How does educational transfer work?

Wizthekid

Like what do you have to show as proof that you want to transfer locations? Also when transferred to new location, is pay rate kept that same as well as senority? Are there new initiation fees? Will I be working in any different area and shift?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Like what do you have to show as proof that you want to transfer locations? Also when transferred to new location, is pay rate kept that same as well as senority? Are there new initiation fees? Will I be working in any different area and shift?
Yeah good luck with that.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

You need to provide proof that you are enrolled.

Pay rate does stay the same.

Your seniority gets screwed up though. You maintain your seniority for vacation. But if you bid FT I'm pretty sure your first date of employment at that center is what they use. We had a guy who has been with the company 7 years, but transferred and lost a bid because he only had a year at the center.

Shift all depends on need and what shifts they have. The guy I mentioned before worked twilight, but we don't have a twilight sort. So he moved to preload and then switched to my sort.

Brownpride816

I had been trying to transfer for the past 3 years now, i youre part time , its pretty much what "Shannonkuch" said. if you're FULL time, its impossible. unless you quit, and start over from part time at the location you want to go to.

Inthegame

First you need to never start a question with the word "like".

Overpaid Union Thug

As far as the documentation is concerned there is nothing in the contract. Unfortunately it depends on the HR that runs your area. I don't think it's right that they require anything other than an acceptance letter to the college but that is usually the minimal requirement for most HRs. All I was required to show was an acceptance letter. Pay and vacations don't change but you definitely do drop to the bottom of the new building's seniority list.

To be honest it is all bull:censored2:. A transfer should be allowed regardless of college ambitions. And without loss of seniority. Short of someone transferring to a region/local that has a different pension a transfer should only be as complicated as the company or our union wants to make it. And THAT is what's happening. Yet, a transfer works flawlessly at other companies. Including our competition.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
As far as the documentation is concerned there is nothing in the contract. Unfortunately it depends on the HR that runs your area. I don't think it's right that they require anything other than an acceptance letter to the college but that is usually the minimal requirement for most HRs. All I was required to show was an acceptance letter. Pay and vacations don't change but you definitely do drop to the bottom of the new building's seniority list.

To be honest it is all bull:censored2:. A transfer should be allowed regardless of college ambitions. And without loss of seniority. Short of someone transferring to a region/local that has a different pension a transfer should only be as complicated as the company or our union wants to make it. And THAT is what's happening. Yet, a transfer works flawlessly at other companies. Including our competition.

So picture this: you've worked 10 years to get that full time spot and I have been driving for ten years and one day . . .

It's in sight. Someone is going to retire and you're gonna be full time!

Congratulations!!!!!

Oh, wait. There's a hiccup. Someone with more seniority wants to transfer in. Me. Thanks for the spot.

Too bad son, maybe next year.

The logistics for transfers would be mind numbing even for a company like ups.

No one who lives in choice places would ever get to go full time, and crap places like Boston wouldn't ever be able to keep experienced drivers.

Also please explain to me how you can compare a part time driving force the likes of FedEx to us?

Overpaid Union Thug

So picture this: you've worked 10 years to get that full time spot and I have been driving for ten years and one day . . .

Congratulations!!!!!

Oh, wait. There's a hiccup. Someone with more seniority wants to transfer in. Me. Thanks for the spot.

In all my years at UPS I've only ever heard seniority referred to as a hiccup from one group of people....MANAGEMENT. Seniority should be the key issue here. And no one would be stuck anywhere for 10 years if transferring or local wide bids were allowed. That is a major, but simple, factor you are missing here.

No one who lives in choice places would ever get to go full time, and crap places like Boston wouldn't ever be able to keep experienced drivers.

There would be nothing mind numbing about it. It's already done but on a smaller scale. Some regions/locals already allow it without having to transfer for education purposes. Some allow local wide bids which is essentially a transfer. With the exception of transferring from one pension plan to another there is no logical reason why someone shouldn't be able to transfer that same way across the country. It's not rocket science. And what is a "choice place"? How is that relevant?

Also please explain to me how you can compare a part time driving force the likes of FedEx to us?

Two things first:

A) FedEx is not strictly a part-time driving force as you claim. They have full-time drivers.

B) Because they allow transfers and it works.

If FedEx can recognize company seniority then you'd think a union would too. But I don't think you, or the like minded, can see past that due to the selfish desire to protect the status quo of your own building. If transfers and local wide bids can work in some areas then it should be allowed in all. Seniority should count everywhere and for everyone. Not just where it benefits you at the time.

And yes....I've had someone transfer in and take a couple of jobs that I could have gotten had they stayed away. Once in the military and another time in a factory I was working in. But they had more company seniority at the factory and more rank in the military so I got over it.

Ronnielives

Congratulations!!!!!

Ronnielives

I don’t understand what is wrong with Letting some 1 transfer as long as there building seniority stars over that way they can’t bump any 1, fed ex seems do have thetransfer policy thing correct and so does Walmart . and almost every other company in the world.

Last edited:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
usually

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I think we should be able to transfer like other companies. Here's the thing that people are overlooking, people argue about how seniority would screw a person who would be bumped by a transfer. It doesn't work that way now. If you do an educational transfer, only your seniority for pay and vacation carry over. Your building seniority gets reset so you loose bidding power. It could still work that way if we allowed non educational transfers and I'd be fine with that. Stop out of the box critics. With that being said I think we should be able to transfer, just as so many other companies do, so long as there's an available position in the area you prefer to go.