I'm sick and tired of you Drivers

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lets layoff supervisors and hire more hourly workers. a supervisor is an individual who CAN NOT handle the physical and all other aspects of work.The only reason you would go into management is because you cant handle it,and if it came to a street fight you would cry and run away

Anti-SOCKS

Nimnim

The Nim
I suppose I'll climb that "summit" in due time.

Steve is right, I have never worked the preload/reload, but we are talking about checking, scanning and loading one package every ten seconds. I would consider this to be a steady work pace and one that most employees improve upon with experience.

I'm actually going to agree with Upstate here, and while I've not worked preload myself I can see that number as attainable; however, if volume, flow, and other variables make it impossible it's not the loaders fault. We should strive to do our best to service the customer, and we as hourlies should be doing our best to ensure it happens. Still doesn't mean supervisors should be doing our work, but realistic goals should be set for us by them.

abc123

When they come up with these pph numbers that they want, do they account for moving pallets out of the way and moving the extendo and waiting for trucks to pull up and dealing with irregs? Also moving the load stand all over the truck adds a lot of time. If all packages were 10x10x10 and all weighed 5 pounds and were loaded in perfect walls that were no taller than your head, we would all be able to meet they're numbers all the time. But that's just not reality.

On the flip side, I think it is fair for management to expect more from their workers. I just think they need to focus more on how to improve productivity in a less threatening manner. (However, I've never felt harassed about production but I'm sure it will happen eventually based on what I've read on here). The training programs I've seen them do here are not very good. I know that when I was moved from small sort to unload, I was just thrown in a trailer and told "labels up". The "training sups" that I've seen here pretty much just sit at the end of the trailer filling out paperwork or texting. Friday night, one of them let 2 hazmats (with no sigs from hazmat guy) down the belt.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm actually going to agree with Upstate here, and while I've not worked preload myself I can see that number as attainable; however, if volume, flow, and other variables make it impossible it's not the loaders fault. We should strive to do our best to service the customer, and we as hourlies should be doing our best to ensure it happens. Still doesn't mean supervisors should be doing our work, but realistic goals should be set for us by them.

The preload "UPS" requested number in our building is 230 an hour. That is 10 more than last year (how do they figure THAT if nothing has changed? lol) Anyhow, do you think 300 something is attainable if UPS!! thinks 230 is a standard? It is not and not even close by a wide margin.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm part-time sup, but I must say you drivers that are yelling at us about touching packages MAKES ME SICK! All were doing is trying to get you out on the road faster. I don't understand what the big deal is. I know if I was a driver I could give 2 hoots what boxes sups touch. I don't care if its in the contract or not you are just delaying your start time by not allowing us to help out. Stop being so ignorant and just worry about your deliveries instead of trying to sit around waiting for us to touch boxes. GET A LIFE!

Hey guys I just passed my supervisor exam and will be starting as supervisor next Monday. I was just wondering since I've only been working there for a few months and now that I have become sup do I get benefits right away or how does it work?

lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The preload "UPS" requested number in our building is 230 an hour. That is 10 more than last year (how do they figure THAT if nothing has changed? lol) Anyhow, do you think 300 something is attainable if UPS!! thinks 230 is a standard? It is not and not even close by a wide margin.

The discussion was about loading an empty trailer, not a package car(s), which is why I said that 1 pkg every 10 seconds is a steady work pace.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Sometimes the truth hurts.

hot air - gas bags - etc, etc stand around the center one morning (if you have not in a while) and listen to the drivers:

I'm not gonna...
So and So is screwing me...
I don't know that route....
Who the hell gave me that...
I'm gonna....
I gotta have off today...
I'm bumpin....
I'm gonna file....
Can so and so do that...

feel free to add your own....
thats actually pretty funny

tieguy

Banned
Your point is noted. He should have tried it for 4 hours instead of 2 minutes in a empty package car. My four 4 year daughter could keep up that pace for 2 minutes with the right size boxes.

You just comfirm my thought on the whole situation. The desk jockeys come up where there number using a Static environment model (perfect world scenario)in reality we work in a dynamic environment where things change all the time.

If the number they came up with were achievable then PT SUPs would have to touch a package.

wonderful rhetoric. Problem is I gave you a divison manger who got out from behind his desk and demonstrated what he wanted in a less then perfect world scenario. Watching him do snowmen for four hours does not sound appealing.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I'm part-time sup, but I must say you drivers that are yelling at us about touching packages MAKES ME SICK! All were doing is trying to get you out on the road faster. I don't understand what the big deal is. I know if I was a driver I could give 2 hoots what boxes sups touch. I don't care if its in the contract or not you are just delaying your start time by not allowing us to help out. Stop being so ignorant and just worry about your deliveries instead of trying to sit around waiting for us to touch boxes. GET A LIFE!

Personally, I think you should go ahead and load all day every day. Nothing better than getting those grievance checks in the mail!! Have I ever mentioned I get double pay for every second a sup works and I file on it. I could make a living off you. Keep up the good work Edman!! Your my favorite kind of Sup.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The discussion was about loading an empty trailer, not a package car(s), which is why I said that 1 pkg every 10 seconds is a steady work pace.

I didn't respond to your post, I responded to NimNim who said preload. Since you have never worked inside UPS, it's of no use discussing it with you.

fethrs

After asking about certain tests and advice about becoming a pt sup you finally made it, now it looks like it may be more than you bargained for.
You may be sick and tired of the drivers but just wait until something goes wrong and you hear from your sup and managers.

TheDick

Its funny that other mgmnt would defend the PT's because when the higher ups come to visit they look at PT's ,well they act as if they dont even exist. So i see the PT's as pre-loaders who get to walk around all night and "demonstrate" proper loading mewthods. I pity the PT's. But yeah you handling pkgs doesnt help your numbers, your padding them. Doesnt help the sort in the long run