How Many live checks do you have?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I have direct deposit but have the stub given to me every week by my sup because I've had so many issues with my paychecks being wrong and they don't like using the printout from upsers.com for some reason...so sad. By this time I really thought most people wouldn't get a paper copy but every thursday morning before PCM the sups walk around with stacks of checks for everyone. Old school in my center apparently.

A few years ago UPS assumed many of us didn't realize their was an option to receive an electronic stub, so it automatically set that as the default in UPSers, giving ample warning to change it or request management to change it if we preferred to receive a paper stub. Well, nobody listened and an uproar ensued. The next week, all was fixed ... and the paychecks once again piled up in the garbage can at the beginning of the sort, after they were glanced at. We were told at a PCM last fall that only about a dozen (out of 350ish) Preloaders had opted out of paper stubs, and were once again reminded of this option.

And they're no longer allowed to pass out checks on Thursday here. Corporate had a hissy fit about it last year, surprised it's still being done elsewhere.

PT Car Washer

A few years ago UPS assumed many of us didn't realize their was an option to receive an electronic stub, so it automatically set that as the default in UPSers, giving ample warning to change it or request management to change it if we preferred to receive a paper stub. Well, nobody listened and an uproar ensued. The next week, all was fixed ... and the paychecks once again piled up in the garbage can at the beginning of the sort, after they were glanced at. We were told at a PCM last fall that only about a dozen (out of 350ish) Preloaders had opted out of paper stubs, and were once again reminded of this option.

And they're no longer allowed to pass out checks on Thursday here. Corporate had a hissy fit about it last year, surprised it's still being done elsewhere.
In my ctr. we all get are checks Thursday afternoon/ evening. And yes I have always received a live check.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
image.jpg
Got a whole pile of dead ones from 2013 so far, do those count?
image.jpg

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I have one from 1998 in the amount of 49 cents that was never cashed. Was the result of a grievance filed against my on car at the time for changing my punch out time to show me under 9.5 hours.

brownboxman

Sorry I think it is plain silly to play games with hard earned money, but it is your money. I have had direct deposit as long as they offered it!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Nothing personal but I would be very hesitant to hire you as a financial planner.
I just toss them in a pile on my kitchen counter as they are direct deposited. I like to have a paper statement of my check as I've often had issues accessing UPSers to view checks, among other things.

Nimnim

The Nim
I live literally within a stones throw of my financial institution. I always go run errands on Saturday morning and it's a great first stop for me. So the most live checks I've ever had was 2, one for normal pay one for vacation. I always save the vacation one for the Saturday ending my vacation, pick up the check I would have gotten the Friday I was on vacation and deposit that the following Saturday since I wouldn't have one the Friday after my vacation. It helps to keep me from overspending because I see an unusually large balance because of 2 checks at once.

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The wife used to ask me what my check total was each week. Then she discovered online banking. Now she sees it in the checkbook balance before I get home Thurs. night.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The wife used to ask me what my check total was each week. Then she discovered online banking. Now she sees it in the checkbook balance before I get home Thurs. night.

Why don't you give her your upsers login info so she can update the balance Thursday morning?

I thought you usually got home before her.

TednAZ

I've been doing it for years.I'm old school lol.Haven't quite got with the direct deposit thing yet.

Something strange happened to me once.

Payroll sent me a letter saying "Our records indicate that you have not cashed your employee check described below"

I normally make sure I cash my checks before the expire, so I was puzzled about the whole thing.

Went to UPSERS and looked in payroll and found the check they were indicating I had not cashed.Come to find out, it was a stop payment check.My supervisor lost my check that week, so they had to send me a replacement out.I don't know if my supervisor forgot to cancel the lost check when he sent my new one out? I did cash the replacement check, but then I get that letter in the mail a few months later with Payroll saying they have no record of me cashing the check?

Why would Payroll hassle me over not cashing my check when it's a "Stop Payment" check? was it a glitch in the system maybe?

Like I said, I went to UPSERS and looked over the check they claim to have no record of me cashing.At the bottom of the stub it read "A/R-STOP PAY" and it had the amount followed by a - minus sign.

How does payroll expect me to cash a uncashable check? could it have been a glitch...UPS trying to give me free money lol?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Open a separate savings account that is not linked to any account you use on a regular basis and account that will cause you to have to actually go to the bank to withdraw money. NOT online or with an ATM card. Have the checks direct deposited into that account. You will still be saving and not likely to spend it frivolously because you have created extra steps for yourself to be able to access the money and you will think twice before doing that. JMHO

Inflation is at what.... 1.7%, how much are savings accounts earning you? Savings accounts are not a way of saving anything, they lose money to inflation. Put that money to work.