I Refuse to believe that not one has a positive thought about FedEx.

thedownhillEXPRESS

There is nothing wrong with FedEx if you think it's a JOB. But if you want to rely on it as a CAREER, then forget it. A very small percentage are willing, and even a smaller percentage are qualified to advance.(some might say some in management aren't qualified either)

So in short, FedEx offers great JOBS, but very limited Career options.

Unfortunately on the Express side, many were lured in by the prospect of making good money, those days are gone.
hey if you are right out of highschool or college go ahead work for 10 years as a single driver, opt for no health insurance
and you'll make good money, unfortunately I see many 45-50 yr olds(with 10-15 yrs in) who are now stuck, because they can't realistically
start over. On the flip side we have 5-10 crrs who are over 62, who can't leave because they can't afford to... there is something wrong with the system, when you have 25yr employees who still can't retire

And those are the courriers who have at least a decent pension.

There will be a crop of employees in about 10 years that will never be able to retire, and Fedex will risk age discrimination lawsuits if they try and show them the door.

DontThrowPackages

There will be a crop of employees in about 10 years that will never be able to retire, and Fedex will risk age discrimination lawsuits if they try and show them the door.
That's an interesting point you bring up. Imagine the employees that they are unable to force out with take aways and OT cuts. Once these remaining hit 60-67, what is the company going to do with them? If they do try to create bogus LTRs etc, the company truly is risking lawsuits filed as age discrimination. But that's down the road and I don't see express lasting that far into the future anyway.

northbound

Yes for IC they set prices and ISP you negotiate rates. That being said if you can't run a profitable business with those rates no one to blame but yourself. I started with 1 and now operate 5 daily with 9 at peak. Under both IC and now ISP model.

Yeah ok. But you likely aren't paying $700 a week for gas and tolls. And how can you make such assumptions given that much of everything is out of your control such as package volume, stops gas and tolls. Also, it is very hard to find qualified employees you know who will work for $800 a week with no benefits. I would pay more if I could but nearly impossible.

$700/week for gas? Really? Try $1800 gas and $ 1900 diesel right now

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Most of what made FedEx a decent JOB is long gone. OT used to be plentiful, and that was the way you made-up at least some of the disparity with UPS level wages. There is nothing left to make it a CAREER, unless you want to sell your soul to Satan and go into management. Most managers I know are looking for a different career.

Goldilocks

Oh yeah as a positive note... We have Air Conditioning :)

When we were young we use to laugh and say we would probably be wearing Depends on the road. DRA does not factor in a bathroom break and you men have it made, just whip it out and pull out the coke can. On the other hand I almost had to pull over and use a cup. Can you imagine a customer calling in, there is a driver on the side of the road urinating. My bladder is shot, gets worse every year due to holding it during P1 cycle....lol.... So I guess you can consider this a negative

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When we were young we use to laugh and say we would probably be wearing Depends on the road. DRA does not factor in a bathroom break and you men have it made, just whip it out and pull out the coke can. On the other hand I almost had to pull over and use a cup. Can you imagine a customer calling in, there is a driver on the side of the road urinating. My bladder is shot, gets worse every year due to holding it during P1 cycle....lol.... So I guess you can consider this a negative

Are you coding your bathroom stops properly? Code 101 for #1, and Code 102 #2. You have 30 seconds for a Code 101 and 60 seconds for a Code 102. This includes handwashing, squatting, zipping and unzipping etc. Are you using proper wiping and sitting methods? Are you properly using handholds if provided? The first violation of the new UAD Policy (Urination and Defecation) will be an OLCC, followed by an observation session with your manager to ensure proper methods are being utilized. The second violation will be a Warning Letter. The TPU (Toilet Paper Usage) Policy is just about ready for implementation. You may use the 2-square or 4-square method (2 square preferred), and your hand if the station has used up it's monthly Toilet Paper Allotment (TPA). Depends are allowed, but employees will not be compensated for their use. Used Document Sort Bags (UDSB) are available at most locations and will allow you to maintain DRA compliance by on-the-go usage. They may be strapped to your vehicle seat, but must be removed at the end of the shift, or when full. Please refer to your management team for further clarification.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Are you coding your bathroom stops properly? Code 101 for #1, and Code 102 #2. You have 30 seconds for a Code 101 and 60 seconds for a Code 102. This includes handwashing, squatting, zipping and unzipping etc. Are you using proper wiping and sitting methods? Are you properly using handholds if provided? The first violation of the new UAD Policy (Urination and Defecation) will be an OLCC, followed by an observation session with your manager to ensure proper methods are being utilized. The second violation will be a Warning Letter. The TPU (Toilet Paper Usage) Policy is just about ready for implementation. You may use the 2-square or 4-square method (2 square preferred), and your hand if the station has used up it's monthly Toilet Paper Allotment (TPA). Depends are allowed, but employees will not be compensated for their use. Used Document Sort Bags (UDSB) are available at most locations and will allow you to maintain DRA compliance by on-the-go usage. They may be strapped to your vehicle seat, but must be removed at the end of the shift, or when full. Please refer to your management team for further clarification.

With all due respect, I think women may need a code 103 also ....if ya know what I mean.
That code can only be used once per month!!

vantexan

There is nothing wrong with FedEx if you think it's a JOB. But if you want to rely on it as a CAREER, then forget it. A very small percentage are willing, and even a smaller percentage are qualified to advance.(some might say some in management aren't qualified either)

So in short, FedEx offers great JOBS, but very limited Career options.

Unfortunately on the Express side, many were lured in by the prospect of making good money, those days are gone.
hey if you are right out of highschool or college go ahead work for 10 years as a single driver, opt for no health insurance
and you'll make good money, unfortunately I see many 45-50 yr olds(with 10-15 yrs in) who are now stuck, because they can't realistically
start over. On the flip side we have 5-10 crrs who are over 62, who can't leave because they can't afford to... there is something wrong with the system, when you have 25yr employees who still can't retire

Retiring at 52, hasta la vista!

vantexan

To where?

As it turns out my fiancée has about $550 in guaranteed monthly income so we're plotting our escape to Mexico, possibly to Guatemala. My cash balance plan et al will supplement her income until my pension kicks in. She works for a major corporation too and is making a little over $16hr after 14 years. What she describes about her company sounds very familiar.

thedownhillEXPRESS

American Capitalism at its best.
Our working class has to flee to a third world country to afford retirement while the Fred Smiths of the world keep taking more from their employees.

Last edited: