In the wrong place at the wrong time

Jim Kemp

I was wondering, has anybody out there in UPS land ever walked up on a crime being committed?
It seems that with, (I am guessing 100,000 drivers?) on the road making 100-150 stops per day someone would have gotten involved in something.

I have been questioned twice by our center team about what time I had made certain stops(back when we were on paper). Seems the house had been robbed after I had made a del. Never found out anything else and never questioned by police about it.

Somebody must have some good stories about this so lets hear them.

DS

Fenderbender
I was del to a mall a long time ago and the purolator driver told me there was some dude stealing pks from my bd, by the time I got there he was long gone and all the clock gallery pkgs were gone.Callled the center manager and the police were there in a flash.I was cross examined like I was an accomplice.
The next day I had a new security lock on my bulkhead.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Back when I was driving a P3 Ford Econline van , one day around the corner from where I was parked, a Fedx van of the same make had its rear door open. I didn't give it a thought, until later that day when I reached a stop & couldn't find a brand new laser printer I knew I had loaded.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I had a OCA P/U at a bank one day. As I was entering the front door another guy was exiting. I step to the side and hold the outer door for him to pass first ( I'm nice that way :wink2:). As he passes me, I think to myself, "Hey, that looks like a shotgun". I turn to get a second look and he's running as fast as he can down the sidewalk, shotgun in hand. Police caught him one block later. They thought they should probably ask the guy running down the street with a shotgun, what he was doing.

Saw a purse snatching once.

I've seen a couple of disagreements where handguns were being waved around.

Several police chases (as a bystander :happy2:).

Had a hypodermic needle stuck in the bottom of my shoe. I guess that's "stepping in the wrong place at the wrong time".

Just last week I saw a couple of hookers duking it out in the middle of the street.

Tooner would probably feel right at home on my route. :happy2:

Big Babooba

I walked into a business once just as the local gendarmes were taking the owner out in handcuffs. He asked me to come back the next day. I've interrupted a few drug deals over the years. Those scare me the most. You don't know the mindset of the participants.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I had a OCA P/U at a bank one day. As I was entering the front door another guy was exiting. I step to the side and hold the outer door for him to pass first ( I'm nice that way :wink2:). As he passes me, I think to myself, "Hey, that looks like a shotgun". I turn to get a second look and he's running as fast as he can down the sidewalk, shotgun in hand. Police caught him one block later. They thought they should probably ask the guy running down the street with a shotgun, what he was doing.

Saw a purse snatching once.

I've seen a couple of disagreements where handguns were being waved around.

Several police chases (as a bystander :happy2:).

Had a hypodermic needle stuck in the bottom of my shoe. I guess that's "stepping in the wrong place at the wrong time".

Just last week I saw a couple of hookers duking it out in the middle of the street.

Tooner would probably feel right at home on my route. :happy2:

I hope you meant as an observer! :wink2:

After I posted I thought about that. "Nah, no one will take it that way", I thought. Then along comes Hoax... Thanks. :happy-very:

Let me clarify.

Tooner's route and mine have a lot of similarities.
Ha Ha Ha, holy Hoax, Batman!:wink2:

I was doing our letterbox pickup route one evening. There's like 20 or so letterboxes on this route, which are all over town. As I get to one LBX, I notice that there was just a traffic accident. A pickup truck slammed into the rear of a car at a traffic light, causing several cars to rear end each other. As I finish at the LBX and start pulling away, I notice the pickup backing up and think to myself, they're probably going to pull into the nearby parking lot, to get off of the road and out of the way.

Well, the driver does just this, except, he keeps driving further and further away, into the parking lot. I'm in a 500 and go around parking lot from another street. I see 2 people exit the pickup and start running away from the scene. I park my pkg car right there in the roadway, jump out and begin pursuit of the driver, who is obviously drunk. He runs into a quiet neighborhood nearby. As I'm chasing him, I'm yelling, HEY YOU, STOP, YOU JUST LEFT THE SCENE OF A COLLISION!

He doesn't stop, but it's dark out, and people start turning on their porch lights, to see what all the commotion is. About 3 blocks into the chase, I see the guys not going to stop, so I jump up and kick him in the back, knocking him to the ground. He tries getting up, but I yell at him to stay down. As people start coming outside, I yell for someone to call 911. I leave a neighbor to watch over the now "sleepy drunk", run back to my pkg car and tell the police where to find the driver of the wrecked pickup.

