I'm so glad I retired...

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I retired Feb. 2011 and so glad I did. I could've stayed, I had a cushy job at the customer counter, no overtime, and I started at 12:30 pm everyday. We used our breaks to cover our lunchtime so I was out at 8:30 every night. It was so easy but I'd had enough. I waited until my seniority date and cashed out all my vacations and personal day and hung up my uniform for good.

I think back now and I have no regrets. Sure I could've stayed but for what? Stay home and collect money, or still be working for around 10 bucks/hour would've been the difference. I know most of you THINK you need to keep active by working, but believe me when I tell you that you'll be plenty active in retirement. Hell, I've even lost more than 30 lbs; and I wasn't fat to begin with.

I say take the money from your retirement and run and never look back, you'll be glad you did.

upschuck

It has got to get boring trying to think of things to do. Let's see, what should I do today, go camping, go to the tool store, go golfing, take a trip, work on a hobby. I'm glad I don't have those decisions to make everyday. :biggrin:

I retired 4 weeks ago as a driver for 31 years. I get calls from my co-workers on how bad it is right now. I sure am glad I left when I did. I have a bad back (herniated discs) and bad ankle( fractured 2 bones and chipped 2 bones.) I don't think if I had stayed I would last any longer. The only thing I have to worry about is the 15 lbs I have gained in the last year since my body has shut done from the job. I think I'll go walking now and say hi and good luck to the drivers passing me bye. The place I go walking is where my route was. I see my replacement driver and he flips me off. We are good friends.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am enjoying myself 18 months into my retirement.
I have photography to provide purpose and spending time with my grandson and daughter ... headed off to lunch with them.
I am still working on developing a community of friends.
Not much structure which I am working on ... just got up. Went to sleep at 3 am and up at 11:30 am. I am getting use to not having goals and deadlines but I stay busy with projects around the house.
I don't really miss work but I do miss the people.

raceanoncr

One of the best decisions of my life. Almost 4 years in now and ain't visited down there ONCE (like so many others are bent to do).

Each day that passes means another day that I am thankful. Not one boring day yet.

Get up and have coffee with wife at 7. Read local lame-stream media rag. Fix breakfast. Get on the old Commodor 64. Play a little with that, and sometimes with this. Have lunch with wife once a week. Do grocery store maybe twice a month. Start going down list of which cocktail to enjoy the rest of the day. Hit the local watering hole/keno establishment to partake of a few adult beverages on Fridays. Maybe visit grandkids, maybe not. Former co-worker on vacation wanted to do lunch two days ago...did it...because I could. Play out in garage whenever I want to. ALWAYS play in pool when weather permits.

It's a rough life. And, no, I don't look at bank account except just to balance or check on any fraudulent activities...meaning...I planned my retirement so I wouldn't be hurting.

Good luck to all those nearing. I hope your life is as fulfilling as mine.

If you are NOT nearing, please plan NOW. Pay off bills/loans, stash $ into any accounts available to you NOW.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
It was whirlwind for me. I was scrambling the very next day after retirement to load up the moving truck. Had one friend picking up the four wheel car trailer as it was not where I picked up the Budget truck. Other friends were helping me load up the truck. My wife was helping with the new renters of my house that I still own that showed up at the last minute to pay us the first month + 1 1/2 months security deposit and they paid in cash! So we finally get on the road about 3 pm and get just out of Jersey maybe a couple hundred miles into PA for the first night. Very exciting day for me. End of an era and the start of a new one as we were on our way to Arizona to start our retired life.

Hey it was 107 here today but the humidity was 1. Played in the pool most of the day. I actually got out on the Hog and made a few laps around the valley before the heat was just too unbearable. Wife is looking over the Winnebago rental schedule for the next couple months and she sees while we are out at dinner that we have a window of opportunity to take a trip. Going to Flagstaff, visit the Lowell Observatory, maybe take a bike ride to the South Rim of CC. Ahh yes, life is grand. You box pushers keep working hard to keep me safe at home.:)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I retired 4 weeks ago as a driver for 31 years. I get calls from my co-workers on how bad it is right now. I sure am glad I left when I did. I have a bad back (herniated discs) and bad ankle( fractured 2 bones and chipped 2 bones.) I don't think if I had stayed I would last any longer. The only thing I have to worry about is the 15 lbs I have gained in the last year since my body has shut done from the job. I think I'll go walking now and say hi and good luck to the drivers passing me bye. The place I go walking is where my route was. I see my replacement driver and he flips me off. We are good friends.
Congratulation good for you, enjoy yourself you certainly earned it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Tell that too all the :censored2:es who don't do their homework and all the :censored2:es who don't bother to vote ya know. Im with ya G. Need to get Hoffa and Hall the hell out of Dodge lol.

