How much heat do you guys get when you call in??

IDoLessWorkThanMost

One time booked off sick because I had a terrible cold - couldn't hear or talk because of a raw strep throat and congestion.

Woke up at 3am after 12 hours sleep or whatever, knew right away I wasn't going to work when I stood up from bed...called up to book off, but my voice wouldn't work. I tried to say something and nothing but that ahhh sound. I think "sick" was audible, don't know....was an awkward moment :knockedout: no heat on that one !

JustTired

free at last.......
First you call the office to say that you are booking off, and they transfer you to what ever mgt person is on duty so you can fully explain why .
Many times I have hang up .
The rules are clear ...you call in & thats it.
When I want to return to work....I just call the office & say that I'm booking back on.

If I needed time off (whether sick or not), I would just call and take myself "out of service". No explanation needed or given. That's the way it should be. Just remember to call yourself "back in service" or you might be sent home when you do show back up for work.

You're not obligated to give them a detailed description of your symptoms or your plans for the day. Your obligation is to give them a fair amount of notice so they can cover your job.

Of course, your situation may vary depending on your attendance record. Heck, with the hours I was getting at the end...I would have taken a day off per week if I could have. I don't have that problem anymore and I'll be darned if all that O/T didn't come in handy after all.:wink2:

code5

Our center is extremely reasonable allowing employees days off if need be.

The word "sick" is very misleading however.

If you have things to do, such as parent-teacher interviews for example, calling in sick twice a month don't cut it after a while and you start to get hassled.

I am rarely sick, but do take some days off for things usually because of my kids being sick or no childcare. I simply tell it like it is, then if I am sick there are no questions asked.

Another thing that helps is calling in your replacement early to avoid shortstaffing if possible. Calling in right when you are supposed to start while everyone is wondering where you are doesn't help.

Big Babooba

For the most part I haven't had any hassles calling in sick except for one center manager. He always wanted to know our symptoms when we called in. One day I got very graphic (and gross) when I called in. He never bothered me after that.

over9five

Staff member
They only give the BS over the phone to people who they think they can intimidate! They DO have success with this, so who can blame them for trying? It's their job to cover the routes.

Laugh it off and hang up!

W

westsideworma

First you call the office to say that you are booking off, and they transfer you to what ever mgt person is on duty so you can fully explain why .
Many times I have hang up .
The rules are clear ...you call in & thats it.
When I want to return to work....I just call the office & say that I'm booking back on.

we have an answering machine at worma, I would just call and say I'm booking off when I was a loader. The only time I did it was when I needed bloodwork before surgery early in the morning. I got BS for it (you have the heaviest set of cars, blah blah blah), after that, I didn't care, if I needed the day off I took it. They asked what I was sick with (mind you I had put in for the day anyways so they knew I was having lab work done) and I asked if he was a doctor, you can see where this is going, needless to say I hung up.

As a supe the only day I missed was when the flu was going around. It seemed like every supe got it. I didn't get any flak for it as I'm always there early and ready to go. Its odd, I figured I'd have got more crap for calling in as a supe than when I was a loader.

U(s)PS Guy

I'm a young guy (only 22). In the four years I've been working after high school, just under 2 years with UPS, I have only called off work 3 times and was sent home once. Every time I called in I was so sick I had to go to the hospital, and when I was sent home I again went to the hospital. That time I was sent home was for an injury though, not illness.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I had to call in sick once because I sliced the bottom of my foot open. Just to make sure my center manager believed me, I took a picture of the bloody mess with my camera phone and e-mailed it to her at work. :devil3:I also offered to come in and drive if they gave me a helper. I got no grief over that one.

upsgrunt

In my 22 years, I've called in twice; and once was because my wife and four kids were all throwing up and I had no other options. When I came back the next day, my route magically became a training route and I was off it for 6 weeks. I said, straight to the center manager's face, don't you think it is blatant what you are doing, just because you are pissed that I called in? His repy--whaaaat? I would never do that! Even a part time preload supe confirmed it to me, but I never did anything about it because the supe is my friend and the center manager would have had his job if he backed me.
Right?..........no, but doesn't it just sound like UPS?

PackageDonkey

Box Delivery Man
Ive called in once in my 3 years as a driver. That one time was on our "peak" day, Dec 21st I think. It was a Friday. Spent all night before throwing up. Boy, let me tell ya, that went over well. Yeesh!

browniehound

Its funny, under one center manager from 2000-2004 I called in sick 2 times and each time I was given a hard time. Out of the 25 sick days I was given during this time period, I used 2. I would hear stuff like "C'mon, you can't do this to me today!" or "We are really hurting, please come in" from the center manager. Once I call I'm not backing out. If I can't make it to work, I can't make it. I don't call out to go to the amuesment park.

We got a new center manager in 2005 and I called out 3 times in the first 3 months of the year for various reasons and never heard a word about it after I said the magic words.

leastbest

LeastBest
Whenever I call in I never explain. I tell them I won't be in and if they ask I tell them it's personal. If they press I tell them the call isn't for permission, it is a courtesy and that I will call back the next day to let them know if I will be in.

Randy
www.leastbest.com

Tony31yrs

It all depends on the supe. I never used to call in much because I'd rather save the days and schedule a whole week off in the fall. It worked out good for them and for me. Once, when I called in sick because I actually needed to do something that couldn't be done after 7 pm, my supe did everything he could to try and get me to come in because he needed me so bad. I would never come in once I called because then they always gave you a hard time if you gave in. The next day I found out that the driver was an extra that they were going to send home and he knew my route almost as well as I did. I was so ticked off that they could never convince me to come in even if I was just going to sit home.