How Much is Your Car Payment?

Cementups

Box Monkey
my car was bought 14 years ago. I forget what a car payment is lol.
But seriously, I pay for my wife’s car still and I just try to keep my $500/month payment area. But I could probably afford up to $1k/mo th if I needed.
The most important thing is buying the vehicle you NEED, not the vehicle you WANT. What’s going to serve you and your family the best for the money. Like do you need a fully loaded F250 diesel if you never tow anything and live in an apartment? (Just an example of the stupidity I’ve seen)

Cementups

Box Monkey
A vehicle is a depreciating asset.
Not anymore. Have you seen the prices lately of new cars? Almost as much as buying new. And the prices they pay for trade ins anymore is ridiculous.

I was trying to buy a 2015 Kia Forte with 57k on it from a family friend. Blue book was $5500 max. So instead of passing on a deal to family they went to Carvana to get an estimate. Carvana told them they would give them $9k. They asked me what I thought about it. I asked them why they left Carvana when they offered $9k for a $5k car 🤦🏼‍♂️

Thebrownblob

Not anymore. Have you seen the prices lately of new cars? Almost as much as buying new. And the prices they pay for trade ins anymore is ridiculous.

I was trying to buy a 2015 Kia Forte with 57k on it from a family friend. Blue book was $5500 max. So instead of passing on a deal to family they went to Carvana to get an estimate. Carvana told them they would give them $9k. They asked me what I thought about it. I asked them why they left Carvana when they offered $9k for a $5k car 🤦🏼‍♂️
And that’s exactly why Carvana is on the brink of insolvency. Car prices are artificially high right now. It’s a game of musical chairs, and someone is going to be left, holding the bag with no place to sit. I personally can’t wait I will make a lot of money buying up these cars that get repoed. I am a small investor in my uncles car business.

ThePackageDeli

I don't know what it is about new car fever. But, even when you love your paid-for car, sometimes you still have the desire to buy something new knowing full well it's not a smart financial move.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I don't know what it is about new car fever. But, even when you love your paid-for car, sometimes you still have the desire to buy something new knowing full well it's not a smart financial move.
I've seen it time and time again. Joe gets a new shiny car and all the coworkers think they need a new car. I feel it...but you have to fight it.

2010 Mazda CX-9. 189k miles on it. Fits all three kids no trouble. Bluetooth, heated and memory seats. AWD, trailer hitch, so I don't need a pickup, just hook up the trailer. I literally only drive it to and from UPS. Paid cash, hope to have it for many more years. Would I like a new car? Sure, but paid off is nice...
Wife has a Grand Caravan. Not great. No. Gets the job done, is reliable and is paid off. Zero $ in car payments. Sold 3 motorcycles in the last 5 years, and our camper.
We are positioning ourselves to be free if (and when) the bottom drops. We just keep plugging.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I always joke that you can tell when someone made top rate because there’s a new car in the parking lot.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I always joke that you can tell when someone made top rate because there’s a new car in the parking lot.
One of our recent top rated drivers just showed up with a new Outback Onyx Edition. I know the dude has money issues...so I chat with him about it...,"What kind of payment they get you for?"
Expecting like 500 a month...he replied "$800". I almost cried. Come on dude!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Last car my $19k trade-in covered most of it then I wrote a check for the few thousand remaining. :censored2: car payments. If you're specifically into cars as your main hobby I can understand splurging, it's just the cost of the hobby. Otherwise, you're just pissing your money away and I haven't really been a car guy in fourteen years. Anymore I barely put a thousand miles a year on my personal car so it would be an even bigger waste.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
One of our recent top rated drivers just showed up with a new Outback Onyx Edition. I know the dude has money issues...so I chat with him about it...,"What kind of payment they get you for?"
Expecting like 500 a month...he replied "$800". I almost cried. Come on dude!
Seen it many times. And it always seems it’s the ones with money and credit problems.