Is it me or are these packages getting heavier and heavier?

rod

Retired 22 years
I still don't understand how so much stuff can be ordered that includes free shipping and its still cheaper to order it on line that buy locally. Makes a person mad realizing just how much things are really marked up. I really try to buy locally but.............

oldngray

nowhere special
I still don't understand how so much stuff can be ordered that includes free shipping and its still cheaper to order it on line that buy locally. Makes a person mad realizing just how much things are really marked up. I really try to buy locally but.............

Its the Amazon strategy of losing money on every order but making up for it with volume.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I've been trying to qualify as a full time driver. Been at it a little over 2 years. I'm currently back to working preload. I have no problem with hard work and I'm not a complainer but today I had to laugh at the amount of bulk and over 70 packages I had to lift off the bottom belt. It was ridiculous. Just back breaking grunt work. I'm not young but I'm in good shape.
I've heard and read some things about how the size and weight of packages is a lot more than what it used to be. Is it true? What's going on? Don't know how long I can keep doing this without going full time. Looking at driving another peak season. Uggghh. I've been holding on to keep my seniority and because I need the medical benefits for my family. In other words, they've got me by the balls. Thoughts?
if something is heavy , can't you ask for help?????

especially with the big awkward boxes.