guns

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So man has the power to take away rights given by "god". Interesting. I think this line of thinking might have deeper implications than you realize.
"Life liberty and pursuit of happiness" can be taken away from criminals by a jury of their peers, in a court proceeding following the due process of law. Happens all the time.

MAKAVELI

in·fringe·ment
inˈfrinjmənt/
noun
plural noun: infringements
  1. 1.
    the action of breaking the terms of a law, agreement, etc.; violation.
    "copyright infringement"
  2. 2.
    the action of limiting or undermining something.
    "the infringement of the right to privacy"
Again, if You have a clean record, your rights are not infringed upon.

MAKAVELI

You might have the same name as a person with a restraining order or a criminal conviction. It happens more often than you might think. The FBI has recently announced that due to staffing issues they are no longer even processing the backlog of over 7,100 NCIS denial appeals. In other words, if you get denied you have no way of knowing when or if the denial will ever be overturned and your 2nd Amendment rights are gone. Even worse is if your name mistakenly (or intentionally) winds up on a "terrorist watch list"....you have no legal right to appeal it, challenge the evidence, or confront the witnesses against you. There is a total lack of due process or presumption of innocence in the process.
A minor inconvenience. Besides, your scenario happens probably to less than 1% of the country.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
"Life liberty and pursuit of happiness" can be taken away from criminals by a jury of their peers, in a court proceeding following the due process of law. Happens all the time.
True.
I'm just curious how a mere man can take away a right granted by "god". It's just interesting to me where this line of thinking stops, which rights can be taken away and which can't, and where a man's authority to do so comes from. Seems like a half thought out concept if you ask me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
True.
I'm just curious how a mere man can take away a right granted by "god". It's just interesting to me where this line of thinking stops, which rights can be taken away and which can't, and where a man's authority to do so comes from. Seems like a half thought out concept if you ask me.
The intent of the Constitution was to make it clear that the Rights were not granted at the whim of a king or other authority figure who would therefore be able to take them away at a whim. We were born with them. The framers also recognized that the rule of law was essential to a free and orderly society, so they specified a legal system with due process of law and other safeguards.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The intent of the Constitution was to make it clear that the Rights were not granted at the whim of a king or other authority figure who would therefore be able to take them away at a whim. We were born with them. The framers also recognized that the rule of law was essential to a free and orderly society, so they specified a legal system with due process of law and other safeguards.
I agree.
It's much simpler when you take a god out of it ;)

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Finally an idea that makes sense .

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...r-gun-free-zone-incidents/78862948/#pq=JCmn0r

Bill allows suits over gun-free zone incidents
How does that make sense?
No one forces people to go to a business that prohibits firearms. In fact, they have to post signs at every entrance letting people know they're prohibited. Don't like it?Then turn around and go somewhere else. Or even better, just ignore the sign.

This is political pandering disguised as a legislation.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You might have the same name as a person with a restraining order or a criminal conviction. It happens more often than you might think. The FBI has recently announced that due to staffing issues they are no longer even processing the backlog of over 7,100 NCIS denial appeals. In other words, if you get denied you have no way of knowing when or if the denial will ever be overturned and your 2nd Amendment rights are gone. Even worse is if your name mistakenly (or intentionally) winds up on a "terrorist watch list"....you have no legal right to appeal it, challenge the evidence, or confront the witnesses against you. There is a total lack of due process or presumption of innocence in the process.

Where's the downside??

TOS.

bbsam

Staff member
Perhaps. Happens every time a person flies. Constitutionally illegal searches all day every day upheld all the time by the courts. No presumption of innocence. No reason universal background checks wouldn't receive the same latitude by the courts.

bbsam

Staff member
The God-given rights enumerated in the Constitution can be taken away by due process of law. If you commit a crime and are convicted in court by a jury of your peers then your freedom is taken away and you go to jail. No rational person would say that criminals should be allowed to have guns or that all gun laws should be abolished. A rational approach would affirm and respect the fact that law-abiding citizens do have a fundamental right to keep and bear arms and that any restrictions upon that right should follow due process of law and be subject to strict scrutiny.
But that isn't what happens. Rights are taken away all the time by ridiculous sentencing guidelines. There is no hearing in a case by case setting to determine whether said rights should be taken from the individual. "Due process" has been streamlined to the convenience of a plea bargain.

rod

Retired 22 years
My brother in law has a 284 Winchester Model 100 that he needs some ammo for and can't find it here. Anyone have a "favorite" ammo seller website they could recommend?

oldngray

nowhere special
My brother in law has a 284 Winchester Model 100 that he needs some ammo for and can't find it here. Anyone have a "favorite" ammo seller website they could recommend?

I checked some ammo sites I know and even the places that carry .284 ammo are all out of stock. It is pretty much a load your own cartridge now since it is considered obsolete.