Has our union proven themselves useless at this point?

I fought against this tier wage system all the way back in the 70's. I tried to explain that having 2 different employees doing the same job and a big difference in wage would cause problems. Management looked it as "if I can get rid of this seniority employee, I can hire 2 because the beginning wage scale is 1/2 his rate". At that point, it seemed as it was a feather in management cap for every seniority employee that could get rid of. Which the managers felt, I am working a smaller payroll and in turn helping themselves for their own promotions and raises.
Did you forget what decade you were in.

oldngray

nowhere special
Are you saying that dropping 1000+ pkgs at the p.o. in 15-20 min is a monetary loss for UPS?

Please explain.

It costs UPS money in the time it takes to bag but I don't thing they are losing money. Just not making as much as they would if UPS delivered it all by themselves. Only a small profit from surepost but still better than a loss.

10 point

It costs UPS money in the time it takes to bag but I don't think they are losing money. Just not making as much as they would if UPS delivered it all by themselves. Only a small profit from surepost but still better than a loss.
I was told that we make $4.00 per pkg on average dropping it at the p.o.

If there is any truth to that we're making an easy profit at the large p.o. sites.

My old route dropped major amounts of pkgs at the main p.o. and I was told there was over 1500 pkgs dropped off daily with an average of 20 min for that stop.

If we're losing $ on that we're stupid for handling it.

Should have clarified.... delivering them (individually) would be. :biggrin:
Gotcha. Thx.

But only on proximity stops I guess?

oldngray

nowhere special
I was told that we make $4.00 per pkg on average dropping it at the p.o.

If there is any truth to that we're making an easy profit at the large p.o. sites.

My old route dropped major amounts of pkgs at the main p.o. and I was told there was over 1500 pkgs dropped off daily with an average of 20 min for that stop.

If we're losing $ on that we're stupid for handling it.

Gotcha. Thx.

But only on proximity stops I guess?

I really doubt UPS makes $4 per package. Most those are (or are supposed to be) only a pound or two.

10 point

I really doubt UPS makes $4 per package. Most those are (or are supposed to be) only a pound or two.
$4.00 per lb is out of line?
Not so sure about that.

I heard from our PDS that we had to reimburse the p.o. $1.50 per pkg if we deliver it ourselves.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I should rephrase. I am not worried about my person financial situation. I am worried about the sustainability of my pension fund and would love to have the company buy us out.

first lady hh 3

Smalls n everything else!
xexys, you are way wrong on the 401k generating the kind of income of the pension, even if you max it out.
I haven't even come close to maxing out the 401k, but when you count the rising stock market, the rise in stock prices that I own in my 401k, the reinvested dividents and my own contributions to my 401k, my 401k may be my #1 retirement plan if the market doesn't totally tank unexpectedly between now and 13 years.
Their are reasons for my statement of this. First, I get to choose how my moneys are invested, not someone else. Second, all of my money I invest in my 401k are working for only me, not other orphan teamsters. And 3rd, after retirement, I plan on taking out about 1/3 of my dividend income in my 401k every year. Use some of the rest to pay the income taxes from withdrawing moneys from my plan, and then reinvest the rest to continue to grow my 401k. I always hold about 10% or 20% in cash reserves, so that if the market does tank, I can buy cheap. Gotta love the game.
Smart move! Doing the same!

margaritaville

The union can suck sometimes and let HR get away with BS.

However, i never want to get rid of the union. I dont want to want to lose my 100k a year job when im close to retirement just because of bad numbers for a week or an accident or some other bs reason. Long as im "honest" im fire proof because of the union. And the security is my #1 thing.

10 point

It's supposed to be a 10# weight limit. Not 1-2#s.

I still say the "record volume" pkgs we've seen have been manipulated to the p.o. against new contract language and the people delivering the p.o. stops better watch it because this new program the company implemented right before peak diverted thousands of pkgs to the p.o. that should've been delivered by ups drivers and if not caught and challenged will ultimately diminish the bargaining unit levels down the road.