In the wrong place at the wrong time

You're being WAY too nice.

LOL, OP, you almost had me spray my rice and beans onto the monitor, thanks.:happy-very:

I actually thought this was a picture of a young Keith Richards.

rolling_stones_8.jpg
Don't forget, Winehouse is 40 years younger than Richards and Jagger. She may be closing in on their "miles" though.

M

Mike23

Had a hooker stumbling down the middle of the street...umm, witnessed drug deal between a homeless person selling drugs (how can he afford drugs?!) and a young guy.

My fav is the traffic accident I witnessed, not so much for the accident reason though. It happened because someone thought the person infront of them was going to drive so just hammered the snot out of the back of the car. Anyways, people in the first car looked like they had some whiplash but were otherwise ok. No other car stopped (typical) so I was the only 'witness'. I phoned my sup and he told me I had pickups to do and just leave the accident while giving my number to someone involved in the accident...umm...leaving the scene of an accident before talking to anyone 'official', great idea sup!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This may sound cold but I agree with your sup. You were not involved in the accident but did witness it and leaving your name and phone number so that you can be contacted later would be greatly appreciated by the people in the snot hammered car and allows you to continue working. Now, if you are First Aid certified and help is needed, then by all means render assistance until the ambulance arrives but, other than that, giving a statement after you punch out will work just as well as giving it at the scene.

M

Mike23

This may sound cold but I agree with your sup. You were not involved in the accident but did witness it and leaving your name and phone number so that you can be contacted later would be greatly appreciated by the people in the snot hammered car and allows you to continue working. Now, if you are First Aid certified and help is needed, then by all means render assistance until the ambulance arrives but, other than that, giving a statement after you punch out will work just as well as giving it at the scene.

Just by chance I am first aid certified. Due to the injuries involved and the hard impact of the cars was wanting to make sure nobody went into shock since everyone was REALLY shaken up (air bags deployed and all that). I just waited for about 5min, firefighters showed up, I gave'em my contact info and asked them to pass it onto police. What would look worse, UPS missing a pickup or UPS driver found guilty of leaving the scene of an accident if someone were to slip into shock or who knows what else? I mean the whole 1/2 of the car was totaled on the back end.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You did the right thing in this instance by staying.

I am not first aid certified so any help I would be able to provide would be limited to traffic control. If I were to witness an accident while working I would assess the situation, contact the police, and then leave my name and phone number so that I could be contacted if needed.

M

Mike23

You did the right thing in this instance by staying.

I am not first aid certified so any help I would be able to provide would be limited to traffic control. If I were to witness an accident while working I would assess the situation, contact the police, and then leave my name and phone number so that I could be contacted if needed.

I think it all depends on the situation of the accident too. I'm sure if you see someone pooling blood everywhere you wouldn't just leave your number and say, 'call me'. Even someone with no first aid knows to try to stem the bleeding (thanks hollywood!). Shock is one of the regular causes of death after an accident. Easiest thing to do is get a blanket, cover them in it, keep them talking, where they're from, who they are, etc... That's the basic way to deal with it at least until the paramedics arrive.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There is an old saying that goes something like. " If someone is accusing you of being dishonest, they probably are themselves
I think at times that could apply to our LP department?

My daughter was looking over my shoulder while I was scanning the thread.

She stated that not only was Amy a loser, but in that photo she was on her period and without underwear.

My daughter doesnt miss a thing.

When I first started driving there was a single wide trailer next to the Harley shop that housed a massage parlor. One morning I cruised by on the four lane and saw a woman crouching behind a car next to the road. At that time I also saw the side window blow out of the car. Standing in the doorway was a guy with a rifle shooting at the woman behind the car.

I stopped at the Harley shop and called the police. Lucky for her they got there fast, and he was a bad shot.

Then I also remember that there was a hostage situation at a bank that ended up in a getaway car. One of our drivers ended up blocking the path, and they ran into him, causing the hostages to be rescued. UPS at first fired him, but then changed their mind when the police hailed him as a hero. At least that is what I remember of it. Maybe some of the lifers here can remember more details.

Last, there was a struggle out in the mall parking lot. A young guy was beating the hell out of a young woman, and an elderly couple was trying to get him off of her.

