Healthcare cost raised for the retired

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Never let them hear you snore.

They are going above just snoring.

They are following the guidelines of the FMCSA with this new DOT registration.

Congress shot down this being law, but the FMCSA has made them recommendations that the DOT doctors are following.

The doctors are afraid of the $10,000 fine, so they are serious on this sleep apnea.

Basically, if you have multiple (more than 2) risk factors, they are sending drivers for the sleep study. So far, it is only for feeder drivers, but package drivers will be next.

Any 2 of the following risk factors could send you to a sleep center for testing.

Snoring
BMI over 35
Neck over 17
Accident where drowsiness may have been a factor
Over 50

And Teamcare only pays 80%

I have heard that the study runs around $4000 costing the employee $800 out of his pocket for the study.

10 point

They are going above just snoring.

They are following the guidelines of the FMCSA with this new DOT registration.

Congress shot down this being law, but the FMCSA has made them recommendations that the DOT doctors are following.

The doctors are afraid of the $10,000 fine, so they are serious on this sleep apnea.

Basically, if you have multiple (more than 2) risk factors, they are sending drivers for the sleep study. So far, it is only for feeder drivers, but package drivers will be next.

Any 2 of the following risk factors could send you to a sleep center for testing.

Snoring
BMI over 35
Neck over 17
Accident where drowsiness may have been a factor
Over 50

And Teamcare only pays 80%

I have heard that the study runs around $4000 costing the employee $800 out of his pocket for the study.
Pkg car drivers have been audited about sleep apnea here for several years.

There are other tests besides those listed above that were never administered before last year.

Could be an overzealous young doctor too.

542thruNthru

We had 6 drivers in my center alone that had to do a sleep study.

3 are guys that love going to the gym and getting big. They were not happy at all.

The hoops they all told me you have to go through sounds like a nightmare. Also 2 were sent because they were right on the dot at BMI 35 and neck size at 17. Nothing they could do to fight it also. It's ridiculous and our local was absolutely no help they said.

I can see where he is coming from also but let's say we give every retiree a vote. Does anyone really think they will not vote for themselves. Every single retiree will vote NO on anything that doesn't benefit them. "Oh those guys don't need better 9.5 language I didn't have it." "They don't need a raise they make enough." Seriously every vote will only be for their benefits. I understand that everything changes with every contract. I know that and still have 20 years to go. How is it these guys that are retired didn't realize that?

Look I'm sorry you got screwed I really am. I didn't like the contract either but as you can see they passed it anyways. I'm just getting sick of hearing the same old line "these guys don't think about their future or look out for the past drivers." Well I seriously doubt you guys thought of the retirees with every contract. I also see you didn't think about the future drivers since we have a two tier scale and have seen progression steadily increase over the years.
True, but way punish them instead of just grandfather them in on the amount they voted on when the were able to vote.

rod

Retired 22 years
Never let them hear you snore.

That's the bottom line. Sleep apnea is the flavor of the day when it comes to how the medical industry drums up new business. Another one is "depression". I've noticed in the last 10 years or so every time you have a doctors appointment they always manage to ask you if you have been feeling "depressed" lately. Especially at the VA clinic.

Last edited:

Inthegame

We had 6 drivers in my center alone that had to do a sleep study.

3 are guys that love going to the gym and getting big. They were not happy at all.

The hoops they all told me you have to go through sounds like a nightmare. Also 2 were sent because they were right on the dot at BMI 35 and neck size at 17. Nothing they could do to fight it also. It's ridiculous and our local was absolutely no help they said.
The local can't fix a speeding ticket either. It's the law, not the contract that's responsible for this.

oldupsman

I can see where he is coming from also but let's say we give every retiree a vote. Does anyone really think they will not vote for themselves. Every single retiree will vote NO on anything that doesn't benefit them. "Oh those guys don't need better 9.5 language I didn't have it." "They don't need a raise they make enough." Seriously every vote will only be for their benefits. I understand that everything changes with every contract. I know that and still have 20 years to go. How is it these guys that are retired didn't realize that?

