how come i only make $10.50

Discussion in 'UPS Freight' started by Indy135, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Indy135

Indy135 New Member

as a casual dockworker (union) out of indianapolis, but u people are saying dockworkers start at $12-$15 /hr?

not complaining just curious

also how long til i get my first raise

2. evilleace

evilleace Member

How come I only make $8.50?

3. Indy135

Indy135 New Member

cuz u prolly work for ground, not freight

ground workers usually starat out makin less then freight, but if u work your way up to be a parcel driver u will make more then freight drivers

4. ScrewedUP

ScrewedUP New Member

If you got hired under Overnite you would make more money. UPS doesn't pay :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: to start out

5. markus_asraelius

markus_asraelius New Member

Yeah, I just got hired on with the UPS Freight Call Center and I'm making $11 per hour now. Not too bad. It's not easy work though, but I'll live through it. :happy2:

6. quest01

quest01 New Member

I understand this is a UPS dockworker position but the Fedex part time dockworker position I recently did a drug test for is $12.50 an hour.

7. Loufan

Loufan New Member

2 years as a loader at ups 10.89 an hour.

8. Package_Donkey14

Package_Donkey14 milk was a bad choice

8.5 years PT and I make 14.74.... Doesn't seem right

9. kilroywashere

kilroywashere New Member

I make 10.50 an hour I'm part time dock worker in New Jersey.
    I was told if i don't join the union I cant work there, The union takes $24. Plus I have to pay an intro fee of $300. Talk about not right.
    I keep wondering what the union does for me... have not seen or heard from anyone in the union...

K

10. Brown287

Brown287 Im not the Mail Man!

Part-time sucks! I would imagine though that the vast majority of us are not, or were not here for that a lone. I was part-time for 3 1/2 years and I hated it from the beginning. With that said, full-time is great and have loved every second of it. So what I'm saying is that part time is just a means to an end! So think positively and be patient your time will come too one day.

11. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

What the union does for ? Try health insurance, pension, good pay once your in for a while, job sercurity, etc. Don't worry they don't take the whole $300 out at once.

12. Mr Jingles

Mr Jingles Rat out of a cage

Union really does not do much for parttimers just by the nature of the job. The union, in closed shop states, essentially extorts money from parttimers to subsidize fulltimers.

If you stay on long enough to go full time then you will get the benefit of all those years of paying union dues as a parttimer for nothing.

In right to work states, parttimers don't belong to the union unless they are tricked into joining. Most fulltimers do because they get the benefit of union representation.

13. hyena

hyena I shut down BC

Vacation weeks are a nice perk too. I dont know to many other jobs that gives you what UPS does. The benifits, and dont forget the discounts through Upsers. I hate some of the decisions this company makes but they really do give us alot. They can be hard to work for and it sucks being partime but I just think of what ill gain once im full time. For me its worth the bs and the wait!

14. Tired Driver

Tired Driver Sisyphus had it easy.

benifits are a part of your salary. You have earn every one of them.

15. FreightKicker

FreightKicker FreightKicker

I enjoy my Job, my pay and my UNION! I bust my :surprised:, at the end of the day I'm great full I have a job to go to. Think longevity... not the here and now. One day you will look back to the 10.50hr and smile, while you carry your check to the bank. :greedy:

16. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

The part timers could really set the bar if they would get involved and all vote.

17. billFREAKINmurray

billFREAKINmurray It's super effective!

11.07/hr working ground local (night) sort for 3 years.

18. klein

klein Für Meno :)

Seems you should get into the pizza business :

Job Advertisement

Job Search Safety Advice

E-mail this Job
    Job Number: 4893143
    Title: Food counter attendant (NOC: 6641)
    Terms of Employment:
    Permanent, Full Time
    Salary: $15.00 Hourly for 44 hours per week
    Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
    Skill Requirements:

Education: Some high school

Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.): Not required

Experience: N/A

Languages: Speak English, Read English, Write English

Counter Attendant and Food Preparer Skills: Take customers' orders, Prepare, heat and finish simple food items, Serve customers at counters or buffet tables, Use manual and electrical appliances to clean, peel, slice and trim foodstuffs, Portion and wrap foods, Package take-out food, Stock refrigerators and salad bars, Keep records of the quantities of food used

Kitchen Helping Skills: Receive, unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, freezers, cupboards and other storage areas

Bussing Skills: Load buspans and trays

Employer: 544562 Alberta Ltd.o/a COSMOS PIZZA

19. pickup

pickup Well-Known Member

Why don't you apply , Klein?