Is Smith Ready To Make the Move to Ground?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Lately, I've seen or heard of a number of Express stations shifting their vehicle fleets around from larger walk-ins to smaller Econolines and vice-versa. Is this simply an efficiency move, or is Smith prepping for the move of E2 and SOS to Ground?

The EFCA is effectively dead for now, as is the change in RLA language that would re-classify Express under the NLRA. The Republicans will stall, delay, or do whatever it takes to protect anti-union employers like Smith, and they've already stated that they will do everything possible to keep our country in neutral for the next 2 years in hope of getting a Republican president in 2012. What a wonderful bunch of "leaders". 2 additional years of the "Bush Plan" and more crap rhetoric about restoring a "free market". Too bad Obama spent his first 2 years kissing Republican butt instead of kicking it. What a disappointment.

Anyway, it's prime time for Fred to make his move. Let's see what the little dictator from the town that God forgot is going to do. No matter what, he'll do his absolute best to screw us over.

Too bad Fred wouldn't take-up something like stunt flying, and invite Limbaugh, Beck, and Hannity to be his wing-walkers. Oh well, we can dream...

vantexan

Our new director mentioned yesterday that Ground now has overnight service. Didn't give details other than it's much cheaper than even our SO service. I'm assuming it's a limited service that would be available to nearby destinations but who knows?

As far as the Democrat/Republican thing, Dems had complete control of the gov't for 2 years. They managed to get their health care bill passed which is infinitely more controversial than the FAA bill. Bottom line is they didn't have the political will to pass the bill, were more than happy to sell us out for whatever contributions they received to their campaign coffers. With the exception of Oberstar they were all talk. I really cringe when I hear the pundits talking about how the evil unions are trying to get their hooks into FedEx. They are so anti-union that they assume things without investigating the reality. So on that political side it's just as bad, the Repubs don't care about what's happening to employees, only care that unions don't horn in on the profits that they feel belong to the stockholders and management. So there you go, very few give a damn about us, we don't matter except for what we can do to produce profit for FedEx. We are here to be used. And let's not say anything negative because potential employees might be scared off. You gotta keep the suckers coming through the front door to replace the disappointed ones fleeing out the back. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

vantexan

I Googled FedEx Ground overnight and it brought up a website with a map that shows where overnight service is available from your zip code. In-state shipments to offices in major cities is a huge part of our business. Our director said our overnight shipments average about $50, but Ground's overnight service averages $5. If this service is relatively new but will grow as customer's learn of it's availability then what happens to Express? I can see why they're consolidating stations as more and more of our business will be handling freight that Ground can't reach overnight. Might not happen overnight, no pun intended, but things are going to change big time down the road.

bbsam

Staff member
It isn't relatively new. We've advertised overnight service since being RPS. Our overnight points are pretty impressive though. Usually 2 1/2 to 3 state areas.

bbsam

Staff member
That's true. In fact, RPS never did any advertising. All sales staff and word of mouth. American Honda, Dick Blick Art Supplies, and Walmart know all about it. Then again, alot of companies including competitors dismissed the service and our company without much thought at all. We weren't supposed to succeed. We're are a second rate operation...that's stealing your lunch money!:happy-very::surprised::peaceful:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It isn't relatively new. We've advertised overnight service since being RPS. Our overnight points are pretty impressive though. Usually 2 1/2 to 3 state areas.

That isn't exactly "The World On Time", is it? 2.5 to 3 state areas is about what your average trucking company can do. Yawn...

vantexan

We had a thread awhile back where I mentioned a Ground guy told me he saw an overnight Ground pkg from NYC. I mentioned that FedEx might be running tests, just speculating. Pretty certain that some here denied the existence of overnight service at Ground but I may be wrong. My director's mention of it was the first time I've ever heard of it from a member of management and I've been all over the country. And I doubt a director would bring it up unless there's a reason to.

bbsam

Staff member
We had a thread awhile back where I mentioned a Ground guy told me he saw an overnight Ground pkg from NYC. I mentioned that FedEx might be running tests, just speculating. Pretty certain that some here denied the existence of overnight service at Ground but I may be wrong. My director's mention of it was the first time I've ever heard of it from a member of management and I've been all over the country. And I doubt a director would bring it up unless there's a reason to.
Yeah. About six months ago I was lounging around the terminal at two separate times and came across management staff going through ISP training. Lo and behold fast forward 4 months and BINGO! ISP it is. Things don't just happen. They happen because the company is making them happen.

vantexan

That isn't exactly "The World On Time", is it? 2.5 to 3 state areas is about what your average trucking company can do. Yawn...

