How do you force UPS to pay double overtime for over 9 1/2?

BCFan

We have a driver in my building who made over $100,000 last year by filing grievances on everything he sees. This includes going over 9.5, people working off the clock, and supervisors doing hourly work. I only heard about this last week and was amazed.:w00t:
LOL guy in my building too.....ME!!!!! BC

H

hseofpayne

If I understand, you are working over 9.5 hours per day, but you didn't say how many hours you were over/under allowed. How many planned hours are you dispatched with?
It's funny, when I get my check stub, it lists my regular hours, my overtime hours, but not one damn thing about over/under allowed!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If I understand, you are working over 9.5 hours per day, but you didn't say how many hours you were over/under allowed. How many planned hours are you dispatched with?

What you are asking is irrelevant. For a grievance of this nature to make it to a panel or arbitration decision it will have to be heard at the local level were the facts will be presented and the union rep will decide if the case is sufficient to move forward with. If management exposes the grievant as a slacker, I doubt the union will proceed with the case. Fact of the matter is the contract makes no mention of terms like planned day, over allowed, dispatch. For good reason, as these numbers are skewed, manipulated, and derived by management to reflect whatever they please. These numbers are not and will never be recognized by the union. So for the purposes of this forum I am going to assume the member who submitted this post is on the up and up. I know the allowances in my building aren't.

Personally I find it more effective to use these allowances to motivate management to see things my way. What I do is this. When I'm dispatched reasonably I bring it in scratch or better. When I'm over dispatched, by my standards, I run an hour or more over and make as much noise as I can along the way. In other words by taking care of my dispatch they are easing their own day. I am often asked what time I get off work. My standard response is I either get off at 5:30 or 8:00.

It's just a game. Be a player.

Braveheart

You got me, anyone who ever files one here, drops it when they promise to back off. In our center the union doesnt like to enforce it, because we all run an hour late, since the 5.8 seconds per pkg thing which gave all of us 30 more stops. So the standard answer is "we only gave you 8.5 work, it just took you too long to do it" , hence we would lose the grievances I guess?
I run over every day and I got all my 9.5's paid last year. It takes months but you will get paid. Now it is triple time.

You have to file on the first one as it is just a warning to the company and will not be paid. Then file every week to protect yourself about oh you only filed once every 2-3 months. Even if it is only 9 3/4, 10, 9 3/4. They try to sweet talk you out of those to avoid the legit constant over 9.5 grievances.

I had a buddy only file on the really bad weeks, 10, 11, 11,10 etc etc.

They were all months apart so they said it was not a repeat problem. He said I did not file on the minor weeks well now he files every time.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We had 2 drivers here who's 9.5 grievances were to go to national last week. One was mine. They settled before panel on a national settlement. I will be getting pay, but who knows when. After 10 days I will file on not getting paid and start accrueing penalties. The company is so predictable!:happy2: