I need advice on 401K

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Actually your cost of living should be lower upon retirement. I read somewhere that you should plan on replacing 70-80% of your current income. Your house should be paid off and your daily living expenses should be lower. You will also be taxed at a lower rate when you are retired.

Basic economics is prices increase over time. In an ideal world your house should be paid off, but not everyone has that done before they retire. I plan on selling mine before retirement and downsizing but that's just me. I know a few that still retired with a mortgage and were more than fine. It's all in how you plan and prioritized your life.

My financial plan is to assume my pension and SS aren't there when I go. Sadly it probably will be true

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Basic economics is prices increase over time. In an ideal world your house should be paid off, but not everyone has that done before they retire. I plan on selling mine before retirement and downsizing but that's just me. I know a few that still retired with a mortgage and were more than fine. It's all in how you plan and prioritized your life.

My financial plan is to assume my pension and SS aren't there when I go. Sadly it probably will be true

My plan is to have my mortgage paid off just before I retire. I still don't know if I will stay here or sell/rent and move closer to my daughter. I will live off of my pension and not touch my 401k or SS until I have to.

Damondogg

Change it to before tax. If you put in $100.00 a week your take home pay should only be $70.00 less. That's $30.00 free dollars and at the end of the year will help you on taxes. The more you can put into the 401k the more it helps you at tax time. If you put your money in after tax you may pay 25% on your money, and if you put it in pretax you may pay 15% tax on your money when you withdraw it.

I didn't know that. Thanks for your help!

upschuck

I didn't know that. Thanks for your help!
But keep in mind that you pay taxes when you withdraw the money. Pretax, you get tax break now, post tax you get tax break when you withdraw. Is one better than the other, who knows, tax rates go up and down, and is a crapshoot as to which one would come out ahead.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm mostly pre tax with a little post. I don't think my retirement taxes will be higher than while working
It's not even about the taxes for me. It's about knowing I don't have to worry about the taxes.

If laws stay how they are I can spend 100% of what's in my Roth account and not worry about what Uncle Sam wants.

upschuck

It's not even about the taxes for me. It's about knowing I don't have to worry about the taxes.

If laws stay how they are I can spend 100% of what's in my Roth account and not worry about what Uncle Sam wants.
I'd rather have the break now. Doesn't really matter 20% now or later, all equals the same net.