guns

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
SKS's come with a fixed 10 round clip. You load it from the bottom. Adding an aftermarket 20-30 magazine causes it to jam. They're my least favorite rifle. But, I bought them years ago for $98, new in the box still covered is cosmoline, now my girls are worth $300 a piece. The SKS is a bad choice of rifle when talking about high capacity magazines.
An SKS with a 10 round fixed magazine loads from the top using stripper clips, not from the bottom.

You are correct that the aftermarket "duckbill" magazines are junk. Some SKS's (Norinco M and D models) were designed from the factory to use detachable AK-47 magazines.

The shooter in Dallas didnt use am SKS. He used a Saiga in 5.45 mm which is basically the Russian version of a .223 AR-15.

MAKAVELI

SKS's come with a fixed 10 round clip. You load it from the bottom. Adding an aftermarket 20-30 magazine causes it to jam. They're my least favorite rifle. But, I bought them years ago for $98, new in the box still covered is cosmoline, now my girls are worth $300 a piece. The SKS is a bad choice of rifle when talking about high capacity magazines.

wayfair

swollen member
You can argue all you want, if shotguns were that easy to use during a mass shooting, they would be used everytime, but we dont see that at all,

weird, this guy did
hqdefault.jpg

Washington Navy Yard shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gear

Parts on Order
An SKS with a 10 round fixed magazine loads from the top using stripper clips, not from the bottom.

You are correct that the aftermarket "duckbill" magazines are junk. Some SKS's (Norinco M and D models) were designed from the factory to use detachable AK-47 magazines.

The shooter in Dallas didnt use am SKS. He used a Saiga in 5.45 mm which is basically the Russian version of a .223 AR-15.

I dont have any stripper clips. I load mine from the bottom. Flip it over, drop the bottom and tension lever, load the rounds, push the lever and bottom of the magazine back in. When I had the 30 round magazine in, I had to load from the top without stripper clips. Between all the jams and the chance of getting my fingers smashed I removed the 30 rounder. So, yes you can load a SKS from the bottom.

oldngray

nowhere special
I guess anything is possible if you spend enough money. Why put a bunch of money into a $98 piece of garbage? Especially when you can be a reliable AK-47.

SKS is better in a lot of ways than an AK. More accurate and very reliable if you don't mess with the original 10 round box magazine. It CAN be converted to use AK mags but not that easily (requires some milling and needs to be done correctly to feed properly). The only real flaw in the design is the floating firing pin which can cause slam fires if you drop the rifle. Not that likely but it is a possibility.

AK-47 looks more menacing and will fire no matter what you do to it. Reliability is its best feature but since the original design was spray and pray it is not very accurate.

I have both and prefer the SKS myself. Other people with me when I am shooting are attracted to the AK based on reputation and looks.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont have any stripper clips. I load mine from the bottom. Flip it over, drop the bottom and tension lever, load the rounds, push the lever and bottom of the magazine back in. When I had the 30 round magazine in, I had to load from the top without stripper clips. Between all the jams and the chance of getting my fingers smashed I removed the 30 rounder. So, yes you can load a SKS from the bottom.
The SKS was designed to be loaded from the top with stripper clips. With practice, an SKS can be reloaded almost as fast as an AK with a detachable magazine. SKS's are great guns as long as they are kept in their stock configuration. The 30 round aftermarket mags are unreliable junk.

wayfair

swollen member
That SKS is modified with an aftermarket Tapco stock and fixed 30 round magazine. You have to load the magazine from the top, it is not detachable.

At 1:50 he drops the magazine.

then at 2:13 he puts a 40 rounder in.

I don't have a tapco mag, I have the old metal ones.
Never had any issues with ftf with them.

bbsam

Staff member
I find it funny that people register their "disagree"on this.

Maybe some time in the "Total Perspective Vortex" will give some of you a glimpse of how truly insignificant you really are.

And just for fun, the internet is full of videos of the US military eliminating armed insurgents. Take a look at those while day dreaming about defending against this malicious federal government.