How Much is Your Car Payment?

I'll have to ask him! It's funny because the driver that loads across from him maxes out his 401k and drives a bare bones 2015 Dodge Ram. Paid cash for it! Completely different mindsets
You don't have to go from one extreme to the other.
You just have to live within your means and put a little extra weight every week
You still have to have life a little bit too

rod

Retired 22 years
Let some other sorry sap take the $10,000 loss as he drives it off the car lot.
Sadly most used cars you look at now days have 150,000 + miles on them-- and they still want big bucks for them. I always buy new and enjoy a few years of bumper to bumper warrantee and piece of mind. Its only money. We seem to get a new vehicle about every 4 or 5 years. Right now the oldest thing we have is my 2017 Harley.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
I've seen it time and time again. Joe gets a new shiny car and all the coworkers think they need a new car. I feel it...but you have to fight it.

2010 Mazda CX-9. 189k miles on it. Fits all three kids no trouble. Bluetooth, heated and memory seats. AWD, trailer hitch, so I don't need a pickup, just hook up the trailer. I literally only drive it to and from UPS. Paid cash, hope to have it for many more years. Would I like a new car? Sure, but paid off is nice...
Wife has a Grand Caravan. Not great. No. Gets the job done, is reliable and is paid off. Zero $ in car payments. Sold 3 motorcycles in the last 5 years, and our camper.
We are positioning ourselves to be free if (and when) the bottom drops. We just keep plugging.
Dump the crap Dodgsubishi and get a Marquis/Vic. 500k, minus a new plastic intake manifold

Thebrownblob

Sadly most used cars you look at now days have 150,000 + miles on them-- and they still want big bucks for them. I always buy new and enjoy a few years of bumper to bumper warrantee and piece of mind. Its only money. We seem to get a new vehicle about every 4 or 5 years. Right now the oldest thing we have is my 2017 Harley.
I will admit it’s a lot more difficult to find a good used vehicle right now. It can still be done and I do have a leg up because I have access to dealer auctions but even there it’s not like it used to be.

rod

Retired 22 years
I will admit it’s a lot more difficult to find a good used vehicle right now. It can still be done and I do have a leg up because I have access to dealer auctions but even there it’s not like it used to be.
I would think dealer auctions would be even worse. Aren't dealer auctions for vehicles that were traded to a dealer that they couldn't sell?

JL 0513

Average new vehicle passed $48,000 this year. I think most people who haven't shopped in a few years would be shocked.

Financed for 36 months, that's $1,400/mo. More than many older mortgages. Not counting insurance, gas, & maintenance.

Even though used prices are leveling off they are still way too high. Hard to pay a ton of money for a car with 75,000 miles on it that is due for a bunch of maintenance.

Thebrownblob

I would think dealer auctions would be even worse. Aren't dealer auctions for vehicles that were traded to a dealer that they couldn't sell?
Sometimes, some are repo some are nice low miles vehicles that you can get for wholesale. I have bought dozens of them. Never had a problem with any of them. Sometimes I drive them for a while and sell them for thousands more than I bought them.

clean hairy

Not anymore. Have you seen the prices lately of new cars? Almost as much as buying new. And the prices they pay for trade ins anymore is ridiculous.

I was trying to buy a 2015 Kia Forte with 57k on it from a family friend. Blue book was $5500 max. So instead of passing on a deal to family they went to Carvana to get an estimate. Carvana told them they would give them $9k. They asked me what I thought about it. I asked them why they left Carvana when they offered $9k for a $5k car 🤦🏼‍♂️
As long as the check clears.
Some folks have been given basketball checks from Carvana...

Commercial Inside Release

Aren't dealer auctions for vehicles that were traded to a dealer that they couldn't sell?
There are two different auctions... One is run by the dealer or a local contracted auction house, to get rid of any crap they couldn't sell, or if they think it is a liability. These auctions are open to the public.

The dealer auctions he was referring to, were massive vehicle auctions put on by wholesalers working with the manufacturers unloading off-lease vehicles, car rental companies culling their vehicles near the end of warranty, companies with large fleets for whatever reason. You have to qualify to be there financially, often have to have a dealers license, and may have to buy vehicles in lots for big $$$.

Joe public doesn't need or want to write a check for $300k to buy a dozen base-model Ford Explorers that have about 5,000 miles of warranty left. Nor would the auctioneer take his check.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Average new vehicle passed $48,000 this year. I think most people who haven't shopped in a few years would be shocked.

Financed for 36 months, that's $1,400/mo. More than many older mortgages. Not counting insurance, gas, & maintenance.

Even though used prices are leveling off they are still way too high. Hard to pay a ton of money for a car with 75,000 miles on it that is due for a bunch of maintenance.

I own three Honda Fits, the first one on bought in 2008 I made payments, paid CASH for the others. Just check what a 2017 Honda Fit Sport sells for, I bought it over 3 years ago for 14,500. Today it will sell for 17,500 with 75,000 miles, brand new it was going for 18,000. This car will go over 25 years from my experiences with Hondas, I never got into that status symbol sickness associated with car purchases, just 4 wheels and a cloud of dust. My house is another story!