UPS_HOPEFULL

Hired off the street june of 2017 a week ago manager told me HR screwed up and hired too many people. Now this morning he calls me and tell me they no longer need me. Is this right? Can I fight it being that the only excuse is HR screwed up?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Hired off the street june of 2017 a week ago manager told me HR screwed up and hired too many people. Now this morning he calls me and tell me they no longer need me. Is this right? Can I fight it being that the only excuse is HR screwed up?
You do realize your part of a union right. I'd start by calling them. Friggin rookies.

Daf

Depending on your seniority, you should have the right to work inside until volume picks up. Eventually they will need you to drive again. This happens after Christmas every year. In a couple of months they will be complaining that they don't have enough people.

CoolStoryBro

You need to find out if you were hired as a temporary, seasonal driver. Or if you are a full time union driver. If you are full time union then this is a lay off until volume picks up and they need more drivers again. That's when they will utilize your services once again. If you are a temporary, seasonal then this is the end of your time at UPS.

UPS_HOPEFULL

Depending on your seniority, you should have the right to work inside until volume picks up. Eventually they will need you to drive again. This happens after Christmas every year. In a couple of months they will be complaining that they don't have enough people.
I will go talk to him today thanks

UPS_HOPEFULL

You need to find out if you were hired as a temporary, seasonal driver. Or if you are a full time union driver. If you are full time union then this is a lay off until volume picks up and they need more drivers again. That's when they will utilize your services once again. If you are a temporary, seasonal then this is the end of your time at UPS.
I'm full time, he told me in the summer he can use me again

CoolStoryBro

I'm full time, he told me in the summer he can use me again

OK,Now you need ti figure out if you can work inside the warehouse in the meantime. Different rules all over the place. In some places you can work preload. In my local you cannot bump a part timer. You have to wait until they need a new one.

CoolStoryBro

Ask your driver supervisor if you can work preload or local sort or whatever. then get the telephone number to your union local. Call them. They should know exact procedures and circumstances that allow you to go back to working inside.

And get your unemployment process started as soon as possible. if you aren't working there is money there for you.

trickpony1

With the high turnover in the hub I'm surprised the OP hasn't been asked to work inside unless, of course, there's some voodoo language that says he can't.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy-3.gif

Returntosender

UPS standard operating procedure. Over hire create the hope of full time than let go cause HR screwed up.

Well some of the full timers get called back but it’s around spring and it’s not normally full time work. Hopefully your center got a quite a number of senior drivers who plan to retire early 2018. You might get lucky and get one of the lowest driver spots.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
You should be guaranteed 8 hrs if you made seniority but you will be working inside I would talk to BA or union steward and they should figure that out for you. Had that happen a couple years ago to some lower seniority drivers they eventually went back to driving