How about some rampant speculation?

vantexan

So you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, according to managers who cheat you. Alrighty then. More importantly...

I guess we have differing philosophies about what to expect from employers. I don't see my employer (or any employer) as a pay & benefits company that delivers packages on the side. I don't see any reason for them to throw fat raises at me just because I stuck around. It became obvious to me a good 20 years ago that any job can disappear at any time with little or no warning. A business won't keep doing things that it can't afford to do no matter how hard you used to work. It's safe to say that most employees' concern and interest of their employer and their related industry begins and ends with their paychecks. That doesn't stop them from trying to dictate how things should be in the workplace.

There you go with the fat raises. I'm asking for the same deal, or even a reasonably modified deal, that our topped out couriers got. That's all. You seem to be saying that we should live austere lives and be thankful for whatever we get. You're right, differing philosophies. And I'm not asking for a handout. I should also mention I've done things like run two rts while coworkers refused to help. For months, getting off after 2000' sometimes 2300. And put myself off at 11 hrs or 55 total to keep boss happy and drove in off the clock. I've worked every Christmas Day ever asked of me, and every Mother's Day Sunday. I volunteered to meet a truck at midnight in 17 degree temp on Christmas Eve. As a swing and 4X10 cover I've performed as well as any I've covered, better than most. Have volunteered to unload cans the last 3 years. And I'm not complaining about all that. It's just after all those years of going farther than most I came to the realization that I could've done like many couriers and just did the minimum expected and would've been better off financially. FedEx doesn't reward hard work. All that happens is the one willing to work is pushed to do more and more to the point of exhaustion. For this I expect better than I got. Instead I get kicks in the teeth from some guy on the Internet who presumes to know me and what I'm about. In the name of profits for a relative few the company has destroyed a good thing for many. And amazingly it seems they think we should be happy about it. Not asking for UPS pay or benefits. Just believe after 13.5 years I should be topped out, and if I dedicate my life to helping the company's success they could do better with the pension. And for the record, I've worked for mgrs I'd go to war for. They aren't the ones who've cheated me(and customers for which some got fired). As my time is wrapping up I just want to spend my time thinking about better things and not about exploitive people who put their bank accounts ahead of the people who make it happen for them.

northeast swing driver

There you go with the fat raises. I'm asking for the same deal, or even a reasonably modified deal, that our topped out couriers got. That's all. You seem to be saying that we should live austere lives and be thankful for whatever we get. You're right, differing philosophies. And I'm not asking for a handout. I should also mention I've done things like run two rts while coworkers refused to help. For months, getting off after 2000' sometimes 2300. And put myself off at 11 hrs or 55 total to keep boss happy and drove in off the clock. I've worked every Christmas Day ever asked of me, and every Mother's Day Sunday. I volunteered to meet a truck at midnight in 17 degree temp on Christmas Eve. As a swing and 4X10 cover I've performed as well as any I've covered, better than most. Have volunteered to unload cans the last 3 years. And I'm not complaining about all that. It's just after all those years of going farther than most I came to the realization that I could've done like many couriers and just did the minimum expected and would've been better off financially. FedEx doesn't reward hard work. All that happens is the one willing to work is pushed to do more and more to the point of exhaustion. For this I expect better than I got. Instead I get kicks in the teeth from some guy on the Internet who presumes to know me and what I'm about. In the name of profits for a relative few the company has destroyed a good thing for many. And amazingly it seems they think we should be happy about it. Not asking for UPS pay or benefits. Just believe after 13.5 years I should be topped out, and if I dedicate my life to helping the company's success they could do better with the pension. And for the record, I've worked for mgrs I'd go to war for. They aren't the ones who've cheated me(and customers for which some got fired). As my time is wrapping up I just want to spend my time thinking about better things and not about exploitive people who put their bank accounts ahead of the people who make it happen for them.

don't bother wasting time arguing with the suit

he's freddies errand boy.

a first class lackey

bbsam

Staff member
Let's see---59 Dano is a lackey, bbsam is a Ground jockey---what does that make me?

As I said earlier, you need to stay in the minor leagues--there is no way you could make it with your attitude at UPS.

You act like washing out of the minor leagues can't happen.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
There you go with the fat raises. I'm asking for the same deal, or even a reasonably modified deal, that our topped out couriers got. That's all. You seem to be saying that we should live austere lives and be thankful for whatever we get. You're right, differing philosophies.

I'm saying nothing of the sort. I'm saying no one is owed much of anything.

FedEx doesn't reward hard work. All that happens is the one willing to work is pushed to do more and more to the point of exhaustion. For this I expect better than I got. Instead I get kicks in the teeth from some guy on the Internet who presumes to know me and what I'm about. In the name of profits for a relative few the company has destroyed a good thing for many.

Well I don't know what to tell you. Express has taken some pretty strong measures in recent years to remain competitive and profitable in a terrible economic climate. The result of all of that work is to maintain a 5% net profit margin. A guy may think that his employee deserves $40/hour for what he does but if the math doesn't justify it, he's not going to get it. Period. There will always be disagreement over how it *should be, but I try to play my cards based on how things are and make the best of it.

If it's possible to do things the way you want them done and keep the margin of profit growing at the same time, go to Memphis and show them. They'd promote you in a heartbeat and the only money problems you'd have would be trying to figure out how to spend all of it.

vantexan

I'm saying nothing of the sort. I'm saying no one is owed much of anything.

Well I don't know what to tell you. Express has taken some pretty strong measures in recent years to remain competitive and profitable in a terrible economic climate. The result of all of that work is to maintain a 5% net profit margin. A guy may think that his employee deserves $40/hour for what he does but if the math doesn't justify it, he's not going to get it. Period. There will always be disagreement over how it *should be, but I try to play my cards based on how things are and make the best of it.

If it's possible to do things the way you want them done and keep the margin of profit growing at the same time, go to Memphis and show them. They'd promote you in a heartbeat and the only money problems you'd have would be trying to figure out how to spend all of it.

See Snackdad's post on the other thread. 'nuff said.

vantexan

I'd love to, but you'd have 34,489 excuses for not doing it and probably a few dozen more explaining why what's suggested can't be done, even by the people who do it.

Are you one of those guys who stands next to the additional hours sign up sheet that you never sign when you complain about money? Or are you one of those guys who had all the answers but didn't want to go into management in order to implement them and get paid more money for it?

Uh-huh...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
See Snackdad's post on the other thread. 'nuff said.

Go tell him that if his business model is better than the one that's currently in place, Memphis is waiting. Corner office, great view. They'd probably name a wing of the building after him if he'd like.

bbsam

Staff member
August 16th, 2012

Contractor Ambassador national meeting in Indianapolis with 5 vice presidents of Ground.

STFXG

Switching to a new barcode at ground. Is express doing the same? As early as january 2013. Could be a sign...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Uh-huh...

Dano has been sent back to re-education camp. As part of the panda deal, China has agreed to accept FedEx employees in need of "re-commitment to the ideals of the people" and train FedEx personnel in the ways of employee management.

Upon his return, Dano will be much better at propaganda, an improved shoe-shiner, and all-around better lackey and flak for FedEx.