Injured Off the Job

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by spmoto, Dec 23, 2012.

1. spmoto

spmoto New Member

Went snowboarding yesterday and broke my left wrist in addition to injuring my right ankle. I will be in a cast for 4 to 6 weeks per the doctors instructions. I know that UPS has zero use for me in my current condition, but my question is do I still have a job? I'm a permanent part time employee with about 3 years seniority. Is this something that I should get with the Union on?

If UPS does not have any work for me should I contact my states unemployment office? I'm really worried that I might not have a job after 6 weeks.
  2. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

File for disability through your insurance. You will not lose your job.
  3. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Call your boss before your 1st shift and find out what Doctor's notes they need. Then call your H&W hotline to file for disability. There is usually a 1 week waiting period. Also talk to the H&W people about if your benefits will be maintained and if not, what you have to maintain your insurance.

You should have your same job when you are released to full duty. Heal well.
  4. barnyard

The number for your H&W people will be on the back of your insurance card.
  5. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

should he get a union withdrawal card so he doesn't have to pay back dues?
  6. barnyard

You only need a withdrawal card if you are leaving employment. He is not, will be on disability which is administered by the union.
  7. sortaisle

sortaisle Livin the cardboard dream

Your job is safe. I think they'll hold it for 2 yrs. After that, they have the option to Washington anyway...
  8. Kis124

Kis124 Member

Actually, if he doesn't want to have to pay back dues, he should get one. I was out for 3.5 months on an injury not sustained at UPS, and they too 3 months of dues from me upon return
  9. uber

uber Guest

Not true. I was on disability for 10 months and withdrew so I didn't have to pay union dues.
  10. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

We have a girl on the books from 2007. Haven't seen her since, and she is still top seniority pt air driver.
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Are you sure they couldn't use you, if even only to scan packages?
  12. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Or, DA maybe.
  13. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

They won't use anyone who is not on comp for light duty. At least in our building, many have tried.
  14. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

I didn't even think of that. The FT casual running my route broke his foot two weeks ago. They won't let him work light duty. God forbid, he gets hurt worse on the clock.
  15. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

off the job injury's require full medical release and have to goto clinic to pass "return to work" series of tests... and the tests are different for each job classification...