parent may very well have been justified in using deadly force to
stop such behavior. Comparing the open carry of a holstered firearm to waving one around in a dangerous manner is what is commonly known as a "straw man argument."
Did you read the article?

roadrunner2012

Troll
Its not a straw man.

Public health and child deaths are the standard reasons that the anti-gun crowd uses to justify the infringement of rights and overbearing government intrusion into the lives of law abiding gun owners.

I merely asked you if the same level of government intrusion and control ought to be excercised over a substance-alcohol-- that causes far more deaths than guns.

I guess its easier to cut and paste a cartoon than it is to provise a straight answer to a valid question.
Comparing alcohol use, driving, cell phone use, or any other non related thing to firearms, is definitely a strawman argument.

Rainman

Its all good.
Case after case, guns in the home kill more family than intruders in this country.

As I have said before, this is a toxic country. A land of mental malcontents armed to the teeth just waiting for an opportunity to kill someone.

Alcoholics, drug addicts, prescription abusers and people with mental disorders can get guns and nobody seems to care.

The reason? Well, like Rainman said, who makes that determination? Gun owners dont want mental evaluations before you can get a gun.

If they did, thousands of gun owners wouldnt be allowed to have guns. And those thousands would save lives.

in this case, another home owner with guns falls victim to his own guns because guns solve all problems.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...d-concealed-death-days-cops-article-1.1782643

Death after death in the home and yet gun owners refuse to accept there is a problem with guns.

The glorification of the gun and the ego boost for gun owners is the high that blinds them from reality.

Guns will always kill people, thats what its designed to do.

TOS.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If you make gun ownership illegal, then you disarm only the law abiding folks. The criminals will still be armed and will create more havoc than they ever have. This is the real world, the problem lies not with guns, but with people.

Rainman

Its all good.

TOS.
Other people plan for their future too. But not everyone has your resources, and sometimes things happen that you can't plan for, such as a catastrophic illness that affects your spouse or child, possibly even yourself. Then all the plans go out the window. To blame everything on poor planning is extremely simple minded. You are too intelligent to promote such a poorly thought out idea. Your bias and anger are blinding your brains and common sense. Give us a reasonable alternative instead of a bunch of BS.