How long has UPS had cover drivers?

Overpaid Union Thug

Pretty great way to skip the ridiculous progression. All of the newer FT drivers I know were cover drivers and started FT at 85% of Top rate.
We don't skip the progression per say. We do get the regular contract raises but still have to wait for that big bump up to top rate. I remember getting something like a $6/hr raise at progression. Or maybe it was more. I can't remember now.

undies

I think one big difference is from east coast to west coast is, because we have part time cover drivers we do not hire seasonal drivers. Again, at least here in lower California.
We had 3 seasonal drivers this past peak season...off the street!

DOK

Since late '80s in our local. They're considered part time but make the same hourly pay as a FT driver, in a 50 car center there are about 12-15 of these cover drivers. Most work everyday of the year with comps, call offs, vaca, sick etc.

PT Car Washer

Since late '80s in our local. They're considered part time but make the same hourly pay as a FT driver, in a 50 car center there are about 12-15 of these cover drivers. Most work everyday of the year with comps, call offs, vaca, sick etc.
Most likely work more hours a year then FT drivers yet are classified PT. Why is that allowed?

FTBrown

Here in NY, local 177 doesn't use PTers. You don't get to qualify unless there is a FT position. Makes you FT cover meaning you are full time without a bid route. Local 294, PTers can qualify to be a PT cover driver. They start at around $19/hr with a part time progression. On a day they don't drive,they can bump back in to preload or local sort. When there is a FT opening it is filled by seniority through the cover driver list where their FT progression starts.