I pulled up, got out and stepped between him and her. Said something like maybe you want to have some of me. AT first he started toward me, maybe two steps, then stopped. Cussed me, turned and got in his car and left.

About three seconds later, Scotty, one of our feeder delivery drivers had seen what looked like me getting ready to get mobbed so he came running. Girl ended up needing hospitalization.

d

over9five

Staff member

I would agree with leaving your name and continuing your pickups.

But call the police when you return to the center and give your statement while on the clock.
If you're ever subpoenaed to appear as a witness in any proceeding because of this, you get paid for that as well.

P

pickup

I was once in the right place, but it was the wrong time. The movie actually started @10:15 not 10:40 like I thought it did.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would agree with leaving your name and continuing your pickups.

But call the police when you return to the center and give your statement while on the clock.
If you're ever subpoenaed to appear as a witness in any proceeding because of this, you get paid for that as well.

The accident was not work related nor did it involve a UPS vehicle. He witnessed the accident so I don't see where he should get paid for giving a statement.

over9five

Staff member
Article 35

"In case an employee shall be subpoenaed as a witness in a company related case, or as a result of his/her on duty observation of an accident not involving a UPS vehicle, he/she shall be reimbursed for all time lost and expenses incurred"

P

pickup

Seems like it is comparable to jury duty which is paid by UPS.

Scratch,
How do I get called for jury duty?

never happen for you hoax, it has to be a jury of one's peers. You're one of a kind . They broke the mold after they made you, on purpose.

Don't try that in Texas, you'll be fined for leaving the scene of an accident and failing to render aid. It doesn't matter if you are trained or not. Now, once cops, first responders or fire dept shoe, you are free to go without penalty. Of course if you are a witness of the accident leave your name and #.

Tiny Panda

I've been caught up in 2 robberies, once i was delivering next door to a betting shop when i heard a commution from inside, cue two guys falling out the door with what looked like a knife and the manager throwing a chair at them as they tried to leg it.

Second time i was parked outside a jewellers when an Impreza pulled up on the sidewalk in front, as it did so i looked out to see 4 guys pulling on banaclavas, they lept out and began smashing the jewellers windows with baseball bats and sledgehammers. As the glass was toughened they took a couple of mins by which time myself and a couple other people had waded into fight them off, one guy sprayed one with a fire extinguisher and another tried grabbing one of the bats, by this time they had grabbed a load of stuff out the windows and out it in pillow cases, as they turned to run back to the car one guy dropped a pillow case full of stuff in the window display, as he turned to pick it up i swung my trolley full force around my head and knocked him off his feet, dropping everything he had. He picked up a few bits but left most of it and legged it back to the car where they made a fast exit.
Luckily due to my interest in cars i had seen the exact same car about 20 mins before in a nearby village and saw the drivers face so could give a good description as once they got out the car they had their faces covered.

M

Mike23

as they turned to run back to the car one guy dropped a pillow case full of stuff in the window display, as he turned to pick it up i swung my trolley full force around my head and knocked him off his feet, dropping everything he had. He picked up a few bits but left most of it and legged it back to the car where they made a fast exit.

Then you got in crap by management for not slapping a waybill on the pillow case and attempting to charge the jewelry place for 'delivering' the items ;)

DS

Fenderbender
Second time i was parked outside a jewellers when an Impreza pulled up on the sidewalk in front, as it did so i looked out to see 4 guys pulling on banaclavas, they lept out and began smashing the jewellers windows with baseball bats and sledgehammers. As the glass was toughened they took a couple of mins by which time myself and a couple other people had waded into fight them off, one guy sprayed one with a fire extinguisher and another tried grabbing one of the bats, by this time they had grabbed a load of stuff out the windows and out it in pillow cases, as they turned to run back to the car one guy dropped a pillow case full of stuff in the window display, as he turned to pick it up i swung my trolley full force around my head and knocked him off his feet, dropping everything he had. He picked up a few bits but left most of it and legged it back to the car where they made a fast exit.
Luckily due to my interest in cars i had seen the exact same car about 20 mins before in a nearby village and saw the drivers face so could give a good description as once they got out the car they had their faces covered.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself and fear itself fears Tiny Panda