How easy is it to get fired?

I am a new hire, and unfortunately, because of when I started, I hit the freeze on getting my 30 days. This means, I have a few months without any kind of security during peak season.

I've only been at UPS for about a week, and today was my first day fully on the floor. (Last week was mostly safety training). I'm still learning to navigate the hub without getting lost. I spent last week loading up the package cars. Today, I did sorting in two different areas (loading the boxline and working as a flipper on the sort line). I was sent home early (but I was told Monday is the slowest day, and I'm sure I'll make up for it in several weeks when things pick up for the holidays.

Needless to say, I'm not the fastest worker. I am trying to cut myself slack because I AM new, and even though the concepts are easy enough, it might take me a little time to get up to speed with everyone else.

I'm just a little worried that they'll decide that I'm not cut out for the position and decide to let me go. I do enjoy my job- especially after my previous position was such a disaster- and I don't want to screw anything up. Is there anything I can to to improve so I can make sure I keep my job?

DieHardUPSER

They need people for peak. Show up every day and on time. Ask to work doubles over peak if you can. Minimize missorts and work as fast as safely possible. Also, don't steal or lie. If you still get fired then the job was not right for you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I am a new hire, and unfortunately, because of when I started, I hit the freeze on getting my 30 days. This means, I have a few months without any kind of security during peak season.

I've only been at UPS for about a week, and today was my first day fully on the floor. (Last week was mostly safety training). I'm still learning to navigate the hub without getting lost. I spent last week loading up the package cars. Today, I did sorting in two different areas (loading the boxline and working as a flipper on the sort line). I was sent home early (but I was told Monday is the slowest day, and I'm sure I'll make up for it in several weeks when things pick up for the holidays.

Needless to say, I'm not the fastest worker. I am trying to cut myself slack because I AM new, and even though the concepts are easy enough, it might take me a little time to get up to speed with everyone else.

I'm just a little worried that they'll decide that I'm not cut out for the position and decide to let me go. I do enjoy my job- especially after my previous position was such a disaster- and I don't want to screw anything up. Is there anything I can to to improve so I can make sure I keep my job?

Bring Donuts

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Most everyone goes thru a learning curve when starting a new job. Management may ride you to get you to move faster cause you're currently killing their numbers. Improve daily, come to work when you're supposed to. No missing work if possible. Show that you are eager to learn different stuff. You will be ok.

So, there's good news and bad news.

Yesterday was my first full day loading. Sure, I definitely wasn't as fast as I need to be, but I know a lot of that comes with time. I'm still trying to remember all of the number locations on the trucks. I'm getting better, but I still have to stop momentarily to count to figure out where to put the packages.

Apparently, I only had 3 misloads. I'm still not 100% sure what that means. Wrong truck? Wrong spot on the truck? However, I got the impression that whatever it means exactly, I did a pretty good job for a new hire. (My preload supervisor told me that there were veteran employees who had 13 misloads; he also said that the full-time supervisors were impressed.)

Now for the bad news.

I've always had some flexibility issues. Growing up, I could never reach the end of the box during those physical fitness "sit and reach" tests. Apparently, there's a degree of flexibility required to do a full squat (as needed to lift a package off the ground).

I don't have that kind of flexibility. Unknowingly (I was bending my legs after all), I've been lifting with my back. I feel everything in my legs, so I really had no idea. Unfortunately, when I try to focus on not bending over, I lose my balance.

I was sent home early today, and I'm pretty sure I no longer have a job which means I'm really screwed because I NEED to be working.

Returntosender

FYI: You have wait a year for medical benefits.

Most new hire employees quit within 60 days, the type of work with no benefits is not worth it to them.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
What the hell is wrong with people nowadays? "How easy it to get fired?" I always knew how to get fired, just couldn't figure out how to NOT get fired. Forget making America great again or wiping your email servers, the next best presidential slogan is going to be:

"I don't have that kind of flexibility, when I try to focus on not bending over, I lose my balance."

That right there is pure gold, run with it! Forget UPS and concentrate on running for president!

I was trying to illustrate that my reason for potentially losing my job had nothing to do with will or knowledge. Speed will come in time as I adjust to the job. My issue is a physical limitation that I was unaware I had.

My title was a bit "clickbait." I certainly don't WANT to get fired. If I did, I would just shut off my 3:00 AM alarm and go back to sleep. I was asking more to find out if UPS is the kind of company that fires for minor things, or if they are generally patient while employees are learning/adjusting to the position. I've worked at jobs where you can get written up/fired within the first few days for not following company policies that you were never taught. I've also worked at jobs where you pretty much have to come to work completely high or intoxicated and steal from the company to get fired. (Of course, a simple no-call, no-show.. or two or three...also works). I don't know where UPS is on that scale. Is it the kind of company that focuses more on the effort and improvement of new hires during training, or do they expect their employees to be up to the same level as veteran employees?

If it's more of the former, then I'm ok because I KNOW that the speed comes in time. Even at another job that required physical activity and speed, I was a bit slower to start. I was able to work on my own without a trainer after a day because I understood the job well enough. However, navigating the place, remembering aisles and product locations, and speed with bagging (I was a personal shopper at a grocery store) took a bit more time/adjustment. It wasn't long before I was one of the fastest shoppers in my department- self-trained in most administrative duties.

But if I was judged on speed during my first few days, I would have been fired for sure.

ReturntoSender: Thanks to ObamaCare, I'm still ok on the medical benefits front. I'm 25, so I'm still on my parents' insurance. Of course, assuming I'm not fired, I still have an issue. I turn 26 almost exactly 3 months before I hit my 1 year anniversary with UPS.

haller

It sounds like it's not for you, not because of your limitation. Well ok partially it. You also mentioned you're lost most of the time. If you keep rounding your lower back, your going to hurt some discs and be really :censored2:ed. It's up to you what you want to do.

Last edited: