Is loading more about speed?

John Ericson

I was just wondering since I'm a new hire and I seen some pretty bad walls even from the older vets and was wondering if they supervisors rely more on how fast you can keep up the pace

sppollock

I'm pretty sure you will get better answers in one of the small package forums, we in freight don't know anything about building walls, hell we barely know how to load city routes right...

SubPop79

I was just wondering since I'm a new hire and I seen some pretty bad walls even from the older vets and was wondering if they supervisors rely more on how fast you can keep up the pace

No, loading is not 100% about speed. Yes, your supervisors "expect" perfectly flat and sturdy walls reaching to the ceiling that were made at 400 packages per hour, but they know that is not possible. Hell, during peak season (Christmas) you can expect to see quite literal piles of packages when there is no time to scan and load and the truck HS to leave. That said, your supervisors are mostly looking for consistency and efficiency.

There are trade offs though. You can build an ugly wall, but that wall can still be high and sturdy. You can load at 800pph and make a :censored2:ty wall.

If you are worried about keeping the pace up, some tips: 1) Extend your chute so it reaches the back of the truck so you have less distance to walk with heavy packages at the start. 2) Lower the guard at the end of your rollers in the beginning so you don't get exhausted pulling packages all the way up and so you also have less distance to move them to the first bottom rows of packages. 3) Big Wall and Smalls Wall. Depending on the size of your packages, you want the distance from the front of the walls to be about 2 feet, give or take. Leave space between for small packages, oddly shaped packages, bags, and packages you don't know what to do with. If you do this right, you will actually be working on 3 walls at a time - 2 smalls, 1 big. The smalls walls will also keep the main walls sturdier. 4) If you get a straigh shot of, say, book boxes that are 1ft x 5in x 5in, you can stack those off to the side so that you have a continuous "corner stone" for your next few walls. 5) Wear gloves for better grip, cushioning, and protection from sickness.

Always remember that the quickest distance between two points is a straight line. Limit your movement. You will be faster, safer, and healthier.

John Ericson

No, loading is not 100% about speed. Yes, your supervisors "expect" perfectly flat and sturdy walls reaching to the ceiling that were made at 400 packages per hour, but they know that is not possible. Hell, during peak season (Christmas) you can expect to see quite literal piles of packages when there is no time to scan and load and the truck HS to leave. That said, your supervisors are mostly looking for consistency and efficiency.

There are trade offs though. You can build an ugly wall, but that wall can still be high and sturdy. You can load at 800pph and make a :censored2:ty wall.

If you are worried about keeping the pace up, some tips: 1) Extend your chute so it reaches the back of the truck so you have less distance to walk with heavy packages at the start. 2) Lower the guard at the end of your rollers in the beginning so you don't get exhausted pulling packages all the way up and so you also have less distance to move them to the first bottom rows of packages. 3) Big Wall and Smalls Wall. Depending on the size of your packages, you want the distance from the front of the walls to be about 2 feet, give or take. Leave space between for small packages, oddly shaped packages, bags, and packages you don't know what to do with. If you do this right, you will actually be working on 3 walls at a time - 2 smalls, 1 big. The smalls walls will also keep the main walls sturdier. 4) If you get a straigh shot of, say, book boxes that are 1ft x 5in x 5in, you can stack those off to the side so that you have a continuous "corner stone" for your next few walls. 5) Wear gloves for better grip, cushioning, and protection from sickness.

Always remember that the quickest distance between two points is a straight line. Limit your movement. You will be faster, safer, and healthier.
Thanks for those tips your definitely know your stuff

watdaflock?

Tetris was introduced by Nintendo on June 6, 1984, so I find it hard to believe that millennials are still playing it today.
There has been lots of tile-matching type games/smart phones apps since Tetris. Ever heard of Candy Crush or Jewel Mania? I'm sure theirs lots of puzzle games available on today's smart phones.

That's what loading requires= fitting odd shape boxes accordingly.

polyp

1. Use your load stand
  2. Remove all missorts from the trailer
  3. Maintain egress and assert your right to it
  4. Don't try and make irregs 'fit' in your wall if doing so is dangerous
Since you seem to be worried about your pph. By all means, try to figure how how to go at whatever pace you feel you need to, but don't do it by cutting corners on safety. If you stay on long enough, you will probably get hurt.

Don't do anything that will assist management in throwing you under the bus when that happens.

PT Car Washer

After double shifting on the Day Sort loading trailers I have a new respect for loaders. I always thought you just stacked boxes on top of another until you filled the trailer. I did not realize there is a technique to building a good load.