Is it that hard?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
FYI, tests were conducted and the park brake did stop an identical car. Remember to keep a meaningful amount of tension on the park brake. I have a lot of drivers going around with it backed off because they feel it's too much work to pull it all day otherwise.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
FYI, tests were conducted and the park brake did stop an identical car. Remember to keep a meaningful amount of tension on the park brake. I have a lot of drivers going around with it backed off because they feel it's too much work to pull it all day otherwise.
The car that wrecked may not have had the lever tightened enough, especially if the driver was dumb enough to keep driving it after the brake alarm kept sounding. As far as I am concerned, the supervisor who brought ear plugs out to them as a "solution" to the problem of the alarm going off should be fired.

Bottom rung

Of course they recreated the accident. Too bad they couldn't replicate the stress the driver was under, not knowing what's going to happen unlike a controlled environment. Of course the company had an excuse to blame it on the driver. What if they pulled the brake ten feet later? Just sayin.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Of course they recreated the accident. Too bad they couldn't replicate the stress the driver was under, not knowing what's going to happen unlike a controlled environment. Of course the company had an excuse to blame it on the driver. What if they pulled the brake ten feet later? Just sayin.

Sent using BrownCafe App
They didn't recreate it in the actual package car that it happened in, so whatever results they came up with are meaningless.

Bottom line is that (a) they should never have installed keyless ignition on a 25 yr old POS with a manual transmission and (b) they should never have allowed their management person to coerce the driver into ignoring the brake alarm by giving him earplugs. Peak or no peak, the car should have been pulled from service immediately until repairs were made.

soberups

Don't know if anybody got fired...yet.
And nobody will be as long as the possibility of a lawsuit still exists. Firing someone....even the idiot supervisor whose solution to the brake alarm was a set of earplugs...would constitute an admission of guilt and responsibility on the part of the company. The company has an attorney calling the shots on this one.

soberups

They do have some good forward go. They seem to be reliable, the wiring is it's downfall in my eyes.

Sent using BrownCafe App
If we are talking about the new package cars with the big-block Chevy gasoline engines, they are hideous fuel hogs (like about 5MPG) and according to our mechanics they will be lucky to go 150K miles before requiring a total engine rebuild. Plus the "batmobile" front end and headlights are butt-freaking-ugly. I don't know why we are going back to gas engines when diesels get such better fuel mileage and long term reliability. We have a '95 Freightliner 5-speed P700 with a Powerstroke diesel in our building that has almost 400,000 original miles on the engine and all our mechanics have ever done is replace glow plugs and injectors. I drive it sometimes when my regular car is in the shop and it is a decent work platform that fires right up and still pulls strong. No way in hell will these new cars hold up for the long term like that.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Many of the new Freightliners have arrived with the exhaust manifold bolts not tight. ALL of them are shedding the heat shields on the head pipes. Makes a loud buzz. Starts happening at 5k or less.[/
The heat shield in my Pkg car started to rattling around 5000 and at 5800 still going. Cant wait for it to fall off driving me crazy. Btw I did tell the mechanic about it. Also the mileage is off and is not in my favor, drive 25 miles and it say you only driven 24.

FilingBluesFL

No its a small block. 6.0 ltr like the LS3 Camaro engine. I get 8 mpg . Also despise the shift inhibit. Its going to get some poor sap killed.

I don't believe it is an all-aluminum block like the LS3.

I haven't peeked real hard, but I would imagine the bottom end is Cast Iron as it tends to be cheaper rather than the all aluminum block like the LS's.

The LS3 is also a 6.2L displacement, not a 6.0L. The 6.0L is the LS2

Bottom rung

I'm assuming the company got away from the diesel platform due to the emissions standards the federal government put on them making them unreliable. And well, they stink. We have some old diesels that the city should use for mosquito control they smoke so bad.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mack Grant

To design a decent package delivery vehicle?

In a new 800 the shift inhibit is brutal on this thing and apparently designing a filler neck for fuel that lets you pump fuel quickly is mission impossible.
I noticed that the car has to be COMPLETELY stopped when shifting from drive to reverse and you have to shift slowly or else you get the inhibit message. I imagine they put this feature in to save transmissions but it is a pain in the neck.

PT Car Washer

I'm assuming the company got away from the diesel platform due to the emissions standards the federal government put on them making them unreliable. And well, they stink. We have some old diesels that the city should use for mosquito control they smoke so bad.

Sent using BrownCafe App
But it is so cool to look at that side mirror and watch the black smoke blowing out.