I give details of the events to the police and continue on the route. Never a dull moment, LOL.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I had a customer tell me she had nothing going today.. She said my helper came by and grabbed the Pkgs... when I tod her I had no helper,she freaked out!! Said a guy in Browns came by and told her he was to pick up ALL the Toys For Tots presents for the regular UPS driver! Told her we don't even pick up the Toys,the Marines do she cried right there... sad thing,I called cops and then told C.M to see if Brown could help them out NOT OUR PROBLEM I was told..Merry friigen Christmas what a scumbag

Leftinbuilding

I delivered to a men's clothing store and every package was cod. The owner was of Middle East descent. He was always suspicious and wanted to inventory every box before payment. Needless to say, we had our share of "discussions". Anyway, to make a long story long, one Sat morning I read in the paper where the FBI had raided this store the night before. The store was a front for some terrorist group and all the profits were being channeled to terrorists. Unfortunately, the proprietor was tipped off and fled the country one step ahead of the FBI. As an aside, I have noticed over the years, that when customers are consistently suspicious, many times, they are involved in some nefarious activity. Have seen it many times and even began to successfully peg some.

I delivered to a men's clothing store and every package was cod. The owner was of Middle East descent. He was always suspicious and wanted to inventory every box before payment. Needless to say, we had our share of "discussions". Anyway, to make a long story long, one Sat morning I read in the paper where the FBI had raided this store the night before. The store was a front for some terrorist group and all the profits were being channeled to terrorists. Unfortunately, the proprietor was tipped off and fled the country one step ahead of the FBI. As an aside, I have noticed over the years, that when customers are consistently suspicious, many times, they are involved in some nefarious activity. Have seen it many times and even began to successfully peg some.

There is an old saying that goes something like. " If someone is accusing you of being dishonest, they probably are themselves."

moreluck

golden ticket member
That is the type of owner of a store if I walk in I turn around and walk out. I find more dishonesty in business dealings (retail & such) that I avoid them like the plague. Mervyns was a store like that......all emplyees of Middle Eastern descent.....I quit shopping there. They have since closed all S.Cal. stores.....not because of my boycott, I'm sure.....but good news anyway.

My hubby went to a men's clothing store in the mall a few years back....to get cheap suits for management job. The clerk was Middle Eastern....same thing, we walked out. Did it at a car dealership too. I refuse to knowingly do business with them.

So, call me a bigot, I don't care. I refuse to deal with what I consider our enemy!

raceanoncr

Not a crime, but was the only witness to a guy getting smushed beneath trailer wheels whilst returning to building in feeders.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I step to the side and hold the outer door for him to pass first ( I'm nice that way :wink2:). :happy2:

Same thing happened to me. I held the door open for this woman who looked like she was in a hurry. She even thanked me as she passed through. In a few minutes cops were swarming all over the place.

They caught the lady a block away who just passed the teller a note to give her all the money.

Too bad I didn't have the chance to do what STUG did and jump up and kick her in the back.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
The clerk was Middle Eastern....same thing, we walked out. Did it at a car dealership too. I refuse to knowingly do business with them.

So, call me a bigot, I don't care. I refuse to deal with what I consider our enemy!

This is a story worth repeating. When 911 happened, a PEPSI driver was delivering to a store with Middle Eastern owners. Upset that they were celebrating the events of the WTC tragedy, he called his boss explained the situation. PEPSI authorized him to go ahead and pull all the PEPSI products from the store immediately.

When this story made the noon local news here, vendors who serviced that store started pulling all their products from this store until the shelves were practically bare. In a week or so the store closed because no one would sell anything to them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is a story worth repeating. When 911 happened, a PEPSI driver was delivering to a store with Middle Eastern owners. Upset that they were celebrating the events of the WTC tragedy, he called his boss explained the situation. PEPSI authorized him to go ahead and pull all the PEPSI products from the store immediately.

When this story made the noon local news here, vendors who serviced that store started pulling all their products from this store until the shelves were practically bare. In a week or so the store closed because no one would sell anything to them.
Good example of "What Freedom of Speech" actually is.
The government can't restrict an individual's freedom of speech but non-government entities and individuals can and do. Good for all the vendors and suppliers.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Good for the vendors and good for the Pepsi driver reporting it.

browniehound

I was in an upscale neighborhood during a summer month. It was a relatively dense residential neighborhood. The cars in the driveways are Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc.. I had about 5 stops on a street the lenght of about 3 football fields.

As I walk back to the package car, I noticed a man in his mid 20s riding a bike. He was not a cyclist because he was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

Anyway, I found it quite odd for such an upscale neighborhood. Sure enough, I 'rolled up' lol for a delivery to a modest house surrounded by million dollar 'tear downs'. I walk to the garage with the package to find the owner's 40 year-old son in the midst of a heroin nod.

If I wintness the 'biker' again, should I report it to the police or should have I already reported it [question mark]

I'm thinking I shouldn't report it. The man has a problem and jail is not going to fix it.