"have you ever heard of sense of urgency? " - PT supe

Hawk0819

You need a sense of urgency to work at UPS, especially in the Hub. Yeah you get paid by the hour and yeah you absolutely should work safe everyday I'll support that. What I won't support is laziness. The fact that you would respond to that question with 'no, it wasn't part of my safety questions' shows you're part of the problem. UPS, last time I checked, was all about urgency. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be working there plain and simple.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You need a sense of urgency to work at UPS, especially in the Hub. Yeah you get paid by the hour and yeah you absolutely should work safe everyday I'll support that. What I won't support is laziness. The fact that you would respond to that question with 'no, it wasn't part of my safety questions' shows you're part of the problem. UPS, last time I checked, was all about urgency. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be working there plain and simple.
Maybe, they should have the same urgency in paying you correctly. And, when a proven shortage is discovered, a sense of urgency in resolving the matter would be nice. Alas, that is not the case.

The only urgency I will feel upon my return is the urgency to file a harassment grievance if the need arises, followed by a few phone calls-starting with the 800#.

Norma

Sense of urgency when they "forget" my vacation check?
Sense of urgency when my start time is pushed back 20-25 minutes instead of 15? Of course they have "no idea" how it happened, nor do they ever give an explanation.
Sense of urgency when my 4 trucks are overloaded by 100 stops? Repeatedly? "They have no choice" was an actual answer I received. Usually the weasals just stay 50 feet or more from my work area. They think that makes them invisible.
Sense of urgency when my boxes are stacked 10 feet high? One safety soup had the audacity to ask me if other people are having the same problem. I guess safety issues are OK if others are having the same issue.

tre305

Let them know that this job is a marathon and not a sprint. The pace is what the pace is! Your focus should be on safety rather than production.

Funny you say that, at my center down here it seems safety takes a back seat to production. Safety "second" seems to be the norm....that is until we get a heads up on a keter or internal audit then it's a mad dash for me and the rest of the safety committee to get everyone up to speed on the SWMs and DOKs

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hawk0819,

I diagree with the term "sense of urgency" in the workplace.

What I can agree with is each person should seek to give a reasonable performance.

I believe in a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

Most individuals that I have experienced who use the term "sense of urgency" and try to push it on others act more like they are under a sense of panic, fear and futility.

I truly feel sorry for them.

Sincerely,
I

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We drive package cars around all day, not ambulances. We deliver Zappos shoes, not trauma victims. I have a brown truck with the pickup of a farm tractor, not a red siren equipped, lights flashing, and equipped with a engine that isn't older than me truck.

Last edited:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Sense of Urgency and Fair Day's work for a Fair Day's wage have one thing in common. It's purposely vague. And when it's purposely vague, the company wins. Now. If we had a production standard 5-8 years ago, then UPS would have been forced to hire more drivers because a 9.5 day was around 110 stops per car. Today it's 141 stops per car. The problem is, if it's vague, all the company has to do is change it's outlook. When I first started, it was a service based company. The moment it went public; it changed to a production based lean strategy. A production standard would not be a horrible thing because then UPS would be forced to live by it for the length of the contract. There's plenty of drivers that prefer their workload from 5 years ago to today.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sense of Urgency and Fair Day's work for a Fair Day's wage have one thing in common. It's purposely vague. And when it's purposely vague, the company wins. Now. If we had a production standard 5-8 years ago, then UPS would have been forced to hire more drivers because a 9.5 day was around 110 stops per car. Today it's 141 stops per car. The problem is, if it's vague, all the company has to do is change it's outlook. When I first started, it was a service based company. The moment it went public; it changed to a production based lean strategy. A production standard would not be a horrible thing because then UPS would be forced to live by it for the length of the contract. There's plenty of drivers that prefer their workload from 5 years ago to today.
sortaisle.

I agree.

A production standard would help the rank and file not hurt them.

Sincerely,
I