How can ups pay these high wages?

MrBates

Still don’t understand how ups still able to be profitable with these high wages ? Did the company secretly increase their prices?
UPS's business model dictates that we get paid upfront even before the job is even done. It's quite a racket when you think about it. At the end of the day the company pulls in a lot of dough and it's just a matter of how much profit they will keep. Plenty of profit left.

PoirotAtUPS

300 pkgs on the car at around $10 profit is $3000
$85 an hour for the driver at 9 hours is $765
Leaving $2235 for gas, insurance, feeders, management, part timers, car washers, trash, water, ice machines & the CEO
If you look at the annual report and divide the numbers - there’s no where near $10 in profit per package. Contractors for FedEx and Amazon only pay about half what UPS pays drivers - a little better in some areas but no where near UPS pay.

Brownwind

Close, they're five speeds. Loudest, slowest diesels in existence. The one with the bad turbo only goes 60 mph.
Those are only twenty years or so old. The 130/140 series? International with the hurst shifts.

I had a p700 with a 600 number in the early 2000’s. Just before I went to my sprinter but prior to my pickup high top.
(Sorry about the confusion in this post)

DriverNerd

Those are only twenty years or so old. The 130/140 series? International with the hurst shifts.

I had a p700 with a 600 number in the early 2000’s. Just before I went to my sprinter but prior to my pickup high top.
(Sorry about the confusion in this post)
Our 130 series 12 cubes are 1997 builds. Yeah, not quite 30 but a lot older than 15.

JL 0513

Go ship something at the ups store and will see why.

People who haven't shipped anything before would be shocked. Recently I wanted to return an order that isn't Amazon which means paying for the return yourself. Went to UPS.com to buy a label and it was around $35 for a ground shipment for a 10"X 5" box under 5 lbs. The item I was returning was about $50. Needless to say I just kept the item I didn't even need. Likely a high percentage of shipments cost more to ship than the value of the item. It's only business account discounts that makes it worthwhile.

JustDeliverIt

Slightly off topic - Anyone else hear anything about letter boxes being pulled? I have two on my route that are supposedly being pulled at the end of February.
Seems silly to me.

Heard the same thing here. I don’t have a box on my route it the ones around me do. Drivers were told they’re being removed next month.

Nah
Last fall Had a major update to letterbox runs with approximately 60% of them being pulled. Company decided it was not cost-effective.
They were a pain in the ass to pickup anyway. I hated the fact there was no 30 minute window. If it says 17:45 you better not stop complete before 17:45.