Heat issues with tattoos.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
And a lot less SPOH.

We have a few guys that wear long pants and long sleeve shirts year round, some of them walk in every morning wearing an insulated vest. I have never understood that, Summers are especially brutal with the high humidity and temps around these parts.

I meant to say the problem is guys are passing out because they are wearing paints and long sleeves. First off the company doesn't care about tattoos. They just don't want obscene ones. They want to have control on saying what is a good or bad tattoo at any time. The union wants the company to put the specific tattoos in writing so down the road a military tattoo offends someone because they don't like military or someone has a cross and the customer isn't religious. So now the company pushes the contract and the contract states that the company can change the uniform guidelines any way the want. Nothing trumps that. Not state law, federal law or even OSHA can do it. Now let's hope that these guys going down on the job elevates the company's thinking. If not people are going to get killed.

didyousheetit

There was a time we only had long pants, we made it though Summer months with no problem........
Wasn't that the same time we were on paper, no over 70's(go a couple more years back no over 50's), no orion , no telematics, supervisors that actually knew the job, and so on...........

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't that the same time we were on paper, no over 70's(go a couple more years back no over 50's), no orion , no telematics, supervisors that actually knew the job, and so on...........

Along with manual steering, manual transmissions, high step package cars, and lots of other wonderful equipment that made the job so easy.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm glad UPS has appearance standards and keeps drivers looking presentable to our customers.

I don't want my cover driver looking like a pirate or Hell's Angel biker while delivering to my people.

Come to think of it, makes me look better in their eyes, but still think it's a good clause.

On a side note, I've noticed a lot more normal-looking people getting tattoos in the neck area and below the throat so it can be seen.
I guess everyone got bored with the tramp stamp !!! lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Normal looking people with tattoos on their neck or throat?

U can't be normal and have tattoos? I know someone that's a very powerful member of their community. High paying medical job board member of a bank and so on. Covered in tattoos basically on every piece of their body that pants and a short sleeve shirt would cover.

Personally I'd never get one but they are just a way of expression.

Nimnim

The Nim
So if someone gets "makeup" or eyebrows tattooed on their face would they have to wear a mask while at work to cover it up?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Normal looking people with tattoos on their neck or throat?

I've seen a lot of people with tattoos on their neck and upper chest, with only parts visible over the collar of the shirt.

I don't have tattoos, but the allure of tattoos is to have something unique. Putting them in places other than the arm, leg, or lower back is a part of that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Local 177 does not have a problem with tattoos...the company does. when i was hired 28 years ago i was told to keep them covered and i have to this day.if they got them after they got hired they should have known better then to get them where they could be seen.

Your local is weak. We had this same issue come up and we prevailed. All new drivers hired after '03 or '04 were made aware of the companies tattoo policy prior to being promoted, and covering their tats was a condition of employment as a driver that they agreed to. The older guys who got hired with visible tats and went for years without covering them were "grandfathered in" and were not forced to cover them up.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A company whose employees deal directly with the public has every right to establish reasonable appearance standards.

What it doesnt have the right to do...is to enforce those standards arbitrarily and retroactively. If they hired you as a driver in '86 with a Navy tattoo on your forearm, they dont have the right to come back 27 years later and say you have to start covering it. By the same token, if you have made a personal choice to tattoo flaming naked big titty biker chicks with skulls and swastikas on your arms, you cant get all butt-hurt when the company orders you to cover that crap up.

Tattoos are becoming more and more socially acceptable as time goes on. Ideally, the company and the union would sit down together and establish general guidelines as to what sorts of tattoos are and are not suitable for public view. Case-by-case decisions as to the suitability of a particular tattoo would be made by a committee at each building composed of an equal number of management and hourly employees. I think that if both sides were reasonable and respectful of one anothers viewpoints, it could work. Simply forcing all employees to cover all tattoos is not reasonable; neither is allowing each employee to ink himself in whatever manner he sees fit regardless of how offensive his choices might be.

A company whose employees deal directly with the public has every right to establish reasonable appearance standards.

What it doesn't have the right to do...is to enforce those standards arbitrarily and retroactively. If they hired you as a driver in '86 with a Navy tattoo on your forearm, they don't have the right to come back 27 years later and say you have to start covering it. By the same token, if you have made a personal choice to tattoo flaming naked big titty biker chicks with skulls and swastikas on your arms, you cant get all butt-hurt when the company orders you to cover that crap up.

Tattoos are becoming more and more socially acceptable as time goes on. Ideally, the company and the union would sit down together and establish general guidelines as to what sorts of tattoos are and are not suitable for public view. Case-by-case decisions as to the suitability of a particular tattoo would be made by a committee at each building composed of an equal number of management and hourly employees. I think that if both sides were reasonable and respectful of one anothers viewpoints, it could work. Simply forcing all employees to cover all tattoos is not reasonable; neither is allowing each employee to ink himself in whatever manner he sees fit regardless of how offensive his choices might be.

Great thought but you're talking about our company. They can't get a committee together for something like safety and that has defined guidelines. Tattoo committee would have to decide what their interpretation of what is acceptable. Good luck with that.

image.jpgI've got tattoos and nobody's ever said anything about covering them up.
image.jpg