Look I'm sorry you got screwed I really am. I didn't like the contract either but as you can see they passed it anyways. I'm just getting sick of hearing the same old line "these guys don't think about their future or look out for the past drivers." Well I seriously doubt you guys thought of the retirees with every contract. I also see you didn't think about the future drivers since we have a two tier scale and have seen progression steadily increase over the years.

I totally disagree. Better 9.5 language? Should have had that 20 years ago. Why would I vote against a raise? I know how hard you work. I've been there. Why should things change every contract. The company is making a billion a year.
We didn't have to worry about retirees. They always got what was promised. Not anymore. I screamed bloody murder about the progression for years. The two teir was started after I left. 4 year progression is a freakin crime. Yet these contracts keep getting passed. Oh boy I got my 70 cent raise. I'm more likely to vote no than
these guys now.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The local can't fix a speeding ticket either. It's the law, not the contract that's responsible for this.

It is not the law governing sleep apnea. Congress shot down the FMCSA when they tried to make it the law.

It is now only a recommendation by the FMCSA backed up by a $10,000 fine to any DOT doctor who certtifies a driver when their medical judgement should be telling them to get a sleep study done.

The way the FMCSA would find out is if a driver was involved in an accident and they check the DOT records. If the driver had multiple risk factors at that time and the doctor certified him anyway, this doctor is in deep trouble.

So the doctors are just covering their butts and ordering the testing based on the FMCSA guidelines.

And no, the union can do nothing about it.

542thruNthru

I didn't mean to come off as it's the locals fault. They simply meant they had no information on it. They seemed completely blindsided by it also is how it was explained to me.

542thruNthru

I totally disagree. Better 9.5 language? Should have had that 20 years ago. Why would I vote against a raise? I know how hard you work. I've been there. Why should things change every contract. The company is making a billion a year.
We didn't have to worry about retirees. They always got what was promised. Not anymore. I screamed bloody murder about the progression for years. The two teir was started after I left. 4 year progression is a freakin crime. Yet these contracts keep getting passed. Oh boy I got my 70 cent raise. I'm more likely to vote no than
these guys now.

You're the exception not the rule. Before you refute that, if you weren't none of it would have ever passed.

oldupsman

You're the exception not the rule. Before you refute that, if you weren't none of it would have ever passed.

Well I admit we had the same problem you do. People not voting. I've been out 7 years now and the two tier and 4 year progression
still pisses me off. Why the IBT would ever even allow that to be part of an agreement is beyond me.

Inthegame

I didn't mean to come off as it's the locals fault. They simply meant they had no information on it. They seemed completely blindsided by it also is how it was explained to me.
Our local has "suggested" our members should use caution when responding to the wide open questions from DOT docs such as "Have you ever fallen asleep when watching TV" or "do you ever snore"?
By all means get help if you need it but as Mug points out this is a huge net they're casting and it costs pretty big money.
It is not the law governing sleep apnea. Congress shot down the FMCSA when they tried to make it the law.

It is now only a recommendation by the FMCSA backed up by a $10,000 fine to any DOT doctor who certtifies a driver when their medical judgement should be telling them to get a sleep study done.

The way the FMCSA would find out is if a driver was involved in an accident and they check the DOT records. If the driver had multiple risk factors at that time and the doctor certified him anyway, this doctor is in deep trouble.

So the doctors are just covering their butts and ordering the testing based on the FMCSA guidelines.

And no, the union can do nothing about it.

Our local has "suggested" our members should use caution when responding to the wide open questions from DOT docs such as "Have you ever fallen asleep when watching TV" or "do you ever snore"?
By all means get help if you need it but as Mug points out this is a huge net they're casting and it costs pretty big money.
If you got a dot physical coming up its never a bad idea for I cut a little weight in the month pryer.