No but if you trim most of the in-state or next state over pkgs from the Express system you suddenly need a lot less people. What happens when FedEx starts advertising the Ground service after extensively consolidating facilities? We could really become a part-time service then. I don't know if it makes sense financially to cannibalize Express but this director talked about how UPS has made up a lot of ground on us, no pun intended. If it comes to it they'll most likely advertise anything that'll compete against UPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not for the price we do it at.

I got a Ground package from LA last week. It took 5 days. That isn't very remarkable, nor is Ground. If Fred does do this, he's going to have a good time trying to make it work. If the Republicans empty the prisons to help balance the budget you'll have a whole new crop of driver recruits. Go Boehner!!

vantexan

Yeah. About six months ago I was lounging around the terminal at two separate times and came across management staff going through ISP training. Lo and behold fast forward 4 months and BINGO! ISP it is. Things don't just happen. They happen because the company is making them happen.

My first location was the Hub in Memphis where a mgr told us that the only thing FedEx guarantees it's employees is things will change. Boy was she right!

bbsam

Staff member
I got a Ground package from LA last week. It took 5 days. That isn't very remarkable, nor is Ground. If Fred does do this, he's going to have a good time trying to make it work. If the Republicans empty the prisons to help balance the budget you'll have a whole new crop of driver recruits. Go Boehner!!
Ok. Have it your way. Ground bad, Express good. It's your fantasy, have at it. Prove whatever truth you need to believe. But we aren't going anywere anytime soon.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ok. Have it your way. Ground bad, Express good. It's your fantasy, have at it. Prove whatever truth you need to believe. But we aren't going anywere anytime soon.

OK, if you say so. I admire your trust in FedEx, even if it's extremely misplaced. Your fantasy is that you get the E2 and SOS. Be careful what you wish for, because when the OSS storm troopers start holding you to the Express standards, you might have a nasty surprise in store. Oh wait, none of your drivers are employees, so they can't be held to any standard at all. Call-in the lawyers.

bbsam

Staff member
OK, if you say so. I admire your trust in FedEx, even if it's extremely misplaced. Your fantasy is that you get the E2 and SOS. Be careful what you wish for, because when the OSS storm troopers start holding you to the Express standards, you might have a nasty surprise in store. Oh wait, none of your drivers are employees, so they can't be held to any standard at all. Call-in the lawyers.
I have to admit that I don't know the day to day happenings at Express but I do know that when you post things like that, you really show your ignorance of Ground operations. In fact, from what you post, I would say that if you were to spen a week at a Ground operation, you would probably forget that you aren't at an Express operation. Except for all the great big boxes in place of the tiny little envelopes. You'd probably find yourself amazed that the terminology is all hauntingly familiar. Do you know what CPC is?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have to admit that I don't know the day to day happenings at Express but I do know that when you post things like that, you really show your ignorance of Ground operations. In fact, from what you post, I would say that if you were to spen a week at a Ground operation, you would probably forget that you aren't at an Express operation. Except for all the great big boxes in place of the tiny little envelopes. You'd probably find yourself amazed that the terminology is all hauntingly familiar. Do you know what CPC is?

Here's an example of my "ignorance". Pretend you're hooked-up to a lie detector. Here's your question: Who really runs the show at Ground...the contractors or the FedEx corporation? If you lie, 500,00 volts of electricity will course through your body. Do you know what BFD is? FedEx is so full of useles acronyms that you need a guide to know all of them. What's a SCIT, a QAT, or OSS? How about ROADS, RIP, ROP, SOP, and SIP? What does GENESIS do? I can game you all night with this crap if you want to go that route.

bbsam

Staff member
Stop making my point for me. Yes, Ground would feel very, very familiar to you. And it's not a matter of "who runs the show" but rather how the show is run. Have you ever read the contract? I would guess not since a lot of Ground contractors and management never have either. Fascinating stuff. And when push comes to shove all decisions having to do with contractors end up in front of the legal department in Pittsburgh. You don't have Joe Manager in the midwest trying to rail road people out the door, because it's such a hugely difficult process. So while it is true that Fedex probably ran over the contract in the past, they do find themselves very much subject to it now.

bbsam

Staff member
I asked you what CPC was because I think it's the same between the two companies and I think alot of the terminology between the two is beginning to be that way. I really don't care what the letters mean. I'm getting more at the kinds of systems and programs that are in place and how they are implemented when I suggested you would not see a lot of difference in the operations between Ground and Express from the inside. But no. Not with you. You want everything to be some kind of goofy intellectual competition. Is that that inferiority complex shining through again?