Interesting Situation...

over9five

Staff member
Strange. In another thread, a supervisor lied to and then stole money from an hourly employee. Most posters said he should get another chance.

In this thread, a driver futured a package that was later found empty, and you all want to hang him.

Makes me ill.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree. Its a pkg, its been around too long, get it to a clerk, and get it handled. And since its empty, they will figure it out. Doesnt matter whos (driver) pkg it was, it may have never been on his truck. That is a history tracking done by the clerk will figure out. Ive had pkgs loaded in my truck, empty, and I sure as heck didnt take the stuff. Im glad no one ever thought I did. Except once...and hes long gone. And he had no reason to suspect me, he just did.

canon

and I sure as heck didnt take the stuff. Im glad no one ever thought I did. Except once...and hes long gone. And he had no reason to suspect me, he just did.
What did u do to him? :scared:

If the driver did take it, I find it funny he used his own board 3 times to sheet it as future too. I hope we get an update on all this lol.

SmithBarney

Quick Follow up...

a few more bits of info, this package/driver are in
a satellite building so they have very little(no) daily supervision

I accessed the OMS computer, its almost a public terminal
its not rocket science,
I printed the info for package, and left it on the sups desk.

Also left a note with the box explaining what was being
done could get them fired offense and left it at the drivers counter.

Needless to say the driver took care of it. The driver is a little new.

Did I overstep my job description? maybe. I probably would have been
okay with it if the package hadn't been opened, I know stuff happens.

But remember the customer isn't just the person getting the package..
Some guy in Cleveland(or whereever) is sitting waiting for a 300$ check
Meanwhile his product is being used and enjoyed? for free?

I'd like to think I know the difference between right and wrong..
and something definitely wasn't right..

HazMatMan

We shouldn't put a price on theft like one poster wrote about the item not being that expensive and how he couldn't see the driver stealing it. I've seen people get fired for stealing/taking pens, sunglasses etc... if something falls out of a box DO NOT TOUCH IT!! (unless directed by a supervisor to repack it) If you didn't come in with it, then you don't leave with it. Something is definately up with that driver/package/c.o.d.

HazMatMan

Strange. In another thread, a supervisor lied to and then stole money from an hourly employee. Most posters said he should get another chance.

In this thread, a driver futured a package that was later found empty, and you all want to hang him.

Makes me ill.

In a way you are correct, but in a way you are not. Sups fudge their numbers all the time (not saying it's right, please do not attack me on this) By the sup not doing the right thing by the driver yes the driver will get screwed out of money, BUT, how many times do you see a situation where a driver comes across his own package, futures it several times, and now it's empty. not saying the driver did anything because we are still waiting on the verdict so please once again do not attack me on this issue..

over9five

Staff member
I actually agree with you more than you think.

Fire the driver if it's found out he kept the contents without paying for it.

But the sup who stole from the drivers paycheck must be fired. (Or Mike can make a new video about how the Code of Conduct no longer applies to management).

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What did u do to him? :scared:

It was time for him to retire, when LP cop starts accusing others of theft, coz there is a cardboard box in the back of their personal truck, and thinks he has the right to go drag it out, along side of the truck and scratches the paint, without ever asking said driver, who was in the building, its time to go. All that I ever said was he had a right to check anything in my truck he wants, even tho he had known me for 20 yrs. He just didnt follow proper procedure. All I ever heard was he had the right to do what he did, just not the way he did it. And then he retired. End of story. He is alive and well.

canon

We shouldn't put a price on theft like one poster wrote about the item not being that expensive and how he couldn't see the driver stealing it. I've seen people get fired for stealing/taking pens, sunglasses etc... if something falls out of a box DO NOT TOUCH IT!! (unless directed by a supervisor to repack it) If you didn't come in with it, then you don't leave with it. Something is definately up with that driver/package/c.o.d.

Agreed. I wasn't implying people don't take things like office supplies or overgoods. This was just another piece of the puzzle that a driver would use his own board to sheet something three times as futured, only so he could steal it in the end. Add the factor that he also makes enough to pay for it, and it became even more odd.

What's done is done and it seems the situation is taken care of.

tieguy

Banned
You listen fredless: Listen good!! All the years at UPS, I've been an unfortunate witness of misdeeds by other UPSers'. I dont have the time or the so called drama to report such events, especially when it doesnt affect me one bit. These misdeeds extent further than hourlies, I've seen many misdeeds in managment too....

Okay. Can we then agree that these misdeeds should be immediately reported regardless of who it may be performing them?

The original poster saw something suspicious and started snooping around. He stopped being a Upsers' and turned into a SHERLOCK HOLMES and started his own investigation by tracking the suspected packages himself, hmmm very silly on his part..

I don't see it. I think we would have a lot less crime in this world if everyone did a little snooping and relayed their suspicions to the proper authorities.

something that I would not have done. If in managment, yea, do your job and investigate and get those guilty parties fired, but a hourly, what is there to gain.. does he have a "beef" with the driver, does he want that "snitch's cash award from L.P.,

What if that criminal stole from you or hurt your family would you want the snitch to be a snitch or would you tell him to mind his own business?

I just dont understand why you want to get involved..
I come in to do a job, get my paycheck, go home safely to my family and dont bring that silly UPS drama home to life and family... NOW THIS STORY IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem. If you get robbed or someone hurts your family then just take it like a man and don't expect any help. That way the potential witness can just go home and forget about what he saw that may have helped you catch the thief.

Give me a freakin break.

tieguy

Banned

Makes me ill.

I don't disagree that the punishment for both dishonestys should be the same. But I have not seen a big endorsement for firing the potential COD thief either.
I think all of us have to realize that there is a chance the driver simply will called the package until he had the cash and that someone else stole the contents.
At the same time the fact the package is going to the same driver as the one will calling or no moneying the package is highly suspicious. Not a clear condemnation of the driver but certainly highly suspicious. At some point we have to address the issue and let the process run its course. LP will investigate it. They may try to nail the driver at which point the union will have to look at the facts and defend the driver.

Or LP may investigate and find a member of the cleaning crew is hitting any packages laying around the building.

The end result is fredly has to let the center management folks know what he has seen. Not what he suspects but what he has seen.

If the driver is guilty or if the porter or if the preloader or whomever is stealing from UPS then there is nothing stopping them from stealing from you next.