Tell that too all the :censored2:es who don't do their homework and all the :censored2:es who don't bother to vote ya know. Im with ya G. Need to get Hoffa and Hall the hell out of Dodge lol.
IVE GOT something for them!

1402056906633.jpg

The Milkman

I retired Feb. 2011 and so glad I did. I could've stayed, I had a cushy job at the customer counter, no overtime, and I started at 12:30 pm everyday. We used our breaks to cover our lunchtime so I was out at 8:30 every night. It was so easy but I'd had enough. I waited until my seniority date and cashed out all my vacations and personal day and hung up my uniform for good.

I think back now and I have no regrets. Sure I could've stayed but for what? Stay home and collect money, or still be working for around 10 bucks/hour would've been the difference. I know most of you THINK you need to keep active by working, but believe me when I tell you that you'll be plenty active in retirement. Hell, I've even lost more than 30 lbs; and I wasn't fat to begin with.

I say take the money from your retirement and run and never look back, you'll be glad you did.

Xman, I thought like you, the difference between working and the pension was a no brainer. Left 1/1/08, as soon as I was eligible. Bailed from Jersey asap and headed to AZ where our pension $$$ would go farther, funny that we now live closer in AZ than we did in Jersey. Like you I got an RV and as I type I have been in Cody Wyoming the last 7 days of a 4 wk trip. Been on 2 3 months up to Alaska,heck even slept at the Arctic Circle.
Avg life span 70. Stay at UPS till 65, That leaves you with 60 months on avg before your dirt nap. What good is it to work your body to death and limp out into retirement just to croak a few yrs down the road. No regrets here Xman, except one.....That UPS would of kept their word on our retirement pkg. Want to die Happy and Broke....we can't take it with us...Last time I checked the mortality rate for humans is 100%. Been on paid vacation since 08 and enjoying every minute of it. We only go around once in Life...Peace

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Good to hear from ya Milkman, I like the way you think dude. Retired, chillin enjoying life, good for you brother. I love to hear that kind of talk. I cant wait to roll up out of here to in 13.5 years, if the good lord allows me too. You totally get it, that's for sure.

The Milkman

Xman, I thought like you, the difference between working and the pension was a no brainer. Left 1/1/08, as soon as I was eligible. Bailed from Jersey asap and headed to AZ where our pension $$$ would go farther, funny that we now live closer in AZ than we did in Jersey. Like you I got an RV and as I type I have been in Cody Wyoming the last 7 days of a 4 wk trip. Been on 2 3 months up to Alaska,heck even slept at the Arctic Circle.
Avg life span 70. Stay at UPS till 65, That leaves you with 60 months on avg before your dirt nap. What good is it to work your body to death and limp out into retirement just to croak a few yrs down the road. No regrets here Xman, except one.....That UPS would of kept their word on our retirement pkg. Want to die Happy and Broke....we can't take it with us...Last time I checked the mortality rate for humans is 100%. Been on paid vacation since 08 and enjoying every minute of it. We only go around once in Life...Peace

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Can't argue with your thoughts about retirement.
However, the US Government now predicts the average lifespan to be 84 years now for people at age 55-64.
I assume that age will go up for people younger than 55.

Xman I thought like you, the difference between working and the pension was a no brainer. Left 1/1/08, as soon as I was eligible. Bailed from Jersey asap and headed to AZ where our pension $$$ would go farther, funny that we now live closer in AZ than we did in Jersey. Like you I got an RV and as I type I have been in Cody Wyoming the last 7 days of a 4 wk trip. Been on 2 3 months up to Alaska,heck even slept at the Arctic Circle.
I always remember one of my co workers,He put his time In....and a year later he was gone ALS...WHAT A WAY TO GO!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I always remember one of my co workers,He put his time In....and a year later he was gone ALS...WHAT A WAY TO GO!
Reminds me of one of the last female drivers in my center...she got hurt just before peak a few yrs ago...needed surgery. She found out she also had stage 3 cancer around the same time... died a few months later...only had a year left before retirement. She was only 46....crazy.