Is it me or are these packages getting heavier and heavier?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by BurntSienna, Aug 31, 2016.

1. BurntSienna

BurntSienna Member

I've been trying to qualify as a full time driver. Been at it a little over 2 years. I'm currently back to working preload. I have no problem with hard work and I'm not a complainer but today I had to laugh at the amount of bulk and over 70 packages I had to lift off the bottom belt. It was ridiculous. Just back breaking grunt work. I'm not young but I'm in good shape.
    I've heard and read some things about how the size and weight of packages is a lot more than what it used to be. Is it true? What's going on? Don't know how long I can keep doing this without going full time. Looking at driving another peak season. Uggghh. I've been holding on to keep my seniority and because I need the medical benefits for my family. In other words, they've got me by the balls. Thoughts?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Yes, the packages are getting bigger and heavier.

Yesterday I had 2 pieces of RTA furniture and a roll up mattress for a student in college housing. It was all I could do to get them up on to the front porch.

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. KOG72

KOG72 Well-Known Member

Was walking thru our building the other day I thought I was at a Lowe's Warehouse

4. I enjoyed delivering that 134 lb quad engine yesterday. Dear Lord I'm getting old.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. KOG72

KOG72 Well-Known Member

I had one of those king sized bed frames last week going to 2nd floor apt,112lbs that thing sucked

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. Safety first

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

Most of the smalls are going to the Post Office, leaving us with furniture and 40lb bags of dog food in dilapidated boxes.
    Yet somehow, due to technological advances, we are expected to move more pieces faster?
    SMH

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. UpstateNYUPSer

We spend more AM time waiting for the irregs to be brought around.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. That key fob is a big help.
    LMAO

10. Bubblehead

I've been averaging about 40 mins of AM time this month.
    Peak's gonna be "interesting".

11. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Even up here. Used to get 1 maybe 2 over 70's a week... lately, I've got 3 a day

12. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

These are all the things people used to go the store and pick up themselves now they can get everything online. 45 lb bags of dog food is a great example. So instead of someone picking that up at Walmart and pulling right to their front door, we have to lug it from the street all the way to their house.

13. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

The rotation of the earth has slowed creating a decrease in the gravitational pull of the earth. Therefore allowing us to move faster. TTKU

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. UpstateNYUPSer

They would strangle any of us if we put 40 minutes in to our DIADs for AM time.

5-10 minutes is the max that we are allowed to put in there.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

Think of it as job security.

Two Peaks ago I was delivering an add/cut on our former AFB. I had a case of diapers for an obviously worried young mother. "Oh, thank God you're here, I was down to my last two diapers". She was serious. I didn't say a word but shook my head all the way back to the pkg car.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

It's all because a lot of sites now offer free shipping. One would be a fool to lug that stuff home when they can get it delivered free.

17. UpstateNYUPSer

Going to the store, especially with little ones, can be a pain the ass; but, you gotta admit that people have grown soft over the past few years.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

I wonder if she would have thought to go to the store to buy some if her box had gotten lost?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Bubblehead

My AM time is what it is.
    They can't instruct me to falsify my records.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. UpstateNYUPSer

I wanted so badly to ask her that but it was late and I was cold and I didn't really give a **** so it was off to the next stop.