Hour Breaks Required

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by SuperHandler, Aug 12, 2014.

1. SuperHandler

SuperHandler Member

Now required to take an hour break after an 8 hour shift. Well, there goes the SFA score.

2. 5yearsleft

5yearsleft Member

This is pretty common for about 3 or 4 months out of the year. It is not enforced whenever it is convenient for them to drop it (like peak!) and then it always is dropped right before SFA. They haven't required us to take the hour for about 6 months now.

3. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Just a power play compliments of MT3.

He'll be bitching soon that service failures are up.

4. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

That's funny. After after being required forever to take an hour break at 8 hours, we were recently told we only need to take 30 mins. Wahoo!

Pretty sure this isn't an MT3 thing for once. Probably district director.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. TheJackal

TheJackal Active Member

I haven't taken an hour break in a long, long time.

6. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I've never liked taking breaks. Much prefer to eat on the run and keep progressing through the job.

7. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

We got this just after peak ended. Of course, when freight is late or there is an early pull, they tell you it's ok to skip. I usually take my break on those days and end up with lates or DEX 01's. Sorry, I'm either taking my break every day or skipping. There shouldn't be an in between.

8. hypo hanna

hypo hanna Well-Known Member

Just your director trying to make goal. Once the service failures go up you will be back to 30 minutes.

This kind of jerking you around with hours is something you won't see at a union shop.

9. Mr. 7

Mr. 7 The monkey on the left.

I take how ever long of a break I feel like.
    Yesterday, 2 hrs., today half hr.

10. TheJackal

TheJackal Active Member

We've always been told not taking a break is not an option. Even during PEAK, I take 30 minutes. I'm with bbsam, if I could, I wouldn't take a break at all.

11. TerryFXHD

TerryFXHD New Member

FXHD and FXG drivers can't be forced to take breaks. We don't work for them.

12. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

But drivers can sue their contractors if their state requires one and they don't provide time for a break

13. SuperHandler

SuperHandler Member

Yeah...Then they can retire in a van down by the river.

14. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

Hour break after 8 hours? What kind of whacky rules do you fedex people live by?

15. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

Whatever wacky rule they come up with that day, usually in response to some kind of lawsuit (or so they say).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. hypo hanna

hypo hanna Well-Known Member

We have a department based in Memphis who's sole function is the creation of new whacky rules!

17. Reattempt tomorrow

Reattempt tomorrow New Member

I take an hour break everyday. Only 30 minutes of it is paid.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. CJinx

CJinx Well-Known Member

Laws vary from state to state, and company policy is all over the map depending on who's enforcing it. As for FXG/FHD drivers; not our employees, not our problem.:smart:

Whenever something happens with payroll or break hours, blame the lawsuit in Cali. There's always something going on in Cali. :knockedout:

19. fedupforsure

fedupforsure Member

I will never again take an hour break and have made station mgt very aware of this fact. I will turn in ID and walk out the door, but then again I only have # months till I retire so it would not affect me too much

20. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

Not sure what everyone is talking about, but DOT requires a break/rest period

FedEx "rules"
    Under 6hrs no break required.
    Over 6hrs but under 8hrs :30min required.
    Over 8hrs :60Min required.

per DOT At least a 30min break should be taken(started) before you hit the 8hr mark on the clock.

So if you are not doing at least the 30min before 8, and you get pulled over by DOT or whoever you will be in Trouble... not to mention working straight through can be dangerous. Your body needs to rest..